Need Help Re: Princess Roll Call Get Togethers

mlbcruiser

We haven't sailed with Princess in several years and I can't recall how our roll call get together was handled. Wondering if they require registration for a meet & mingle type event, or if they normally hold roll call get togethers without one? I saw something on this site (that I can't put my finger on at the moment) indicating they post the time & place in the Princess Patter newsletter. I'm guessing someone from the roll call must contact Princess prior to the cruise to let them know a roll call group wants to meet on board. Also, probably have a participation requirement regarding a minimum number of passengers wanting to take part - ?

Thanks for any helpful info.!

Yes, if you have time & organization can be a Big deal. Or......

I just posted this on the other Meet & greet thread:

We did an Informal M&G couple months ago on Crown. But you could

do this on almost any ship.

We said, First sea day, 11am, at a Bar that was officially closed but the doors were open. We just sat inside & visited for an hour.....

There we approx a dozen of us that showed up.

No name tags, or crew. Just a time & place. It works.

You can set up an Informal M&G and wing it like we did.

:)

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

We haven't sailed with Princess in several years and I can't recall how our roll call get together was handled. Wondering if they require registration for a meet & mingle type event, or if they normally hold roll call get togethers without one? I saw something on this site (that I can't put my finger on at the moment) indicating they post the time & place in the Princess Patter newsletter. I'm guessing someone from the roll call must contact Princess prior to the cruise to let them know a roll call group wants to meet on board. Also, probably have a participation requirement regarding a minimum number of passengers wanting to take part - ?

If you will be the coordinator of your roll call, you have to know the contact person & email at Princess head office who deals with this. I suggest you start a thread with this query.

Thanks for the replies and help!

The reason I posted this question was because when I checked my other one shortly after posting, I couldn't find it! Thought perhaps it got kicked off for talking about RCI's Meet & Mingles on a Princess board. Sorry!

Anyway, yes I know we can make our own M&G without even involving Princess. Have done one on sailaway day many times even when there was going to be a ship sponsored Meet and Mingle. And have also coordinated a large group one on Celebrity through the activities coordinator on Celebrity and NCL in the past. We don't have too many interested so far so wasn't sure that there would be much interest in doing the "informal", non-cruise line get together. There's still a chance, though! Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it. Now had better go read the question on other thread, lol!

Edited by mlbcruiser

Have never seen an M& M listed in the patter but I read the same post as you :( If you're going to organise the meet up make sure you're nice to everyone on your roll call. I've been on some where I've felt so bullied I didn't even show up.

I think Princess requires a minimum of 25 people to schedule an area for a M&G.

I would not have it posted in the Princess Patter. I have heard that people will see the word "Critic" and show up to voice all there complaints. Just arrange the date, time and place and post it on the Roll Call for your cruise.

Thanks for the replies and help!

The reason I posted this question was because when I checked my other one shortly after posting, I couldn't find it! Thought perhaps it got kicked off for talking about RCI's Meet & Mingles on a Princess board. Sorry!

Anyway, yes I know we can make our own M&G without even involving Princess. Have done one on sailaway day many times even when there was going to be a ship sponsored Meet and Mingle. And have also coordinated a large group one on Celebrity through the activities coordinator on Celebrity and NCL in the past. We don't have too many interested so far so wasn't sure that there would be much interest in doing the "informal", non-cruise line get together. There's still a chance, though! Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it. Now had better go read the question on other thread, lol!

Having done it for our cruise in January, I can maybe answer your questions. Princess is perhaps the least involved in setting up a M&M or M&G. Your roll call will need a coordinator who will email the shore based activity coordinator with a count of how many will attend. That person will then set up a time and place for the meeting. Usually it is late morning of the day after sail a way in a normally closed bar. Princess will provide a bar tender if you want a cash bar. You will also be told that the officers will be notified, however my experience is that if you don't specifically invite them don't plan on any/many showing up. I don't recall it being published in the Patter. And, as roll call coordinator plan on doing any introductions or announcements.

Paul - That's exactly what happened on the Grand Princess west-bound Trans-Atlantic on 11/1/2006. They announced our Get-Together in the Patter and filled up the whole room with people who had no idea what Cruise Critic was. Somehow I got elected to stand up and explain what Cruise Critic does and how to use it. We even took people to the computer lab and helped them obtain a user name and log in. So it turned out to be a positive experience for most of the people after they got over their disappointment at not being able to criticize anything!

I would not have it posted in the Princess Patter. I have heard that people will see the word "Critic" and show up to voice all there complaints. Just arrange the date, time and place and post it on the Roll Call for your cruise.

A helpful tip that is commonly overlooked.

I have set up Meet and Greets for several cruises.

This is what you need to do:

1) Talk to the people on your roll call and determine how many people will attend.

As pointed out earlier, you need to have about 25 people at a minimum for Princess to set aside an area for your group.

2) Pick a representative for your group. If you want to be the representative just state this and I think everyone will be glad to have someone else do this.

3) About one to two months before the cruise contact (email) the Princess Representative for your ship.

4) Tell them that you are the representative for your Cruise Critic group and you would like them to set aside an area for a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet meeting.

5) You can suggest a date and time. I think the best day is the first sea day of the cruise. You can also suggest a time. I have experienced that right after lunch at 1:00pm works the best for getting the most people to show up.

6) Important, as mentioned earlier, request a “NO HOST BAR” You don’t want to be billed for everyone’s drinks.

7) The last person I heard of for the Regal representative is:

Lawrence Andrada

661 284 4445

landrada@princesscruises.com

If you email them and someone else has taken over the Regal they will send the request on to the correct person.

Thank you all for the help. Perhaps some of you missed what I'd written in post #4 of this thread about having arranged some Meet & Greets before. Guess I wasn't clear about the fact that I know about contacting an activites or group coordinator ahead of time on some lines. Just wasn't sure how Princess handled it currently. Something I ran across on this site a few wks. back had me confused (I will paste it near the end of this post.) Princess isn't the only line that doesn't do that much w/regard to CC Meet & Mingles (sometimes called Meet & Greets as well). Several operate the same way. Sometimes the M&Ms are lots of fun, and sometimes not so much. On the occasion when a good CD or asst. CD shows up, it helps, too. Even within a particular cruise line, some ships have better M&MS than others. In the case of our upcoming sailing, there are just a few - maybe 4 so far? - posters who want to get together. So I have no reason to contact Princess for a special venue. Thankfully no one on our thread is snotty or a bully (though some roll calls I've been on have had that type!).

ilovhywd, thanks for posting that sometimes Princess HAS posted the time/place of a M&M in the Patter. I honestly don't know if they do or not, but thought so based on something I will paste at the end of this post. RCI always puts the time/place in their Cruise Compass dailies and we've sailed with them many times and attended many M&Ms on their ships. If anyone showed up to complain (or shall I say critique), they never let it be known at any of those gatherings.

I first saw the info/post below somewhere (?) on this site a few wks. ago, copied it and pasted it onto our roll call. The third paragraph up from the bottom mentions the time being posted in the Princess Patter. I don't know how old this info. is, though. ANYONE READING THIS DO NOT GO BY THE FOLLOWING INFO AS IT MAY NO LONGER BE VALID!

Princess Cruises Meet & Mingle

Join Cruise Critic members who have chatted with one another on our Princess Cruises community prior to their cruise. You've interacted with each other for weeks, months...some of you for years! Cruise lines appreciate and recognize your loyalty and want to make your cruise vacation special. Don't pass on an opportunity to meet each other. You'll be glad you did!

How to Set Up Your Princess Meet & Mingle

Meet & Mingle Online Before Your Cruise

Find your Princess Roll Call using our Roll Call Tool. Then, join discussion before your cruise to find out who you'll be sailing with, make new friends and perhaps even share a shore excursion or two!

The information below has been confirmed to us by Princess Cruises. We appreciate the generosity of Princess Cruises in setting up these gatherings as they recognize the loyalty of Cruise Critic members. However, it should not be expected that each ship will offer the same amenities, or anything at all. Remember, too, that paid groups on board may take precedence over non-paid groups, and there are often many groups on board vying for the same space. All of the above said, get started with the party planning!

Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle parties will be held on all Princess Cruises sailings. Please check the daily activities program, called Princess Patters, for notification regarding the day, location and time of the event. Should you wish to pre-arrange the Meet & Mingle for your sailing, please contact Princess Cruises Customer Service at 1-800-PRINCESS. Please make sure your efforts are coordinated so that only ONE person contacts Princess Cruises.

If You Sign Up, GO!

We know there were SO MANY choices on board it is easy to see how it would be tempting to skip the Meet & Mingle, but DON'T! You'll be pleasantly surprised by how much effort is put into these gatherings by the staff on board. Make it worth their while, too. They truly want to meet you (and you can get a few nice pics with them, too!). Also, don't sign up just so a party will be held. It is disappointing to members, as well as the staff on board, to have only a few show up -- when they were anticipating a crowd.

As the M&G coordinator for our Regal Cruise last month, I can tell you there was NO mention in the Patter. I personally spoke with Princess prior to the cruise and was directed to Lawrence Andrada:

Lawrence Andrada

661 284 4445

landrada@princesscruises.com

He gave me the on board contact person which was the head of Guest Services. He also said if we wanted any Officers to attend to prepare invitations stating the time and place (ours was in Club 6 at 11AM on the first sea day) and give them to said Guest Services head.

My invites were: "On behalf of Cruise Critic we would be honored if you could stop by for a few minutes during our M&G, etc...". I invited the entire top echelon of staff and lo and behold, they ALL showed up! We had about 45 in attendance and the Commodore made sure to allow each child to get a picture with him.:)

Good luck with you M&G!

Aloha1, sounds like a great M&M. No doubt you were expecting, and had, a great turnout. Two of us on a roll call for the NCL Pearl managed to get the capt. and his officers to attend our M&M when that ship was only a couple of months old. It ended up being a really helpful thing as the officer in charge of restaurants gave us his phone number, telling us that if we had ANY problems or needed help with anything involving the dining venues we should call him. This came in VERY handy with regard to obtaining dining reservations and expanding one we already had!

After 30+ Princess cruises I have never seen it published in the Patter.

There was a time that if you made a written request of the CD to put a notice of the M&G in the Patters they would do so. However, in recent years having such a request to any number of CDs it hasn't happened. I suspect a big part of the reason is that a substantial part of the Patters is made up days if not weeks in advance. However, it is interesting that notices of Friends of Bill and LBGT meetings are included in the Patters.

There was a time that if you made a written request of the CD to put a notice of the M&G in the Patters they would do so. However, in recent years having such a request to any number of CDs it hasn't happened. I suspect a big part of the reason is that a substantial part of the Patters is made up days if not weeks in advance. However, it is interesting that notices of Friends of Bill and LBGT meetings are included in the Patters.

I suspect that it's because anyone on the ship can go to Bill or LBGT meetings but they are loathe to advertise something for CC members only.

I suspect that it's because anyone on the ship can go to Bill or LBGT meetings but they are loathe to advertise something for CC members only.

I think you are likely correct, the ship makes the space available but I not sure that just 'anyone' would be welcome.