Enhanced Drivers License

Just received CT license renewal material -for a "Verified" (their term for enhanced) license there are multiple requirements:

I) ID - requires 2 forms of ID, one must be gov't issued birth certificate or passport; the other something like a DD-214, marriage ctf. etc.

II) Proof of Social Security - SS card or recent 1099 or W-2

III) Two proofs of residence - separate documents showing name and address: bank statement, pay stub, voter ID, SS benefits statement, etc.

I wonder if closed loop cruise requirements will start tightening once the enhanced license requirements go into effect generally.

Just received CT license renewal material -for a "Verified" (their term for enhanced) license there are multiple requirements:

I) ID - requires 2 forms of ID, one must be gov't issued birth certificate or passport; the other something like a DD-214, marriage ctf. etc.

II) Proof of Social Security - SS card or recent 1099 or W-2

III) Two proofs of residence - separate documents showing name and address: bank statement, pay stub, voter ID, SS benefits statement, etc.

I wonder if closed loop cruise requirements will start tightening once the enhanced license requirements go into effect generally.

For the first category, is there a requirement that at least one must have a photo? A birth or marriage certificate wouldn't have that.

Are all 3 categories needed?

If so, what about a stay at home parent who has never worked for outside pay?

(Or maybe the independently wealthy...?:rolleyes:)

And a personal pet peeve is how the SS card was quite clear that it was NOT to be used for "identification purposes"... but now the "social" number is required in many places unless one throws a bit of a fit and refuses.

(Decades ago, I refused to allow my new faculty ID card to have my SS number, and used the "not for ID purposes" to support my stand. Starting the next year, they began to give non-SS #'s for all new ID's or those who wished to change. And that was the number used for medical insurance.)

Just to clear up a bit of confusion, the CT Verified license is NOT an enhanced driver license. It IS, however, compliant with the Real ID Act, which means you can use it to board airplanes and enter federal buildings with it as your ID after 2017. You may not use it to cross land or sea borders.

An Enhanced Driver License also must contain an RFID chip and a certain type of bar code as well as the state of CT 'joining' the EDL program; aspects which are not part of the CT Verified license.

Edited by cherylandtk

For the first category, is there a requirement that at least one must have a photo? A birth or marriage certificate wouldn't have that.

And a personal pet peeve is how the SS card was quite clear that it was NOT to be used for "identification purposes"... but now the "social" number is required in many places unless one throws a bit of a fit and refuses.

(Decades ago, I refused to allow my new faculty ID card to have my SS number, and used the "not for ID purposes" to support my stand. Starting the next year, they began to give non-SS #'s for all new ID's or those who wished to change. And that was the number used for medical insurance.)

Yes, all three are required - as a minimum. There are more requirements if the ndividual is not a native-born citizen.

The SS card is specifically NOT referred to as a form of ID - rather as a means of demonstrating that the individual has signed up for Social Security - don't ask me why that is a requirement--- perhaps CT DMV can explain.

A stay at home parent who has never worked and never gotten an SS number will have a problem with medical care after turning 65 - any private insurance, other than extraordinarily expensive sort, looks to Medicare as primary coverage. Then, the independently wealthy would have to be SO wealthy as to not need to invest any assets - because income would require tax filing which would require getting the SS number.

Of course, the independently (extremely) wealthy to which you refer can pay for medical care out of pocket -- and, for that matter, could have a private jet on a private airfield and could bypass TSA; or, alternatively , could hire a team of gofers to handle the details of securing passport and other necessary ID.

The bottom line is: anonymity is a luxury which virtually no one can afford.

Just to clear up a bit of confusion, the CT Verified license is NOT an enhanced driver license. It IS, however, compliant with the Real ID Act, which means you can use it to board airplanes and enter federal buildings with it as your ID after 2017. You may not use it to cross land or sea borders.

An Enhanced Driver License also must contain an RFID chip and a certain type of bar code as well as the state of CT 'joining' the EDL program; aspects which are not part of the CT Verified license.

Exactly. Only 5 states (or maybe 6 by now) have reached agreements with DHS and issue EDL's. I do not believe that the REAL ID Act will have any effect on closed loop cruise requirements.

Typically, a stay at home parent would be on a joint tax return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app