Best RCI Starter Ship

Just had our first cruise and now we're hooked!! While in port in St. Thomas, we shared the docks with Explorer of the Seas. Now hubby wants to sail RCI! Seems actually after seeing that ship ALL the men on our cruise wanted to sail RCI.

So for first time RCI cruisers, which ship is the best one to take? We're also sort of partial to the caribbean ports. Hubby wants to book Freedom of the Seas, but i'm thinking that might be too much for us.

Any suggestions would be great.

Freedom will be the largest and newest RCI ship when it debuts next June and will have all sorts of bells and whistles. For a first timer on the line, you might want to start out with a Vision or Radiance class ship but for the ultimate WOW factor, one of the Voyager class ships can't be equalled. I think you will enjoy any class of RCI ship. Some people fear that if they start with the largest ships, any of the smaller ones will pale in comparison. However, I think each class has its own special pluses though overall I prefer the Radiance class ships which have many (not all) of the features of Voyager class ships but are more outer-directed. With all the glass on the Radiance class ships you never lose sight of the fact that you are sailing on the ocean. Voyager class ships, on the other hand, seem designed to draw you inside the ship where you can sometimes forget you are at sea. Pick up an RCI brochure and compare the various classes of ships and decide which features are important to you and which are not. Then compare the itineraries and see which ships offer you the one you like best. Finally, check out the prices and see if there are significant differences in what you will have to pay. Whichever ship you choose, I think you will find it very much to your liking. We have found the service to be excellent on every RCI ship we have sailed and I don't think you will be disappointed. After you have made your choice and taken your cruise, book another on a different class of ship and find out if you prefer one over the other. Good luck and happy cruising.:)

Well, it sounds like you're booking RCI because of your husband's reaction to being WOWed by the Voyager class ship. If that's the case...then maybe that is the type you should book. Or, start off with a BANG on Freedom and your husband may NEVER go back to the other lines.

That being said...I've sailed on Enchantment (post-stretch...so...Vision-plus class) and it was GREAT! I'm sailing on Serenade (Radiance class) for Thanksgiving, and then Freedom next October. Although I CAN'T WAIT to experience the crazy huge-ness of Freedom, I'm expecting that the Radiance class will end up being more MY type of ship.

And as negc pointed out, book another cruise on a different class...if you do that...do it while you are on board and you will get $100 onboard credit toward your next cruise. AND, you'll start getting Crown&Anchor discount coupons.

Welcome to RCI!

Our first experience was Vision class on Rhapsody ots ( the friendliest ship afloat) we just loved that ship and being able to see the sea all around you.

In 11 days we are on Mariner ots (Voyager class) and expect to be wowed by her, but next year we are booked to sail Jewel ots ( Radiance class) and I believe we will probably find her a good compromise between the friendliness of vision class and the Awsome of Voyager class:eek:

Whichever you choose have a great cruise.

How do you think RCI compares to Princess as a cruise line? We have sailed on Princess and we liked it a lot. I want to try RCI next. I realise most people in here like RCI a lot. Is there anyone who has sailed both who could give some pros and cons of each cruise line.

How do you think RCI compares to Princess as a cruise line? We have sailed on Princess and we liked it a lot. I want to try RCI next. I realise most people in here like RCI a lot. Is there anyone who has sailed both who could give some pros and cons of each cruise line.

If you liked your Princess cruise, I think you will be equally happy with a cruise on an RCI ship. The experience is similar in most ways. We have sailed both but prefer Royal Caribbean. Overall I think that RCI's ships have more of a WOW factor with their soaring atriums and their variety of lounges. Service is friendly on both lines and I didn't find much difference in the entertainment, activities, or the food quality or presentation. I prefer traditional dining over anytime dining but that is a personal preference that you might not share. I think that the largest Princess ships can be compared with the slightly smaller RCI Radiance class ships, but I think Voyager ships are unique and have features such as the Royal Promenade and the Ice Skating rink,that you won't find on any other class of ship and make it difficult to compare them with other ships or other lines.

RCI has a very good frequent guest program that offers many amenities, more as your number of cruises increases.

The demographic on both lines is very similar and, depending on the ship, the staterooms are similar in size. I think that overall the traffic patterns are better on RCI ships making it easier to get around and especially easy to get from one end of the ship to the other without any of the going up over and down that you sometimes find on other ships.

If self-service laundries are important to you, you won't find them on the current complement of RCI ships, but we have found that the ship's laundry service fits our needs and our budget.

You won't be taking a big risk if you book a cruise on Royal Caribbean. After you have sailed on one, you can decide for yourself if one line or the other is a better fit.

My opinion is that they are more alike than they are different. I think RCI excels in entertainment, nightlife, and drink quality, but Princess was superb in service and in the food department. RCI has very good food, but Princess had better and more choices than I ever had on RCI. While I've had a bad meal on RCI, which was immediately remedied by the waiter, I never had a bad meal on Princess. In addition, I found the service to be a bit more refined on Princess. However, I would not favor one over the other.

We're taking a cruise in December and had the option between the Legend and Grand Princess. In fact, Princess was a little cheaper for a better category cabin. However, we opted for the Legend as we liked the itinerary better.

If your husband liked Explorer, then you need to book a Voyager family (Eagle Class)ship. If you thought it was amazing on the outside, wait till you get inside.

Does anyone know why the Voyager class ships were stopped being called Eagle class? If I am correct that was the original name for this class of ship. Why did they stop using Eagle?

If your husband was awed by the Voyager class ship then I would suggest going with a Voyager or Freedom class ship. The other ships in RCCL's fleet are really nice but you seem to want to try something big. I will not endorse the other ships if you have your mind set on the bigger ships. I do not want to set you up for disappointment. Go with what your family wants.

Thanks for the info! How would you compare the shore excusions between the two lines? Are they about the same too?

What about ports of call? Does either line favor certain ports over others in the Caribbean? Which ones did you guys enjoy the most?

Well....

All I can add is .... RCCL .. the best ... And in my DW's and my oppinion The Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston Texas is your best bet.... best value for you money and the best crew. It was our first cruise and will always be our favorite ship ..... bigger is not always better. Whichever ship you choose you will love RCCL....... and you will be back many times over .... GOOD LUCK:D

Does anyone know why the Voyager class ships were stopped being called Eagle class? If I am correct that was the original name for this class of ship. Why did they stop using Eagle?
That was just the code name. It is kind of like the Freedom class ships being called Ultra Voyager class.

Our first cruise was on the Navigator (which is one of the Voyager Class ships) and it was an amazing experience! My husband and I (mid 30's) loved the variety of bars and lounges, thought the entertainement was good to very good, the food was very good to excellent. We also enjoyed the variety of activities, including the mini putt and the ice skating ring. And the adult only Solarium was a big plus for us- we had the choice of this pool for quiet time or the main pool for music and activities.

We had a great Eastern itinerary that included San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Bahamas but we loved the ships so much that we have booked a 9 day repositioning cruise on a sister ship (Explorer) with only 3 shore days so we can better use the ship's facilities.

I think you would love this type of ship as an introduction to RCI. If you don't want to wait for Freedom, Mariner and Navigator and the newer ships in Voyager class and have some modifications from the Adventure, Explorer, and Voyager.

Cheers,

Archived