Princess 20 day Papua New Guinea cruise

Hi all,

Have been having thoughts on the Princess 20 day Papua New Guinea and South Pacific cruise departing 14 September on the Sun.

Has any one out there every done this cruise or visited Alotua, Doini Island, Kiriwana or Kitava?

In some on these ports Princess does not have excursions available and am just concerned that there is something to do and see.

Many thanks

Judy

Hi all,

Have been having thoughts on the Princess 20 day Papua New Guinea and South Pacific cruise departing 14 September on the Sun.

Has any one out there every done this cruise or visited Alotua, Doini Island, Kiriwana or Kitava?

In some on these ports Princess does not have excursions available and am just concerned that there is something to do and see.

Many thanks

Judy

We have been to the ports you mention. They are unspoiled by tourism and we enjoyed our visit.

Alotau was built on the remains of the Australian WWII base in Milne Bay. Very historic from that perspective. You can either take a ship's tour to the cultural canoe show (I cannot remember what it was called) or walk. It is probably a 45 minute walk, but all on level ground. I was told on the ship that if you go on your own you still have to pay the entry fee to get in. We went on the ship's tour. They run a shuttle service and although we needed our tickets to get on the bus on the wharf, no-one checked it for the return trip. The locals put on song and dance show and there are some large outrigger canoes. It is quite interesting.

The other islands, Doini, Kiriwana and Kitava are beach days. At each of them you can walk to a village (distances vary from 200m to a couple of kilometres). The locals have beautiful carved wooden items for sale. Otherwise just swim and snorkel and chill out.

For those buying goods from the Islanders it is quite important to try to use the local Kina currency.

If you use AUD, the locals lose big time having to use a middle man to take it to Alotau to change.

Easy to get Kina in Aussie / NZ, or use the money changer who should come onboard in Alotau.

You are in Alotau on a Sunday, so unfortunately the Westpac is not open; but they do have an ATM.

We did this trip in 2014 on the Dawn Princess and simply loved it almost like picking up a good book and not wanting it to end.

The itinerary had to be altered on the run due to the volcano blowing at Rabaul just before we left Sydney. The scenery cultures and history with the ports we visited in PNG and the Solomon islands were just stunning.

I agree with comments about obtaining Kina either before you leave or from the ATM at Alotau.

I we got a chance to do that trip again or even visit Alotau on Milne Bay we would do so in a heart beat.

We first visited in 2014 and are going again in 2017.

Last time at Alotua we walked into town along a newly constructed walkway there were a few markets stalls and the Milne Bay memorial to have a look at. We then watched the Canoe Festival for a while.

It was very hot so we went the the Alotau International Hotel for a drink and a swim. We then visited a few local shops we felt safe enough but the security staff in the shops are armed.

This time we are going to go to the Driftwood Resort they will pick you up and return you for $10.

Local tours were available at Kitava and at Kiriwini.

At Doini there was a local trip to a skull cave and my husband went fishing half a day for about $30.

I can't wait to go back this time we are going to Wewak, Madang and the Conflict Islands and I am having a great time researching what to do.

When we went to these New Guinea ports, our first stop was in Alotau where there was money-exchange available on the dock. :)

We have been twice to PNG. There was a Westpac tent for money exchange on the dock the first visit, but last February on a Friday there was none,you would have to go to town.

I'm a bit fascinated by the idea of a cruise to PNG, really because I know next to nothing about PNG. I saw a cruise going there on Pacific Aria that interested me.

My understanding is that it's a bit lawless and violent crime is quite high, so that makes me cautious... I would be travelling solo (female) .. how safe are these ports? Is it easy to organise private tours or ship tours and do things in relative safety?

I can't wait to go back this time we are going to Wewak, Madang and the Conflict Islands and I am having a great time researching what to do.

What time of the year is this cruise and which ship?

I have always wanted to visit Madang, since I wrote, on behalf of my primary school class, to the wife of a patrol officer there. I think we were studying a book on a patrol officer, from memory.

I'm a bit fascinated by the idea of a cruise to PNG, really because I know next to nothing about PNG. I saw a cruise going there on Pacific Aria that interested me.

My understanding is that it's a bit lawless and violent crime is quite high, so that makes me cautious... I would be travelling solo (female) .. how safe are these ports? Is it easy to organise private tours or ship tours and do things in relative safety?

Port Moresby would be the most risky place and the ships don't go there. The places we went to (Alotau, Doini Island, Kiriwana or Kitava) would be totally safe.

There are not that many tours as the three latter ones above are just beach days. One of the islands has a tiny 'resort' and the other two have a small village you can walk to if you want. We found the islands charming and unspoiled.

Port Moresby would be the most risky place and the ships don't go there. The places we went to (Alotau, Doini Island, Kiriwana or Kitava) would be totally safe.

There are not that many tours as the three latter ones above are just beach days. One of the islands has a tiny 'resort' and the other two have a small village you can walk to if you want. We found the islands charming and unspoiled.

Thank you! The unspoiled nature sounds very appealing.

The larger the town the less safe it will be.

I would stick to ship tours and only travel with a group, no matter where you are.

Most New Guineans are wonderful people, but a percentage are not, and as a stranger you will not know who to avoid and who to trust.

Just take the normal precautions in a very poor third world country.

The larger the town the less safe it will be.

I would stick to ship tours and only travel with a group, no matter where you are.

Most New Guineans are wonderful people, but a percentage are not, and as a stranger you will not know who to avoid and who to trust.

Just take the normal precautions in a very poor third world country.

Cruises usually go to Alotau, Doini Island, Kiriwana or Kitava and sometimes Rabaul. Alotau is very small and Doini, Kiriwana and Kitava are tiny island communities. In Rabaul I would take a bit of care and not venture too far totally alone. Obviously do not wear conspicuous jewellery.

MM Down Under,

We are on the Aria 10th February 2017.

We went on our first trip as my father in law had served at Milne Bay.

It was on the Dawn in November 2014. From memory on that cruise there were 1500 passengers over the age of 70.

We are also returning to Rabaul which is so fascinating.

I took the morning P & O tour which visited a local school then up to the volcano where I could not believe amongst the lava locals had set up some stalls. It was stifling hot and the landscape was like being on the moon.

We then visited the Rabaul Hotel for a drink and then a visit. to the top of the hill where they monitor the volcano.

The lady conducting the tour was chewing betel nut so the commentary got more animated the longer it went!

My husband did the afternoon tour and they did not get to see as much as I did so definately do the morning tour.

I did spend the afternoon walking around Rabaul on my own and did not feel unsafe.

Port Moresby would be the most risky place and the ships don't go there.

Back in the late 1980's two work mates were working there and one had the work car stolen at gun point, they stuck a shotgun in his back and forced him to hand over the keys.

around 2001, another mate was in the highlands mining area and the locals stopped the truck convey which he was in and hacked the native driver to death because of some land dispute.

So yes some parts can be risky and lawless

If you use AUD, the locals lose big time having to use a middle man to take it to Alotau to change.

Hang on whats the difference if we are the ones changing money, we are then the losers.

Edited by 6666oz

Hang on whats the difference if we are the ones changing money, we are then the losers.

We were told by our port lecturer that the Islanders get a really bad exchange rate.

We cruisers can get a more normal exchange rate at the bank in Alotau or Aussie; or a local money changer at the port.

As we queued for the tender back to the ship, there were locals who had been given AUD trying to get this changed into Kina we may have had.

I was happy to use Kina on the Islands.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

We got harassed by the locals at Kiriwinia island wanting to change AUD into kina which we didn't have. Apparently the Pac Pearl had visited the island the day before we arrived on the Dawn and not many passengers from either ship had had Kina. If we did another trip I would make certain we obtained some before we left Aust or withdrew some from the ATM at Alotau.

Kiriwinia itself was really primitive with one group of locals being kept behind a makeshift barrier to stop them mixing with the passengers. We gave a donation in return for a tour of the local school which by Australian Standards would have been condemned but it was all the teachers had to work with.

Some of the passengers and crew played sports with the locals including cricket and football. Altogether a fascinating place to visit.