Europe vs Caribbean packing items

cardbucfan

We board the Spirit two weeks from today (squee!! Happy dance!!) for our first Med cruise.

We've cruised many times before in the Caribbean, Alaska and the Galapagos so know what's needed for those trips. Now I want to make certain I'm not missing something essential (besides converters-got those) for a successful transatlantic flight and long cruise.

I'm open to all suggestions! I've got 12 days to get stuff from Amazon lol!

A good across the chest safety bag and large safety pins to pin zippers shut

1/2 pair Good walking shoes

Shawls for churches

Light jackets

Euro brought from home

Rarely used Otc meds if needed ....anti itch cream...lanacaine etc

Proper port clothing as weather this time of year can be odd

Zero good jewelry!!!

Shawls for churches

Light jackets

Euro brought from home

Rarely used Otc meds if needed ....anti itch cream...lanacaine etc

Proper port clothing as weather this time of year can be odd

Zero good jewelry!!!

Thanks!

We went mid-March and I assume your weather will be warmer, but I did not take adequate outerwear. I managed with layers, but sure wish I had taken my long sweater coat. Was also surprised how cold it was inside some of the churches and other sights. Somehow I forgot a nail file. None available for purchase on the ship and our busy port days left little time to look for one. The pharmacies I managed to duck into didn't carry them.

51mSdIsKScL._AC_AA200_.jpg

A good RFID blocking money belt.

When we use this belt we also use a large strong safety pin to attach it to our waistbands

With all the walking and stair climbing in Europe it's all to easy for it to get lose and simply fall off

It's not easy to buckle some of them so once I noticed ours had not fully clicked in I said from now on a second level of attachment.

Especially zero jewelry...you will be spotted as an american immediately....and it will be ripped off you neck or ears....last year there were more than several people who were pick pocketed before they even got out of the airport terminal.

We weren't approached once during the 3 weeks we were there, but many were. I lived in Europe for years and can blend in a bit easier than most..Wear comfortable walking shoes....If you are going to Athens, the walk up to the Acropolis is on marble steps and if it is raining, it is very slippery....VERY...3 people from our ship fell down the stairs....The walks were much longer than I had expected and lots of people had problems with that. Going this time of the year is great because you won't have the 90 degree heat to deal with at many of the sites...

Great tips all. :)

Also count on longer journey times to and from the ship, so bring a bottle of water i.e. for the ride.

And buy some Lonely Planet guides to read on the flight! The European heritage and culture is very diverse and reading in is a great part of the fun! :)

Do not take Euros with you get them from an ATM in Europe, the exchange rate is much better.

This is true but to the op....if you are just going from airport to ship and no pre or post stay then by all means bring some if not all you think you will need from home

I do not consider airport ATMs to be safe...but many here will disagree..but airport ATMs are public and usually not inside a secure bank facility.....making them vulnerable to cloning

As I stated many will now disagree with this statement....but from experience....I won't use them. Plus as a newbie European cruiser you don't want any mechanical issues with the card

If your are doing pre and post cruise then a secure inside a bank facility atm during banking hours is fine.....but still bring some from home and use credit cards as much as possible!!! Prepay as much as possible....but do not prepay...as in pre /post cruise hotels....if they take a credit card at check in

And do not ....I repeat do not....use your atm card that is attached to your main bill paying checking account

Many people have special travel only checking accts and if you have a lesser used checking acct with an atm card that is the acct you should fund for spending money for your trip if you do indeed plan on using ATMs

Do not risk your main acct being hacked/cloned

I'm very security conscious and it happened to me and I used what appeared to be a safe ATM with many others using it as well

Also....get travel insurance if you haven't already

Do not take anything from anyone..as in a rose....

And be especially wary of street kids...and their mothers...they are trained pickpockets

Just be street smart and leave any "bleeding heart" ideologies you may possess. Lol at home

No need to concern yourself with what might look to be a downtrodden family or kid etc....it's usually a scam

Venice in particular is notorious for this

They look homeless. They sit under blankets....but in reality they are covering their iPads that are attached to the microscopic microphones and cameras that are watching our every move at the ATM

I was mortified when I saw 2 police officers push what looked like a homeless person off the street in Venice ....however the police knew what they were doing

When I related our hacking issue to Stefano from Rome Cabs ( the best guy in Italy btw) he gave me an earful on some of the tactics. You won't believe what I found out.

Speaking of Venice...the gondola is 80 euro minimum. Seriously no tipping either

Sent from my iPad using Forums

thanks @cruisin6 for the security tips. DH is VERY security minded to the point I'm going to have to rein him in a bit lol! We are also the not very "bleeding heart" minded-had to laugh at that.

We will have to bring some euros with us. We have 4 people doing tours and I don't want to have to be constantly running to the ATM. Great advice about bringing an ATM card that isn't linked to our main account. Would never have thought of that and we always get travel insurance. I had a friend back when our kids were in elementary school all set to go on the Disney cruise for spring break and her son broke his leg the day before school let out. They didn't have insurance eek!

@bp traveler-I absolutely plan to do a review. I'm already working on the pre-cruise portion! From everything I've read, it's a fabulous cruise but exhausting so get your walking in now!

If you plan on visiting any churches like the Vatican and St Peter's Basilica then make sure you keep shoulders covered and wear trousers that go below your knees. They can be quite strict about the modest dress rules and can refuse entry so better to be safe than sorry.

I will hate leaving my jewelry at home though!

I am not sure why you would need to. I live in UK and have done over 20 European cruises. I wear 4 gold bracelets and gold necklace and earrings. I never take them off and have never had any issues.........neither has anyone I know.

Don't be worried, just be alert and you will be fine. I would definitely pack a sweater for evenings though as it can still be chilly during the evenings.

Last September we sailed on the Epic Western Mediterranean and the Jade to the Greek Islands. We extended our stay in Barcelona, Paris, Venice and drove through Tuscany staying at an agriturismo (a working farmhouse B&B). The entire trip was 5 weeks and it was amazing! Some tips I would recommend are:

Midweek on each cruise, NCL has a laundry special for 19.95 they will wash, dry and fold a decent sized laundry bagful of clothes. You would be amazed at how much I could stuff in that bag! lol

I opted for the unlimited internet for both cruises. I was just worried about my 2 young adult college kids back in the states. Although there is the time difference, I felt better just knowing they could reach me 24/7.

I downloaded an app called viber where you can text and share photos with anyone who has the app and its free! (You need wifi or 3G- thats why I had the unlimited wifi)

Don't overpack! I'm guilty of this!

Have a great time!!!

Zero good jewelry!!!

1. What good is half a pair of shoes? :P

2. Seriously, the jewelry thing is overblown. Yes, if you're in a crowd, keep an eye on your stuff....but I've worn Cartier watches in Rome, and never had a problem. On the other hand, my mother-in-law was nearly purse-lifted (they'd unzipped and were on the way to removing her wallet when my SIL noticed). Buddy-up if you can, and keep an eye on each other.

OP: Another thing worth considering is getting a credit card you don't use regularly.... or even a prepaid one with a set ceiling.

And, if you're doing something with your bank card for ATM use, remember the Euro ATMs (or some of them) only use 4 digit pins. In Canada ours can accommodate 6 digits, so we have to reset them when we travel to Europe (note to self!!!)

ALSO: Sunscreen!!!!!

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

@littlemeagain-I know what you mean about the kids! We were originally doing this with just DH and myself and I was stressing about the college boys at home by themselves and what they'd get into! Things changed though and now they are coming with us so I don't have that worry. Of course, now I'm gonna be poor!

After several long flights I learned to take a pair of compression socks that I wear on the plane, inflatable neck wrests (I put mine on backwards so my chin leans on the pillow which I find much more comfortable), and an eye cover to block out light. I also pack a pair of ballet slippers for the plane.

I also buy my euro ahead of time to avoid worrying about ATMs.

I am only taking my less expensive jewelry on our trip to Italy this fall. I am a jewelry "person" lol..but don't want to have to worry about it.

Have a great time!