Do you remember when??

Cruise Raider

One of the horses is always named 'Hoof Hearted Mama'. Say it quickly 3 times ... you'll see why it is funny. Childish funny, but funny nonetheless.

"And our Canadian entry - 'Take Off, You Hoser - EH!'"

Ah, the memories...

Grey

You been cruising since 1882, you started young ! Did they have the 'Sip and Sail and Premium AIBP package back then? :halo::eek:

BTW, my first cruise was in 1956 on a British Troopship 'HMT Nevasa - Southampton to Hong Kong. No Elite mini bar, no Horizon Court buffet. But it was a free cruise. The nightly entertainment was the 'Regimental Band.' Yes, I am a dinosaur, lol.

Actually, my first cruise was in 1972, right out of college with a friend - I just didn't keep anything from that one. No Sip and Sail but drinks were probably less than $1 back then.

I was on SS Norway too Nezmo! Remember the old bingo machines they had that cost almost nothing to play? The had the Midnight buffet with Chocolate fountain & ice sculptures. On the flip side, that ship was very old & a tad Uncomfortable... Good times

She holds a special place in our hearts.

I like this post! It makes me think of the Love Boat TV show. I love watching those really old episodes.

People would just wander onto the ship, not producing any ID whatsoever, and just go to their cabin which was seemingly always unlocked "Come in, it's open".

The men dressed in tuxedos every night.

They flambeed things in the dining room. Giant flames everywhere!

Numerous ship staff wearing super short-shorts, men and women alike.

Strangers meeting each other and getting married at the end of the cruise.

I could go on an on. I always wish they would make throwback cruise that would be just like the old Love Boat show.

Anyway I digress. Thanks for this post it was well thought out.

Carnival does Legends cruises, longer that have throwback experiences from the 80s from extreme formal to games like horse racing and men wearing their partner's lingerie

Carnival does Legends cruises, longer that have throwback experiences from the 80s from extreme formal to games like horse racing and men wearing their partner's lingerie

Definitely a great reason not to sail Carnival. :rolleyes:

Fish forks and knives (ahem, Princess, this didn't disappear that long ago - what in the hell did you do with all of them?)
Just disembarked from the Emerald 2 weeks ago, and to make everything right with the world, they still have seafood forks. They bring them with the shrimp cocktail.

They also still have crab forks. Those are about 4 inches long, with 3 prongs, and the waiters place them on the right hand side of the plate, next to the spoon. They are used for extracting crab legs from their shell.

Still have real butter, made into the shape of flowers, in a dish with crushed ice underneath it.

They still remove the crumbs from the table, in between the appetizer course and the main course. The junior waiter scrapes the crumbs with the flat side of a dinner knife.

They still have bon voyage parties, and you can still invite family and friends on board before sailaway. That's called the Bon Voyage Experience - BVE.

( Yes, I suppose they did away with "adults only" entertainment night, but if I want to hear a comedian shouting 4 letter words and coarse sex jokes, all I have to do is drive to the local comedy club, or access thousands of comedy routines on You Tube).

At least on Princess, there is still a standard of elegance and refinement, passengers are still referred to as "Sir" and "Madame", the service is ( in my opinion) impeccable and way beyond expectations.

I feel sad when nostalgic threads get going,:( with people lamenting that what a shame, Princess has gone to the dogs; sigh, :rolleyes: and it's never been the same since the Queen Mary stopped trans-Atlantic runs and is now berthed in Long Beach, and why can't we go back to the days of the Titanic, with the 3 classes of passengers, plus steerage, and on and on etc.etc.etc.

We thought our cruise was fabulous, can't wait to cruise again, and frankly we're thrilled to have a private bathroom inside the cabin. plus the new comfy beds. Oh, and yes, they still have ice carved dolphins, and even gave a demonstration of that. ( Yes, yes, I know, but on Cunard back in 1936, they did it SO much better, LOL).

Cheer up, all is not lost.:D:D:D EBC

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

Our first cruise wasn't until 2011 so there really isn't all that much nostalgia involved. It does seem like cookies and milk on a little cart have disappeared though in that short time. It was nice to have someone come around at 4:00 or so and offer warm cookies and cold milk. We have also witnessed the hack job that was done on Island Princess. Not a change for the better. Overall though we are simply happy to be able to cruise and pleased that we started with Princess and found a line we like. We know folks who started on Carnival and will never st foot on a ship again due to that experience.

Our first cruise wasn't until 2011 so there really isn't all that much nostalgia involved. It does seem like cookies and milk on a little cart have disappeared though in that short time. It was nice to have someone come around at 4:00 or so and offer warm cookies and cold milk. We have also witnessed the hack job that was done on Island Princess. Not a change for the better. Overall though we are simply happy to be able to cruise and pleased that we started with Princess and found a line we like. We know folks who started on Carnival and will never st foot on a ship again due to that experience.

I often think the same, "Lucky we tried Princess first" even when we have tried line's we didn't enjoy as much we knew there was ONE line we liked, we've since found a few more we like.

BUT

What if number one had been with a line we didn't like.

Overall though we are simply happy to be able to cruise and pleased that we started with Princess and found a line we like. We know folks who started on Carnival and will never st foot on a ship again due to that experience.

Absolutely. My husband took a Carnival Cruise and didn't like it at all. I felt bad at the time that I could not take the time off of work to go with my husband and son.

It took me awhile to convince my husband to try another cruise, and I always thought I would like to try Princess, because the passengers in general, ,are more in our age group. We had an absolutely wonderful time and can't wait to cruise on Princess again.

I remember the waitstaff on Sitmar always turning my plates so the logo was toward the center of the table.

One night all of us at our table turned our plates around to tease the waiter.

He liked it and remembered us after that each time we saw him for a few years.

Boy, you are an old timer aren't you. ;p

Richstowe: For me it's not really a question of better or worse..just different. Remembering what it was like is nostalgic - kind of like watching the original Star Trek on a 50" HDTV. :) I'll remember it with a smile as I log into my facebook while I'm at sea LOL

One thing I do really miss is that excitement when you got your cruise packet!! And even more exciting because they fed ex'ed it! Clicking the accept contract button - not quite as thrilling as the packet

My TA still sends out a packet! :)

This is a great thread!!! My first cruise in 1983- 3 or 4 day Miami to Bahamas, private island....my mom - her friend - me & my SIL. They had tenders taking you back from the island to the ship. My mom got on the wrong one - no ID required thought it was our ship...they take off heading to Jamaica...she is in her bathing suit....well they offered to take her along on the cruise but she was worried about us, her meds, clothes, etc. So they actually had to turn the ship around come back & meet our ship (NCL) she was transferred....

The funny part was we didn't know it was her...the whole ship was talking about it and then it turns out to be MY mother!!! All was well but I still tell the story to people.

P.S. In reply to the poster who was lamenting about the demise of the Baked Alaska Parade --- they still do the Baked Alaska Parade in the MDR ( at least on Alaska cruises).

Lots of fun, and everyone seems to love it. :)

Blech. I don't like the dorky parade and napkin waving. I don't care for the crummy version of Baked Alaska they serve either. Call me a crabby old man if you like but it just seems weird to me. I do agree that many seem to love it though. I just can't understand why... :confused:

Blech. I don't like the dorky parade and napkin waving. I don't care for the crummy version of Baked Alaska they serve either. Call me a crabby old man if you like but it just seems weird to me. I do agree that many seem to love it though. I just can't understand why... :confused:

They've just never tasted a real piece of Baked Alaska.

This is a great thread!!! My first cruise in 1983- 3 or 4 day Miami to Bahamas, private island....my mom - her friend - me & my SIL. They had tenders taking you back from the island to the ship. My mom got on the wrong one - no ID required thought it was our ship...they take off heading to Jamaica...she is in her bathing suit....well they offered to take her along on the cruise but she was worried about us, her meds, clothes, etc. So they actually had to turn the ship around come back & meet our ship (NCL) she was transferred....

The funny part was we didn't know it was her...the whole ship was talking about it and then it turns out to be MY mother!!! All was well but I still tell the story to people.

That's the BEST!!

P.S. In reply to the poster who was lamenting about the demise of the Baked Alaska Parade --- they still do the Baked Alaska Parade in the MDR ( at least on Alaska cruises).

Lots of fun, and everyone seems to love it. :)

Back in the day (my first Princess cruise was in 2003) it really was a flaming baked Alaska. These days it's a mockup model with a Sterno type burner in the middle of it.

Popping the ballloons on your lap game (singles party!), knobby knees contest, costume party, cheap drinks/free drinks during Octoberfest, dressing up, skeet shooting, hitting golf balls off ship, GREAT lobster, great music (it was the 80s, lol), great mix of people (ages), tiny cabins, small pools, missing the ship and being able to jump on from the pilot's boat, fishing off the ship....