Do you remember when??

Cruise Raider

We remember when our daughter was two years old and we were sailing on Fairwind (Sitmar). Sitmar supplied all diapers and baby food it was amazing. I do remember the plates and the constant moving and adding silverware. Great memories.

Ah...Sitmar's Fairwind which we sailed in 1988. Not the best cruise ship we've sailed but easily the very best cruise "experience"! :D

The ships were smaller - much smaller!

Here is a link to the Wikipedia article about the Dawn Princess (aka RMS Sylvania) that I sailed on.

General characteristics (after 1971 refit)

Type: cruise ship

Tonnage: 24,724 GRT

Decks: 11 (I think they counted all the ones the passengers were not allowed on also)

Capacity: 925 passengers

Crew: 330

The Ship

small_eastern_caribbean_1988_063.jpg

Note the lifeboats hanging out

small_eastern_caribbean_1988_138.jpg

small_eastern_caribbean_1988_215.jpg

At every port, what was not white, was painted. It seemed like the sailors had pride in their cruise ship, or at least, very strict officers.

small_eastern_caribbean_1988_175.jpg

I think I saw her or another early princess ship in Mazatlan in 1992

We stayed on the Queen Mary for my birthday around 1993, it was a yr after our first cruise on the Jubilee. What a eye opener, when the focus on a cruise was style and class and relaxation instead of being on a "fun ship" with tons of activities and shore stops and things, not that there probably wasn't a lot on the Queen Mary.

I heard it actually did the Caribbean the last yrs of its cruising life. I guess that's what the movie Assault on a Queen was about. Holding up the Queen Mary for ransom off of Nassau.

We stayed in one of the suites which was maybe twice as big as a balcony cabin these days, it had a full bathtub, sitting area and bed and sitting table.

The bathtub was about a foot wide on the flat part on the bottom and about 3 feet high on the sides, guess they didn't want water sloshhing around.

alas no pictures available, this was before digital stuff

Anyone got pictures of it when it was sailing?

The ships were smaller - much smaller!

Here is a link to the Wikipedia article about the Dawn Princess (aka RMS Sylvania) that I sailed on.

General characteristics (after 1971 refit)

Type:cruise ship

Tonnage:24,724 GRT

Decks:11 (I think they counted all the ones the passengers were not allowed on also)

Capacity:925 passengers

Crew:330

The Ship

small_eastern_caribbean_1988_063.jpg

Note the lifeboats hanging out

small_eastern_caribbean_1988_138.jpg

small_eastern_caribbean_1988_215.jpg

At every port, what was not white, was painted. It seemed like the sailors had pride in their cruise ship, or at least, very strict officers.

small_eastern_caribbean_1988_175.jpg

In between being the Sylvania & the Dawn Princess (1989) this ship was Sitmar's Fairwind which we sailed in 1988 & then again in 1989 as the Dawn Princess minus the great pizzeria.

This is a great topic, we loved reading and remembering everything. We have sailed for over 35 years, but only on RCCL. Remember some of the good old days were not all that good. Long lines to check in and out, only one pool on board, and don't even start with the muster drills....lol. When we first sailed it was all cash on board and as someone mentioned the difference in price even without inflation figured in. Do problems come up, tell me the business you deal with where that doesn't happen? We think it's the best vacation going and looking forward to Allure again in December.

Sent from my iPad using Forums