Gratuities

But if you are giving her 'a big envelope of cash' for one person...what is appropriate for a family of 5? A big bag of cash?

I didn't eat there every night, but it was probably at least five times.

I had the same waitress each time. No matter when I walked in, she had my table waiting for me, and took better than fabulous care of me.

It was knock-your-socks-off customer service.

The hostess called me by name the first day, embarkation day. She remembered me from the Quantum.

To me, this is why I love cruising.

And yes, I am grateful that I am currently only paying for one. My days of taking the whole family on a cruise are over, somewhat unfortunately, since my children have their own lives now. Too difficult to coordinate everyone's schedules.

But yes, I would give at least $200 for five people for five nights. Think about that: It's 25 meals.

Just my opinion. (which you requested, otherwise I would not have foisted it upon you. ;))

Edited by Merion_Mom

I didn't eat there every night, but it was probably at least five times.

I had the same waitress each time. No matter when I walked in, she had my table waiting for me, and took better than fabulous care of me.

It was knock-your-socks-off customer service.

The hostess called me by name the first day, embarkation day. She remembered me from the Quantum.

To me, this is why I love cruising.

And yes, I am grateful that I am currently only paying for one. My days of taking the whole family on a cruise are over, somewhat unfortunately, since my children have their own lives now. Too difficult to coordinate everyone's schedules.

But yes, I would give at least $200 for five people for five nights. Think about that: It's 25 meals.

Just my opinion. (which you requested, otherwise I would not have foisted it upon you. ;0)

I did ask! So I appreciate the answer. Everyone is so vague about tipping. It gives everyone an idea of what people do.

And I do agree that it's 25 meals, and that is what I am paying for if I pay the auto grats.

I don't feel bad that I don't want to pay auto grats of $200, for dining only, and an additional $200, for dining only. Just another opinion.

Edited by marci22

I did ask! So I appreciate the answer. Everyone is so vague about tipping. It gives everyone an idea of what people do.

And I do agree that it's 25 meals, and that is what I am paying for if I pay the auto grats.

However: I consider myself a generous tipper, I contribute to charities, I help people out, but I don't feel bad that I don't want to pay auto grats of $200, for dining only, and an additional $200, for dining only. Just another opinion.

Let's look at that another way.

The auto-tips on your SeaPass are distributed to the waitstaff assigned to you in the main dining room.

They are not going to the staff in CK, afaik.

So, yes, it is a form of double tipping.

But without your cash in CK, those servers are not getting their fair share.

:)

The auto-tips on your SeaPass are distributed to the waitstaff assigned to you in the main dining room.

With the introduction of these restaurants that are for suite guests, do we actually know that suite guest gratuities for dining aren't going to the waiters in these restaurants?

I feel my responsibility ends when I have rewarded my dining team. And I assume that same dining team works in WJ and other venues as well, just like the MDR servers, who are not serving me at dinner.

I have always paid the suggested gratuities plus, without question. Things changed for me when they began distributing our 'gratuities' to 'services' and 'other'. I just don't like it.

RC allows me to tip as I wish, so I will do that. Not going to worry that someone's assistant or background person is not being paid properly. That really is Royal's job, not mine.

With the introduction of these restaurants that are for suite guests, do we actually know that suite guest gratuities for dining aren't going to the waiters in these restaurants?

The automatic gratuity is $13.50 USD, or $16.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:

Dining & Culinary Services: $8.30 USD

Stateroom Attendant: $3.85 USD OR Suite Attendant: $6.85 USD

Other Housekeeping Services: $1.35 USD OR Housekeeping and Suite Services: $1.35 USD

Doesn't look that way. And JS can eat in CK, but pay regular gratuities.

Edited by marci22

The automatic gratuity is $13.50 USD, or $16.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:

Dining & Culinary Services: $8.30 USD

Stateroom Attendant: $3.85 USD OR Suite Attendant: $6.85 USD

Other Housekeeping Services: $1.35 USD OR Housekeeping and Suite Services: $1.35 USD

Doesn't look that way. And JS can eat in CK, but pay regular gratuities.

True about JS having dinner access to CK, we almost upgraded to a JS on our upcoming Oasis cruise because of CK. The breakdowns used to specify waiter, head waiter, etc but now only say dining and culinary services, is that because they are actually channeling tips to those waiters in CK as well as others behind the scenes that we don't see?

Just really wondering out loud. The whole gratuity policy really doesn't fit how these ships have evolved.

Just want to point out that shouldn't these people be the ones we 'don't see', who are not working the MDR/MTD, but are being paid out of those auto tips?

But we should tip them equally to the nightly MDR servers?

I don't think anyone knows who they are tipping if they pay auto grats.

True about JS having dinner access to CK, we almost upgraded to a JS on our upcoming Oasis cruise because of CK. The breakdowns used to specify waiter, head waiter, etc but now only say dining and culinary services, is that because they are actually channeling tips to those waiters in CK as well as others behind the scenes that we don't see?

Just really wondering out loud. The whole gratuity policy really doesn't fit how these ships have evolved.

Yes it's a vague approximation of where your money is actually going. I don't know either. That's why each person has to decide what's best for them. And we should stop yelling at each other about it.

Yes it's a vague approximation of where your money is actually going. I don't know either. That's why each person has to decide what's best for them. And we should stop yelling at each other about it.

I agree. Sometimes these questions are just that, an honest question, not a thread started by someone with a big spoon in their hand.;):)

I just booked my first Royal cruise and had to select the My Time Dining because the regular times were unavailable. This forced me to select the Pre-Paid gratuities option, so they are now included in my total cost for the cruise. Does this mean that there is no way to adjust them at Guest Services with the intention of paying in cash on ship? I'm just wondering what my option are now that I have selected the Pre-Paid Option. I'm assuming that they will be paid along with the rest of the cruise fare before I board, and if I want to pay more in tips, I can do so in person in cash.

I just booked my first Royal cruise and had to select the My Time Dining because the regular times were unavailable. This forced me to select the Pre-Paid gratuities option, so they are now included in my total cost for the cruise. Does this mean that there is no way to adjust them at Guest Services with the intention of paying in cash on ship? I'm just wondering what my option are now that I have selected the Pre-Paid Option. I'm assuming that they will be paid along with the rest of the cruise fare before I board, and if I want to pay more in tips, I can do so in person in cash.

Royal no longer requires prepaid gratuities for My Time Dining. Call Royal and have them remove the gratuities.

Please explain what you mean about not receiving OBC with their credit card?? I use the RCI visa card and last cruise I cashed in my points for about $700 of OBC. i plan to do the same for our next cruise.

If you use free cruise then you are not allowed to receive any discounts or on board credit.

I don't feel bad that I don't want to pay auto grats of $200, for dining only, and an additional $200, for dining only. Just another opinion.

I just wanted to add:

I think of it like this.

I pay my auto-gratuities. My cabin steward gets a set amount from me every day that way. It's a perfectly adequate amount, as far as I am concerned.

If my cabin steward is absolutely amazing, I give him/her more.

So even if CK *is* included in the tipping pool, I found them so amazing and "above and beyond" that I wanted to reward that service.

So even if CK *is* included in the tipping pool, I found them so amazing and "above and beyond" that I wanted to reward that service.

I do understand. In my case, where I am eating every meal in CK, I feel like that's where my server tips should be going. Not to the MDR waiters. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving CK servers a token tip, but I also feel that I should not have to tip two sets of people the full amount.

And I realize a lot of people will criticize this method as penalizing 'behind the scenes people'. I will let Royal deal with that.

I do understand. In my case, where I am eating every meal in CK, I feel like that's where my server tips should be going. Not to the MDR waiters. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving CK servers a token tip, but I also feel that I should not have to tip two sets of people the full amount.

And I realize a lot of people will criticize this method as penalizing 'behind the scenes people'. I will let Royal deal with that.

Honestly, I have no idea whether you're penalizing "behind the scenes people". It's not uncommon in restaurants or at bars on land to pool tips. It apparently also isn't uncommon for the tipped server to "re-tip" bussers, etc. Everyone wants to believe the person they individually tip gets the cash, but I've not worked on a cruise ship, and have no idea what the actual acceptable "norm" is for pooling and sharing. On land, I think most of us tip our primary server based on our perception of the overall service, which in many cases is just as heavily influenced by the person with the water pitcher and the busser removing plates, etc., which makes it in the server's best interest to "take care" of those other people. Probably the same on a cruise ship.

I'm just lazy, I guess, and assume the workforce has this worked out and just do the auto tips. Although I do usually tip extra in the specialty restaurants, which some here find insane.