Balcony Smokers on Allure

I don't CONTINUE TO BOOK A BALCONY ROOM. We have never booked a balcony before, but decided to to celebrate our milestone anniversary on our Alaskan cruise. If smoking on balconies is a problem on our cruise, if I know who the offender is, I'll report it to GS. If I can't enjoy the balcony I paid for, then you bet I'm going to complain about selfish people breaking the rules we all agreed to when we booked.

Happy Anniversary to the Ingalls Clan (assuming by your screen name you were a Little House on the Prairie fan)....I hope you have a great time on your cruise :)

Then keep booking balconies and keep being frustrated. If a few of the anti-smokers on this thread are as nasty in person as they are on this thread, I think they're probably a miserable lot in life anyway. IMO, it's all about relaxing, enjoying, and not allowing things to get you so wound up. One's approach in how they handle themselves goes a long way in how things are resolved. As others have stated, few if any smoker wishes to offend others. But if aggressively approached, it then turns the situation into a personality conflict which ultimately loses the important message that the smoking bothers you. As the old saying goes, 'You can attract more bees with honey than vinegar'. My point is, some look for, sieze upon the opportunity to be confrontational, especially w/ smokers. Some actually think smokers are less than others, which is completely false. And then there are others that take a different approach and attempt to reconcile their differences in an adult manner.

FWIW, you don't attract bees with honey. Bees produce and store honey. It's flies you want to catch with honey.

Unsurprisingly, I have no interest in catching flies, or smelling smoke on my balcony.

Why would anyone want to catch smoking bees anyway?

Edited by pharaoh

FWIW, you don't attract bees with honey. Bees produce and store honey. It's flies you want to catch with honey.

Unsurprisingly, I have no interest in catching flies, or smelling smoke on my balcony.

Bees, Flies & Smokers. It seems to be all about catching someone or something.

Every time you drive over the speed limit, you will think about this thread and endangering your life and the lives of others because of the rules of the road.

Enjoy your next cruise!

You seem to be missing my point....we have a load of posters on here complaining about people "breaking the rules", and nothing seems to be done....so going into that, a reasonable person says to themselves that while smoking isn't allowed in most areas of the ship, there are the inconsiderate ones who are all about themselves and will smoke on their balconies....we good so far. We already agree that the "smoke police" aren't really going to do anything about these inconsiderate people. So if smoke bothers you that much, and you have been on numerous cruises that it has ruined your balcony time, WHY WOULD YOU CONTINUE TO BOOK A BALCONY ROOM? Book a room with a window or inside room, save money and not be annoyed by the smoke. I personally don't like smoke. I have been on balconies where close by a person was smoking on their balcony. I went back into my room for about 10 mins, came back out and sat on my balcony. Now I see your retort coming...."they shouldn't be smoking"....you are right, but these are inconsiderate people we are dealing with, so they are going to do what they want to do and to heck with everyone else. Its not right, I get it, but they do it anyway

OK, I try to stay out of these smoking threads because they are never really worth it but have to reply.

Using your logic, people are upset about chair hogs and the cruise lines not doing anything about it. What should we do with this, not go to the pool at all? Of course if we think that they might upset us for "breaking the rules" like we know they do, just stay away from the pool deck.

How about those cutting in line in the buffet, or not using the tongs the correct way? Just don't go to the buffet?

Both of these aren't right and people do it anyway, so just let them? Each of us has our pet peeves about what others do. As adults we either learn to live them or use our resource to correct the offending individuals. I am sure I can come up with many more, but hopefully you get the point.

Bottom line, smoking is NOT allowed on balconies. If I see it and it is impacting my cruise I will call GS. I am not going to deal with a potentially volatile situation by directly confronting the individuals as many other here have. If we all just keep ignoring them and letting them break those rules they will continue. If the cruise line doesn't do something about it then I guess its time to move on to a different line or different type of vacation, but I will give it my best shot first.

Bees, Flies & Smokers. It seems to be all about catching someone or something.

Every time you drive over the speed limit, you will think about this thread and endangering your life and the lives of others because of the rules of the road.

Enjoy your next cruise!

I mean, I am a driver in Miami and most of the time I am just trying to survive, so I doubt this thread will ever come to mind.

You enjoy your next cruise too! With your faulty bee catcher and all.

Why would anyone want to catch smoking bees anyway?

Bee's are actually attracted to honey - along with nectar it's a source of food for them. Without honey, bee's wouldn't survive in the winter time.

Bee's are actually attracted to honey - along with nectar it's a source of food for them. Without honey, bee's wouldn't survive in the winter time.

Really?! Well then, I'll take my sassy pants and go home. Thanks for the correction, I guess the PP's bee catcher ain't so faulty.

Still though, I don't know why anyone would want, presumably, a bowl of smoking bees OR flies.

Really?! Well then, I'll take my sassy pants and go home. Thanks for the correction, I guess the PP's bee catcher ain't so faulty.

Still though, I don't know why anyone would want, presumably, a bowl of smoking bees OR flies.

The "common" phrase is indeed, flies. ;)

Wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ - I have bee's and just thought it was funny that's all.

To each their own, cigarette smoke doesn't bother me but I can understand how others wouldn't like the smell or the health consequences that may come with it. Yeah, they are a fire hazard in certain conditions. I'm not sure how many documented fires have been started from cigs, but I know for sure that a Princess ship caught fire from one.

I smoke cigars, and used to enjoy them on the balcony before they were banned. I would always ask my neighbors (if they happened to be outside leaning over the railing and seemed to be approachable) if they minded if I smoke cigars. Never was told not to!

Rules are rules though! I find the cigar area on the Oasis ships is very pleasant at night, and actually is a more enjoyable environment to enjoy a cigar.

With all this conjecture about fires, I'm shocked that they still let us smoke cigars on Voyager ships in the cigar lounge. Tons of carpet, tons of furniture! Now thats a fire hazard!!!!

I've only been on one cruise, but have never witnessed anyone speeding on board. And personally, I leave my car at home. Maybe I'll see things differently as I become more experienced as a cruiser.

OK, I try to stay out of these smoking threads because they are never really worth it but have to reply.

Using your logic, people are upset about chair hogs and the cruise lines not doing anything about it. What should we do with this, not go to the pool at all? Of course if we think that they might upset us for "breaking the rules" like we know they do, just stay away from the pool deck.

How about those cutting in line in the buffet, or not using the tongs the correct way? Just don't go to the buffet?

Both of these aren't right and people do it anyway, so just let them? Each of us has our pet peeves about what others do. As adults we either learn to live them or use our resource to correct the offending individuals. I am sure I can come up with many more, but hopefully you get the point.

Bottom line, smoking is NOT allowed on balconies. If I see it and it is impacting my cruise I will call GS. I am not going to deal with a potentially volatile situation by directly confronting the individuals as many other here have. If we all just keep ignoring them and letting them break those rules they will continue. If the cruise line doesn't do something about it then I guess its time to move on to a different line or different type of vacation, but I will give it my best shot first.

Your strawman argument is flawed....I didn't say you shouldn't report smokers, I also agree its against the rules. All that being said, we will agree that people will smoke, agreed? If there weren't any smokers on balconies, there wouldn't be a thread about it. By reporting them, do you really think it will stop? maybe, maybe not....I have never heard of passengers getting kicked off the boat midway thru a trip for excessive smoking, but I am not an expert on cruise ship smoking police special weapons and tactics :rolleyes: Smoking bothers some people more than others. My point in the original response was that if catching 2nd hand balcony smoke could be that big of a deal breaker in ruining your trip, why would you even remotely subject yourself to that element, and just book an inside or window room? Do you want to risk your relaxation and vacation happiness in order to make a point?

You want to rope in 2 totally different arguments in debating your point....chair hogs. I have been on 10 cruises, I have NEVER had the occasion where I didn't find a lounge chair on deck. Now it may not have been my first choice of location, but I always found a chair....Now, do chair hogs exist, of course they do. The practice does continue....If there is a day I really want to get a prime spot in the adults only section or around the main pool, my butt is up at 8 am, down by pool and camping out and saving a spot next to me for when she gets up and comes down to the pool. I find the chair hogging debate a very interesting one. On the one hand you have the people who do dump there stuff and leave for hrs on end. There is also the mindset of the people who show up when they want and just expect to get a spot where they want and if a seat is unoccupied for more than 3 mins, they want to pitch a beef and want those seats opened up because they don't want to be inconvenienced looking for another spot. That type of mindset ranks up there with the people who show up when most of the prime spots are taken and going to another spot, taking a lounge chair and dragging it to a spot that wasn't meant for chairs....but heck, "I am on vacation and I get to do what I want to do because I want it"....right :rolleyes:

The buffet line is a poor example for your argument....if someone isn't using tongs and scooping out food with their hands, I will politely ask the servers replace that particular dish (in your example you said not using the tongs correctly....I don't know how u don't use them correctly short of using your hands). In that circumstance, would I go to GS and "report" that a passenger is mishandling the tongs.....ummmmm, no....my apologies for the long response, I will get off my soapbox now :D

Edited by First and Ten

Your strawman argument is flawed....I didn't say you shouldn't report smokers, I also agree its against the rules. All that being said, we will agree that people will smoke, agreed? If there weren't any smokers on balconies, there wouldn't be a thread about it. By reporting them, do you really think it will stop? maybe, maybe not....I have never heard of passengers getting kicked off the boat midway thru a trip for excessive smoking, but I am not an expert on cruise ship smoking police special weapons and tactics :rolleyes: Smoking bothers some people more than others. My point in the original response was that if catching 2nd hand balcony smoke could be that big of a deal breaker in ruining your trip, why would you even remotely subject yourself to that element, and just book an inside or window room? Do you want to risk your relaxation and vacation happiness in order to make a point?

:D

Here is an example how Celebrity deals with ignorant smokers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49335336&postcount=39

I think we have all seen some crazy things as we see people on their balconies, or we look across at the ship docked next to us.

I saw a "design flaw" for the ship next to us when we were on the Freedom last year. I was on the pool deck having an ice cream and just looking down the deck at the ship next to us when I heard a little kid yell "Look mommy, you can see that man in the bathroom." I was looking at various things on deck, but of course the child's remark caught my attention. I didn't even realize where the bathroom was, but sure enough just after the kid said something, some guy walked in and started unzipping as soon as he hit the door. The window entering that particular restroom was floor to ceiling glass and you could see EVERYTHING. I turned around right away and just thought "Yikes, I hope the ladies' room doesn't have that problem.

One of the maintenance people walked by about the same time and did a double take. He shouted across the pier to a friend working on that other ship to go into the bathroom. The next port, I noticed they had a curtain up. I don't know if there was a way to affix it and someone forgot to put it back up, or if they realized the situation and found a way.

Smokers on balconies, annoying yes. I think the OP was just making an observation- not calling out the balcony police to "Tell" on folks.

I get aggravated at chair hogs. My SIL is a chair hog and it makes me crazy. Their stuff got turned in on the last cruise, and they had to track it down. Oh well, lesson learned.

I agree with a previous poster who said that as much as chair hogs make them crazy- so do the people who saunter on down after waking up late morning, mid afternoon and expect there will be plenty of seating on a sea day and then get mad when there are no chairs. If you want a chair, you have to be proactive and get up early enough to get one. If I arrive late, I take whatever I can find. It may not be the most optimum spot, but beggars can't be choosers. I never move anyone's belongings (though I was tempted to turn in my SIL's things once just to teach her a lesson.

Oh my goodness. Why doesn't everyone just go on their cruise and enjoy and have a good time. Standing on the dock and counting how many smokers there are? Taking pictures and sending them to corporate? Please take pics of the chair hogs, line cutters, elevator rudeness, dining room attire ....on and on. I have better things to do on my vacation....MUCH better things. If you learn to mind your own business, you will have a much better time. Why does one care about what the other one is doing????? HAVE FUN.

NO.....I am not a smoker....but I am not going to stand on the dock and take inventory as to how many people are smoking.

Amen to THAT!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

These forums are the most hostile on the internet, I'm convinced.

I check out cruisecritic often but usually tend to be a "lurker" rather than a poster. CC OPs tend to be a congenial bunch although this thread is one of the less friendly I have observed on this website. Unfortunately there are lots of other travel sites where folks seem to delight in bashing each other. Once I viewed the travel chat room at Craig's List. Talk about obscenities and nasty behavior by the posters...once was enough for me.

PS...ex-smokers often are the most vehement opponents of smoking. I know, because I smoked for over 20 years and have quit for 32 years now. Second-hand smoke really bothers me, and although I rarely say anything, it always makes me regret my years of callously exposing others to my smoke.