NYT: 36 Hours on the Amalfi Coast

-Lew-

Transport yourself to this beautiful part of the world through this New York Times article: 36 Hours on the Amalfi Coast

Enjoy...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

So John Steinbeck is to blame, not Rick Steves!

Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed reading the article and hope to visit the Amalfi Coast again. I loved that area and would like to explore more of the lesser known towns.

I am wondering if euro cruiser and cruisemom42 have visited some of the towns mentioned in the article, and what their experience was like.

I name them because I have learned so much from their good advice regarding Italy. However, I always appreciate hearing from all the seasoned travelers on CC.

I don't have a lot to offer. I've driven the coast road several times, and spent some time in Amalfi, Positano, and Vietri Sul Mare, but not in any of the other towns.

I did wind up walking from Minori to Amalfi a couple of years ago (it's less than three miles) after we'd started the hike up from Minori to Ravello only to encounter a "frana" (a landslide, but I had to look it up when I got back to the apartment to be sure) that completely blocked the hiking trail. So I did walk through several of the small towns but we didn't really look around.

Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed reading the article and hope to visit the Amalfi Coast again. I loved that area and would like to explore more of the lesser known towns.

I am wondering if euro cruiser and cruisemom42 have visited some of the towns mentioned in the article, and what their experience was like.

I name them because I have learned so much from their good advice regarding Italy. However, I always appreciate hearing from all the seasoned travelers on CC.

I also can't help you much. The Amalfi Coast isn't a big draw for me. (Not as much ancient history/ruins as I like....)

I know Hank has talked before about staying in Praiano.

I also just ran across this a couple of days ago, which may be helpful in your planning: http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/the-amalfi-coast-capri-and-naples/experiences/news/5-hidden-gems-on-the-amalfi-coast-11755

I don't have a lot to offer. I've driven the coast road several times, and spent some time in Amalfi, Positano, and Vietri Sul Mare, but not in any of the other towns.

I did wind up walking from Minori to Amalfi a couple of years ago (it's less than three miles) after we'd started the hike up from Minori to Ravello only to encounter a "frana" (a landslide, but I had to look it up when I got back to the apartment to be sure) that completely blocked the hiking trail. So I did walk through several of the small towns but we didn't really look around.

I also can't help you much. The Amalfi Coast isn't a big draw for me. (Not as much ancient history/ruins as I like....)

I know Hank has talked before about staying in Praiano.

I also just ran across this a couple of days ago, which may be helpful in your planning: http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/the-amalfi-coast-capri-and-naples/experiences/news/5-hidden-gems-on-the-amalfi-coast-11755

Thanks, as always, for your input. On both occasions when I was in the Amalfi Coast area, it was only port days, so we crammed in as much as we could to see the most possible. I think it would be fun to spend some extended time there.

There are so many places to discover in Italy!

Bobbie

We stayed in Amalfi a few years ago & loved exploring around there. Minori is lovely & if you like your history a trip out to Paestrum, a Greek settlement is a must as well as Herculaneum & Pompei. Ravello is sublime. For a lunch you will never forget, take their boat from the harbour in Positano to da 'Aldofo. Set on its own beach, looking out to Capri it serves freshly caught fish. http://www.daadolfo.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
So John Steinbeck is to blame, not Rick Steves!

YES!! Super cute comment and twist for the question of blaming Steinbeck versus Steves regarding this New York Times Travel Section article and the crowds in this part of Italy.

Here is one their story/profile highlights that I most enjoyed: "In 1953, John Steinbeck drew back the curtain on Positano, most likely changing the course of history for the most picturesque town on the Amalfi Coast. This romanticized 30-mile stretch of Italian coast still impresses with cliffs towering above pebbled coves and villages hugging improbably steep slopes. And famed Positano, now oppressively overcrowded, continues to monopolize the attention of most travelers. But seek out less-heralded towns, including the hilltop hamlet of Ravello and the eastern fishing village of Cetara — to discover the untrammeled charm and enduring beauty that exist all along the Amalfi Coast.."

We super loved our June 2011 travels along this scenic Amalfi Coast. Need proof and/or evidence? Below are a few of my highlight visuals from this great part of the world.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 212,105 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For Ravello overlooking the Gulf of Solerno, this is the town church tower with flowers in the foreground:

RavFlowersChurchTower.jpg

Ravello has many nice ceramics shops with locally-made pieces of many sizes. Here is the owner making a welcoming toast to come in and shop.:

RavCeramicsStoreOwner.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

Amalfi is a key and historic town that gives its name to this famed and scenic coast surrounded by dramatic cliffs and spectacular scenery.. Between 839 and around 1200, the Duchy of Amalfi existed as major maritime and trading power. It rivaled Pisa and Genoa in domestic prosperity and maritime importance, before the later rise of Venice and Amalfi’s defeat by the Republic of Pisa. The Amalfi Coast is known for its production of limoncello liquor. Its lemons are grown in terraced gardens along the entire coast. In the 1920s and 1930s, Amalfi was a popular holiday destination for the British upper class and aristocracy. In 1997, the Amalfi Coast was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as a cultural landscape. Below is a few of the town of Amalfi from its western side.:

AmalfiTownViewFromHigher.jpg

Within the town of Amalfi, here are two different wall/tile art items to illustrate their history and a map of this coastal area.:

AmalfiWallMapHistory.jpg

Just west of Ravello is this coastal town of Atrani with this distinctive church tower and other buildings shown.:

AmalfiAtraniTower.jpg

The Amalfi Coast - her villages - Positano, Sorrento...etcetera, are Southern Italy's "version" for lack of a better term of Cinque Terre. As I write this I feel my Southern Italian friends - so many of whom immigrated to the US (NYC!!) cringing just out of the pride of their region :D But...just think gorgeous, stunning villages nestled into the hillside, inclining upward and/or cascading down into the beautiful blue/turquoise/green sea. Great restaurants, shops - even some upscale designers...antiques...and not YET overrun but still, these villages have been popular for decades to visit and like Cinque Terre, just not a lot of people knew about them....until they DID and then everyone started to come. So....get there before everyone else does.

For a preview, there are a few breathtaking scenes from the film "Under A Tuscan Sun" based on the Frances Mayes memoir set in Positano which are simply stunning. Once there, you will know what I mean. If you have a little more time, there is an island called Ischia - skip Capri....go to Ischia. Dare to be different, avoid the crowds but still find the unique-ness of Italian island life. https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/campania/ischia

Buon Viaggio :)