Do you remember when??

Cruise Raider

I liked it back in the day when a cruise ship like the Dawn Princess came into port and did not overwhelm the town You could walk around and it would not be crowded - with only 925 passengers, people could spread out.

/QUOTE]

Are you sure it was the Dawn Princess? I didn't think there was a previous one, current version started sailing in 1997 and holds about 2000

There was a previous Dawn Princess...it was Sitmar's Fairwind (previously Cunard's RMS Sylvania) that I sailed in 1988 and after the merger with Princess sailed the same ship 6 months later in 1989 as the Dawn Princess. Unfortunately the free sit down pizzeria was removed after the merger. :(

Her sister ship was Sitmar's Fairsea which became the Fair Princess.

The ships were smaller - much smaller!

Here is a link to the Wikipedia article about the Dawn Princess (aka RMS Sylvania) that I sailed on.

General characteristics (after 1971 refit)

Type: cruise ship

Tonnage: 24,724 GRT

Decks: 11 (I think they counted all the ones the passengers were not allowed on also)

Capacity: 925 passengers

Crew: 330

The Ship

small_eastern_caribbean_1988_063.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Totally correct Astros Flyer! Thanks.

I thought that the link to the Wikipedia article would explain the history of this ship. It is quite interesting to see all the lines it cruised for. Princess was one of them for a while.

Princess does re-use ship names.

Also the name on the bow is clearly "Dawn Princess".

Edited by websailor

Loving the old photos!!

I remember entering a contest while sitting on these saw horses with an opponent on one across from me. The saw horses were all greased up so you slid off easily. Then, the pillow fight began. I got a trophy for downing the highest number of opponents. Never would you see a game like that on a ship again ... I am sure it was just a law suit waiting to happen.

I loved the horse racing.

Back in the 1970's I sailed on Home lines many times. At night you night gown would be laid out on the bed for you. No mater where I hid it, they found it. It was weird having some one go thought your draws to find your night gown or JP's. But that is what they did. It was laid on you bed in the shape of a body.

I miss the short newspaper that they printed each day.

Just because you're on vacation, doesn't mean you don't want to know what's going on in the rest of the world.

Actually I don't want to know what's going on in the world. I'm on vacation and hiding from the rest of the world. Unless it affects my cruise I don't want to know about it. There is plenty of time after the cruise to worry about that stuff. Heck, if my house burns down while I'm on a cruise there's nothing I can do about it so let me find out after the cruise. There's no sense ruining the cruise. It's just too bad I can't escape the stupidity of the presidential campaign by being on a cruise for a year or so although, sadly, some folks would bring that mess along with them so I likely still couldn't avoid it.

I miss the short newspaper that they printed each day.

Just because you're on vacation, doesn't mean you don't want to know what's going on in the rest of the world.

They still had that on Celebrity last month ... one in each major language spoken onboard.

I loved the horse racing.

Back in the 1970's I sailed on Home lines many times. At night you night gown would be laid out on the bed for you. No mater where I hid it, they found it. It was weird having some one go thought your draws to find your night gown or JP's. But that is what they did. It was laid on you bed in the shape of a body.

Wow...you just reminded me of the horse racing. They held it in the piazza on our last Princess cruise in December. Very fun!!

We also had a horse auction on our first Princess cruise....and I don't see that anymore. You bid on one of the horses and decorated it and then paraded it around the ship to garner support for the final day when fellow passengers voted on the winner. We won first place and they gave us a whole suitcase (including the suitcase) full of stuff from the gift shop. It was very awesome!! We still use the toiletry bag that was part of the winnings.

:D

Stupid question:

Horse racing onboard?

More details, please!

They took the horses out of the stable on deck 2. Only kidding.:)

There would be six wooden horses. Each on a stand. The CD would auction them off. The winners would decorated them like Cruise Raider said.

They would roll out a runner with a start and a finish line. There would be spaces in between start and finish (like a game board. People would bet (in cash) on witch hours would win. The bet was only a dollar or two per race. They would roll a dice for each horse and the horse would move that many spaces on the runner. First horse to reach the end was the winner. People how bet on the winner won the cash. It was fun with all the cheering.

Edited by geocruiser

My parents started taking cruises in the mid 70's. I remember when cruise lines used to let passenger's have bon voyage parties on the ship. You could invite friends and family to come aboard and have hors d'oeuvres and booze (my first ship of cold duck). It was fun to wander around the ship and see the cabins. An announcement was made for all guests to disembark and then we watched the ship leave the dock. Back then streamers were allowed so it was exciting and festive to watch the ship depart. My first cruise was on the Pacific Princess (Love Boat) a few years later in 1979. In my opinion some of the glamour has been lost over the years but, I still cruise and love it!

Lisa

I'm amazed. Never seen that... Been in the Ruby twice. I guess I have to get out more.

One of the horses is always named 'Hoof Hearted Mama'. Say it quickly 3 times ... you'll see why it is funny. Childish funny, but funny nonetheless.

I was on SS Norway too Nezmo! Remember the old bingo machines they had that cost almost nothing to play? The had the Midnight buffet with Chocolate fountain & ice sculptures. On the flip side, that ship was very old & a tad Uncomfortable... Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
Are you bored tonight?

Sigh... I have no idea how I got onto this old thread. I started to reply and then looked at the date. D'Oh! Had already hit the dang button so it was too late to get out of the thing. I am soooooooooooooo ready to leave on our next cruise. 2 more weeks. I don't know how I can stand it.

I make a scrapbook for each cruise. I have all those luggage tags, documents, on board magazines and other stuff we got. I still have the Royal Caribbean key chains and travel documents folio we got in 1986 and 1987.

Great memories!!

I have kept everything from all of my cruises and trips since 1882 - for years I had them in a file cabinet but finally ran out of room, so I put them in boxes in the attic. One day I'm going to scan each file to my laptop and then get rid of all that paper.

I didn't notice it was old either, but who cares?

Most things on board were actually surprises and new experiences as you had not had the chance to research them to death on the Interwebs beforehand.

I can't claim to have cruised like the old TAs but I can claim to have been on a true liner. My second cruise was on the SS Norway, formerly the France. Other than the fact the AC sucked, lol, what a gem. And talk about real promenade.

my first cruise was on the norway, i can confirm she was a gem. a real stunner. i'm glad i was able to get a cruise in during the tail end of the classic cruising. i'm not anti the changes, in fact i quite like cruising as is currently.

thanks for sharing that 1977 princess brochure, it is a real hoot.

I have kept everything from all of my cruises and trips since 1882 - for years I had them in a file cabinet but finally ran out of room, so I put them in boxes in the attic. One day I'm going to scan each file to my laptop and then get rid of all that paper.

I didn't notice it was old either, but who cares?

You been cruising since 1882, you started young ! Did they have the 'Sip and Sail and Premium AIBP package back then? :halo::eek:

BTW, my first cruise was in 1956 on a British Troopship 'HMT Nevasa - Southampton to Hong Kong. No Elite mini bar, no Horizon Court buffet. But it was a free cruise. The nightly entertainment was the 'Regimental Band.' Yes, I am a dinosaur, lol.