Off Sunshine 8 days now and still sick.

crusinpsychRN

I was on the 4/8/16 sailing of Sunshine with a large group from the unnamed site. Lots of us ended up getting sick by about day 6 with cough, no energy, no appetite. Some have fever, some ended up in the hospital.

One day you start to feel the worst has passed only to feel totally horrible the next day. This is the first in over 30 cruises I've ever gotten ill. And it's horrible! At this point I don't care if I ever see a cruise ship again---but I have 3 booked.

Boy I hope you get better soon...that is rough...you will have built some immunity after this ..small consolation. I would go for antibiotics as well at this stage..so at least bacterial does not develop if only viral...and maybe antiviral too if they will do both.

Sounds like the flu. There's lots of it still going around. Unfortunately antivirals will only help if flu swab positive and within 48 hours if starting symptoms. You should definitely be seen and evaluated. I have seen lots of secondary pneumonia after the flu this year in otherwise healthy adults. Sorry you ended your trip in such a miserable fashion.

This particular bug has been going all over the country, not only on cruise ships. Any place that you are in close contact with a lot of people is a place to pick it up. Ball games, malls and planes as well as schools are prime grounds. Hope you feel better soon.

I have been pretty much congested with a cough, off and on for 4 months. I blame my 3 yo grandson, bringing it to me from daycare...LOL It has been bad this year. If it doesn't clear up soon, I am going in for a chest X-ray. I will good for 2 weeks, and then BOOM, here it goes again.

I feel for you...I woke up off and on Thursday night clearing my throat and it had a little bit of a tickle but I have horrible allergies so I thought that's what it was. WRONG. Friday I went downhill fast by the time I left school I had a fever, my throat was shredded, just hurt so bad. And around lunchtime I was nauseous! It's Sunday and I'm feeling horrible. My throat is so sore. It feels so dry and nothing I do helps. Now the coughing has started. Several children in my class were out with the same sudden illness. Hopefully they feel better today!

I work with several co-workers with similar illnesses this season and none of them cruised. Some were on multiple antibiotics and one was finally diagnosed with Whooping cough, after being told she had bronchitis, even though vaccinated. Nasty stuff out there this season and a cruise is not the only place you can pick them up....hope you feel better soon.

Sounds like the flu. There's lots of it still going around. Unfortunately antivirals will only help if flu swab positive and within 48 hours if starting symptoms. You should definitely be seen and evaluated. I have seen lots of secondary pneumonia after the flu this year in otherwise healthy adults. Sorry you ended your trip in such a miserable fashion.

Good to know...

Thanks. I'm on an antibiotic, never had a fever, never threw up. Some people at work have it too. Lasts way too long. It's the feeling better then worse which is disheartening. Talk about needing vacation from vacation, this is it.

Sure hope yo-yo soon stops.

I was on the 4/8/16 sailing of Sunshine with a large group from the unnamed site. Lots of us ended up getting sick by about day 6 with cough, no energy, no appetite. Some have fever, some ended up in the hospital.

One day you start to feel the worst has passed only to feel totally horrible the next day. This is the first in over 30 cruises I've ever gotten ill. And it's horrible! At this point I don't care if I ever see a cruise ship again---but I have 3 booked.

You will be back.

Ugh. Our hospital has so much floating through. I ended up on Biaxin for a sinus infection and when that didn't totally clear up and my lungs filled up I ended up on cefuroxime which feels like it killed every natural cell in my body too LOL.

Feel better!!!!

All the more reason to get a flu shot every Fall. I haven't had the flu in years since getting a flu shot annually. 2 years ago was a bad flu season and my brother, 61, got the flu, pneumonia and finally a stroke; ended up dead with his organs full of infection.

I flew to LA for work last month and came down with the flu on the trip back ..... high fever, chills, felt like I was going to die. Sick, really sick for 2 weeks with 2 weeks to completely recover. Ended up in the ER for 24 hours when I couldn't get my fever down. I had a bed in the hallway because there were so many flu cases. You could tell who we were because they slapped surgical masks on us when we walked in.

Some bad bugs out there this season. Seems kinda unfair to blame the cruise.

It sounds like you all got the flu. It's been really bad at my workplace this year. I had it (and yes, I did get the flu shot but unfortunately the flu shot doesn't cover all strains).

Some people from work ended up in the emergency room. Luckily I wasn't one of them but it did take a good 2 weeks before I stopped feeling crappy and another month to get rid of it totally. Like you said, you think you're getting better one day and then next day you feel horrible again.

Don't let it stop you from cruising. You can get the flu anywhere this time of year. You have my sympathies and I hope you feel better soon!!

DH had to fly last week for work. He was perfectly healthy when he got on the plane to return home Thursday night. He started feeling poorly Friday night and is still sick. Cough, breathing problems (he is asthmatic), fever. He is already on an antibiotic for another ailment. Everything he gets turns into bronchitis because of his lungs, so we're just waiting for that. Dang air travel! :(