Australia - Fishing

My husband is interested in the possibility of fishing while we are on a circumnavigation cruise on the Sun Princess in March/April 2017. He is thinking possibly Margaret River or Freemantle ports. Does anyone have any information about fishing guides who will provide all the necessary gear in either of those ports; or, suggestions of other ports that may offer fun fishing? He prefers lake/stream fishing for trout. Thanks for any suggestions.:)

Lake or stream fishing for trout is only way way inland - the Snowy Rivers area on the NSW/Vic border and inland Tasmania. Any fishing from ports will most likely be off-shore from a boat.

Agree.

My husband is interested in the possibility of fishing while we are on a circumnavigation cruise on the Sun Princess in March/April 2017. He is thinking possibly Margaret River or Freemantle ports. Does anyone have any information about fishing guides who will provide all the necessary gear in either of those ports; or, suggestions of other ports that may offer fun fishing? He prefers lake/stream fishing for trout. Thanks for any suggestions.:)

There is no trout in Fremantle but you possibly could do river fishing for Salmon.

Margaret river is not a port as such but has great wines and surfing. I presume the port will be Busselton.

Freshwater fishing in Australia is limited by a lack of freshwater. There are very few natural lakes, most freshwater fishing takes place in artificial dams. Which, except in parts of Tasmania and southeastern Australia, are generally too warm for trout. If you want to fish seriously for trout or salmon, the place to go is NZ.

There are places to fish, like Borumba Dam near Brisbane and Tinaroo Dam outside of Cairns, but I doubt that they would be easy to get to from the port.

Is your hubby a fly fisherman? If he can accommodate himself to saltwater, there is plenty to keep him interested.

http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au/board/forums/swf-guides-database.29/

http://swoffa.com/

Your best bet for salt water fly on that cruise would be in Cairns, Darwin or Broome.

The salmon in Fremantle are Australian Salmon, called kahawai in NZ. They a very different species than the Northern Hemisphere salmon. Still very good fun to catch, but not to eat.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Thanks all for responses. My husband knows he will have to go inland in Australia but doesn't know if he would have time to do so with the hours allotted at each port and also doesn't know if there are guides readily available who could pick him up at the ship and take him for some fun. We have been looking at New Zealand and would also appreciate any recommendations there as well. We live on the Bow River in Cochrane near Calgary which has excellent trout fishing. Fly fishing on the ocean sounds intriguing. :cool:

Is your hubby a fly fisherman? If he can accommodate himself to saltwater, there is plenty to keep him interested.

http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au/board/forums/swf-guides-database.29/

http://swoffa.com/

Your best bet for salt water fly on that cruise would be in Cairns, Darwin or Broome.

The salmon in Fremantle are Australian Salmon, called kahawai in NZ. They a very different species than the Northern Hemisphere salmon. Still very good fun to catch, but not to eat.

Thank you so much for these very informative links. Really hope he can get his fishing fix while we are in Australia/New Zealand for almost 2 months.:D

Thanks all for responses. My husband knows he will have to go inland in Australia but doesn't know if he would have time to do so with the hours allotted at each port and also doesn't know if there are guides readily available who could pick him up at the ship and take him for some fun. We have been looking at New Zealand and would also appreciate any recommendations there as well. We live on the Bow River in Cochrane near Calgary which has excellent trout fishing. Fly fishing on the ocean sounds intriguing. :cool:

I don't think you will find any freshwater fishing within range of the ports you are visiting. Your best bet is to find someone in Cairns or Darwin who will meet you at the port and take you out for saltwater fishing. Both Cairns and Darwin have large harbours and inlets that are very good for saltwater fly. You can pick up barramundi, mackerel, tarpon and trevally. Or if you want the bigger fish, you can try offshore.

It might be an idea to check on the Cruise Critic Rollcall for your cruise to find some more interested anglers. Most of these guides and charters require more than one person. It would also be a good idea to let the guide know you are interested in fly, otherwise you may be disappointed.

This guy might be a good place to start, he's Canadian too!

http://paradisesportfishing.com.au/

Try this website for more ideas.

https://fishingbooker.com

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Thank you so much for these very informative links. Really hope he can get his fishing fix while we are in Australia/New Zealand for almost 2 months.:D

If you have 2 mths at your disposal I presume you will be having some land based stays. Fishing trips are difficult to organise when you only have 1 day in a port and a limited time frame. Many ocean fishing trips are governed by tide and weather etc.

If you are looking for trout fishing , check out Turangi ,just south of Taupo NZ.

Given you overnight in Hobart, there could be time for a trout fishing tour, or perhaps some other freshwater fishing, from there.

Anyone Have experience in that strange island?

A longer stop in Darwin would have been great to go barramundi fishing.

Given you overnight in Hobart, there could be time for a trout fishing tour, or perhaps some other freshwater fishing, from there.

Anyone Have experience in that strange island?

A longer stop in Darwin would have been great to go barramundi fishing.

Never done it but I know Tasmania has some good cold water fishing.

If you have 2 mths at your disposal I presume you will be having some land based stays. Fishing trips are difficult to organise when you only have 1 day in a port and a limited time frame. Many ocean fishing trips are governed by tide and weather etc.

If you are looking for trout fishing , check out Turangi ,just south of Taupo NZ.

Yep NZ has some good fishing.

We have 3 full days in Sydney so may check there for someone who can take him out for saltwater fly fishing. Good suggestion to post on roll call but it is not very active so don't expect to get much response. Thanks all for great suggestions. Tasmania is also a great idea. Will also check out the Canadian in Cairns.

Ohhh a fishing thread ...... wonderful...

This is the one that did not get away

But in new Zealand Lake Taupo

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com/q/vk3dq/fish.JPG

And this might be of use

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/fisheries/recreational-fishing

You may like to consider a trip to Snobs Creek outside Melbourne

http://hatcheryinternational.com/restocking/snobs-creek-hatchery%3A-conserving-victoria’s-introduced-and-n/

Which is well worth a visit

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Twice now on our cruises a fellow passenger has had his fishing gear with them , and they happily just fished off the pier at each port, including Sydney , one of them I spoke to caught a few fish, bear in mind the fishing licence requirements, bag limits and minimum size limits for different types of fish for each state need to be investigated.

Edited by 6666oz

There is no trout in Fremantle but you possibly could do river fishing for Salmon.

Margaret river is not a port as such but has great wines and surfing. I presume the port will be Busselton.

This is true. Cruise ships moor in Geographe Bay and passengers are transferred ashore via the Busselton Jetty. It's then another 50 km to Margaret River. You CAN fish from the Busselton jetty, but I don't know anything about hiring equipment. Or you could take a trip to the Underwater Observatory and just look at the fish.

And no, you can't go fishing in Margaret River.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. :)

Justin Duggan at http://www.sydneyflyfishing.com.au

OR

Craig Magill at

http://www.fishabout.com.au

Both good fishing guides in Sydney. My husband has fished with both of them many times (we live in Sydney).

I would definitely recommend booking a fishing trip out of Cairns, Darwin or Broome for a uniquely Australian experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by redrob1234

I live in Perth and grew up in Fremantle. There is a place known as Golden Ponds (google fishing golden ponds) it is about 40kms from the passenger terminal but mostly freeway so it would be very do able for a couple of hours fishing. You can hire the gear very cheaply and make sure to wear a hat. It can be very hot at that time of year. Also no fishing licence is required.

Tip: the guys that were catching the most fish were just using a corn kernal for bait :)

Edited by Bofman