men's shoes in Main Dining Room

Out of Iowa

It seems that "elegant night" isn't as formal as it used to be...

I'm wondering when men could get away with new & clean, white tennis shoes in the main dining room? He'll wear khakis and a collared polo-style shirt. The shoes will be clean - and beneath the table most all the time. Otherwise, we go hunting for some Sperry-type loafers.

What has been your man's recent experience with this, please?

On my January Victory Cruise I wore boat shoes no socks each night. I don't understand the fuss. It seems Elegant Night is wearing off on most lines. Just off of Allure of the Seas and it was no different. I wore (pressed) dress shorts and a polo shirt in the MDR each night with no strange looks. On "formal" nights saw very few tuxedos or suits. Hey it's a vacation. Not out to offend anyone. Booked on Celebrity (my favorite) and they don't have formal nights anymore. :D

The soles of my shoes disintegrated as I was walking to the dining room on one cruise. I was literally leaving a trail of rubber as I walked. I ended up taking them off and going to dinner in my socks. Some crew member must have been watching our group talk about my shoes and taking pictures of the trail I was leaving because about 10 minutes into dinner a pair of rental shoes were brought to me with a note that they saw what happened and thought I might appreciate these for the night. They had fished the shoes out of the garbage can I used in the bathroom to get the size.

Dark socks are probably good enough. :D

On my January Victory Cruise I wore boat shoes no socks each night. I don't understand the fuss. It seems Elegant Night is wearing off on most lines. Just off of Allure of the Seas and it was no different. I wore (pressed) dress shorts and a polo shirt in the MDR each night with no strange looks. On "formal" nights saw very few tuxedos or suits. Hey it's a vacation. Not out to offend anyone. Booked on Celebrity (my favorite) and they don't have formal nights anymore. :D

Exactly! Same with Princess!

Like it or not, things are way more relaxed than they once were.

I'm wondering when men could get away with new & clean, white tennis shoes in the main dining room? He'll wear khakis and a collared polo-style shirt. The shoes will be clean - and beneath the table most all the time. Otherwise, we go hunting for some Sperry-type loafers.

He'll be fine with what he's planning to wear on Carnival's Elegant Nights!

Enjoy your cruise! :D

The men I travel with wear what they would wear to a nice restaurant in the Southwest or what they would wear at an all inclusive resort: cotton or linen slacks, a silk hawaiian cut shirt, and casual slip on loafers no socks for elegant night, golf shirts and knee length shorts with "jesus" sandals all other nights. They have never been turned away from the main dining room. Us girls wear slacks and tops or sundresses on elegant nights, walking shorts and cotton tops the rest of the time always with strappy sandals.

Based on one's only experience of many Carnival's clientelle's idea of "formal" dress, your man will definitely be considered as being overdressed on formal nights.

I've worn khakis, polo, and hiking shoes (Merrell's). Actually that's what I prefer to wear and have worn. Really, as long as he is not wearing shorts and a tank top, he'll be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't care if nobody else dresses up. On elegant night I'm gonna wear my Allen Edmonds McAllisters under my kilt.

e17wc9.jpg

I'm not judging others by the way - I really don't care what y'all wear. But I spent good money on this stuff and need a grand excuse to wear it! lol. I reckon fancy cruise night is good enough reason.

Edited by originalgeek

I don't care if nobody else dresses up. On elegant night I'm gonna wear my Allen Edmonds McAllisters under my kilt.

e17wc9.jpg

I'm not judging others by the way - I really don't care what y'all wear. But I spent good money on this stuff and need a grand excuse to wear it! lol. I reckon fancy cruise night is good enough reason.

Good man. I will be wearing my Allen Edmonds Hopkinson black cap toe Oxfords.

allenedmonds_shoes_hopkinson_7685_black.jpg?sw=850&sh=850&sm=fit

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

Straight from the Carnival website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

It does not state anything about tennis shoes, it does say no flip-flops.... it does say no "sportswear"... not sure if that would include tennis shoes.

I have seen men in shorts turned away on Elegant night, I've also seen men in shorts in the MDR on Elegant night (different ships). I do think ships adhere differently to the rules above, welcome to Carnival!

If cruising on Celebrity don't try shorts in the MDR any night, long pants or "better"....

One cruise I forgot my black dress shoes, wore my tennis shoes (black) with my tux, not a word said.... if I take my tux again, the dress shoes will be "forgotten" again...

Edited by bobsfamily

We just did our first cruise last week on a 7 night cruise so we had 2 formal nights even though second formal night we went to steak house and still had to dress up. 2 pairs of dress pants, 2 dress shirts, a belt and dress shoes take up valuable space in your suite case. I agree your on vacation, the required elegant night needs to be relaxed to optional. The weight and space my dress clothes took up in my suit case really could have been used for more useful things I couldn't fit in.

e17wc9.jpg

Those are some good lookin' shoes! :)

My DH wears leather driving shoes (like a lightweight loafer) with no socks ... but then ,,, after he retired he never wears socks except for with his tux (not brought on cruises on Carnival ) or if it's below freezing (not often here in the south) :D

The soles of my shoes disintegrated as I was walking to the dining room on one cruise. I was literally leaving a trail of rubber as I walked. I ended up taking them off and going to dinner in my socks. Some crew member must have been watching our group talk about my shoes and taking pictures of the trail I was leaving because about 10 minutes into dinner a pair of rental shoes were brought to me with a note that they saw what happened and thought I might appreciate these for the night. They had fished the shoes out of the garbage can I used in the bathroom to get the size.

Dark socks are probably good enough. :D

LOL! Kevin, that exact thing happened to me a few years ago, it was so embarrassing! I had to have our cabin steward come in and vacuum up all the black rubber in the carpet of our cabin, so I didn't get too far. Those shoes ended up in the trash that night too. :) To this day, I wonder why that happened, and they were NOT cheap shoes.

Funny that we both had the same crazy shoe experience.. :D

I've been to weddings where someone thought it was cute to wear sneakers with his suit. He must have though he was so cool, but he should have heard what we was saying about him behind his back.