Question for those who have motion sickness

Let me be the first - the patch did not work for me the first time I flew. I still threw up the entire flight. Again, each of us is a little different.

Eww, nasty. Sorry this happened. :(

My daughter gets nauseated on airplanes and what worked for her is Gravol Ginger tablets. I'm thinking this is available only in Canada, but a similar ginger product may work for you and others. Just a suggestion. :)

I agree with you, which is why I tell everyone to take it at night and start 2 days before your cruise. Sorry you had a hard time with it.

I do the same. Take it at night, a few days before you sail. I have never been sea sick on a cruise, and we've been in some pretty rough seas.

Add me to the Bonine/Meclizine fan club! I tried the patch on one cruise and it was a nightmare. I was asleep before the show each night, felt queasy and at one point I must have touched the patch before touching my eye. It blew the pupil in my right eye, and I was forced to wear sunglasses continually for the rest of the cruise.

When I use Bonine, I don't get drowsy, feel fine and can enjoy my cruise.

Along with all the great advice above:

Take a cruise leaving from Florida or San Juan, avoid the Atlantic. Don't even think about Alaska, as the Seas there can be very choppy. Motion sickness bags were out our entire trip.

Eat lightly, avoid heavy or greasy food. Eat toast or crackers, drink gingerale. Minimize the amount if alcohol consumed. Stay hydrated.

Consider trip insurance in case he is so miserable he needs to leave the cruise and fly home.

Good luck. My eldest daughter has bad motion sickness and has tried almost everything. She just puts up with it. She says it isn't as bad after 4 or 5 days.:eek:

I've been taking Bonine since 1984 when it was only by prescription, as Meclizine.

I take one the morning of sailing, and another around 4pm. That makes a huge difference when sailing out of Florida, and crossing the Florida Straits.

After that I'm good unless we run into really rough water. It's not the pitch that gets me, it's the roll.

I have been seasick on theme park rides, a ferry, a glass bottom boat!!! and just watching kids on a swing. I'm afraid to risk trying anything else, because once you're sick, it's too late for anything but an anti-nausea shot at the infirmary. $$$$$.

There is a child's version, and a lot of people buy generic Bonine. Just ask your pharmacist for Meclizine which evidently comes in larger packages for less money.

Glass bottom boat!!! You just brought back memories from a Florida family vacation in the 70's and a trip to Silver Springs. I got so sick! :eek:

I agree with all of the above. Also, the bars will give you a free glass of ginger ale to help (at least they did for me). The medical facility should also have some extra pills if you run out. Start taking the pills 2 nights before you leave for the cruise and then take at night when you go to bed. If you need to throw up, just do it! you will feel much better afterwards. Then drink some cold OJ or some cold water. Stay cool. Being warm makes me sicker! If barfing, leave the door to the bathroom open and have your significant other turn on the air conditioner. Also, here is a hint: If you see that they have put the sick sacks out by the stairways, either take a pill or carry one with you! They put them out for a reason. They know rough seas may be coming.

It was on the Allure that my son was violently ill. He could not even leave the cabin for the whole cruise without throwing up. Our next cruise I had him take the Bonine and no seasickness at all...so this is not necessarily true. He now takes it for every cruise he takes.

Wow - sorry to hear that! Had no idea that it could happen on Allure - I literally felt no motion whatsoever on any of the trips I took on Allure and Oasis

Mike

Add me to the list of Bonine fans on this site! The last two of my total four cruises involved sailing in the Atlantic with some rough seas. I start Bonine 25 mg twice daily at least 48 hours before sailing. While on the ship, I found green apples and ginger tablets helped seal the deal to prevent any major motion sickness.

I also admit to drinking a medicinal amount of champagne in the morning (mimosas!) and having an adult beverage every few hours through a sea day. The alcohol serves as a Central Nervous System depressant, just like the Bonine. I am easily prone to motion sickness, but thanks to this regimen, I am a seasoned cruiser and can't wait for my next cruise!

I get horrible motion sickness. I used the patch prescribed to me by my doctor and was mostly fine. I definitely felt the movement of the ship but it didn't make me sick. The only time that I felt sick was if I looked at the water for too long. Which is a shame because it's such a pretty view.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree Bonine or going to the doctor for more help.

I say ginger ale and anything that he knows calms a stomach. For me peppermint gum, raspberry tea, crackers. Now I think there are powered drink stuff to pack to add to water. There are packets of crackers for soup up at the WJ. Maybe at night calming tea to help sleep & Music, Music, Music, and did I say music to help calm. Maybe some favorite shows on a tablet to get his mind focused on something other than a rocking ship, especially that last strech home can be the hardest and the most I am tired and want of this ride.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm another fan of Motion Ease.

My daughter (moreso when she was younger) could not ride in the car for more than 30 minutes without getting carsick.

She generally uses Children's gravel (only in Canada, pity!) for the flight and the first day (or two) of the cruise, then I switch her to Motion Ease.

I remember one sailing (I think it was Carnival dReam)! the movement of the ship was so bad (the captain was trying to make up time back to Port Canaveral) that the swimming pool turned into a wave pool and there were waves splashing out of the pool to the point where there elevator floors were soaked (each time the glass doors opened - the water poured in).

That night, all I gave my daughter was motion ease, and she was fine.

Hard to find in Canada, and you pay a fortunate here if you do find it. I like to buy it from the Walmart in Merritt Island. others (above) have said you can find it on Amazon.

If given the choice between feeling a little ill and being groggy/doped up/sleepy, I would choose feeling a little ill.

It's like a ship full of zombies when they are all wearing the patch.:D