A Painful Decesion

Hi Folks

Its about 190 days until our cruise on Explorer of the Seas on 10th November, and about 6 weeks until the loss of deposit period kicks in.

My painful decision is to decide if i should cancel on or before June 13th or hang on a bit longer and risk loosing my $600 deposit if if health issues don't improve enough to allow me to travel.

I don't feel that I will be able to get cancellation insurance with an ongoing medical issue hanging over me. In fact at the moment travel insurance I feel my be very hard to obtain , many policies exclude cover for ongoing back problems

And the cruise line would most probably not permit me to go against doctors orders.

At the moment I'm sure my doctor would not let me travel at all my only real hope is that I get some improvement before the June 13th date that will allow me to risk my deposit , but $600 is no trifle .

Any suggestions as I am feeling rather down being left at home whilst the ship sails.

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

I would cancel, $600 is a lot of money and I wouldn't want to risk losing it.

If your health improves, there are bound to be last minute deals about that you could take advantage of, like others have said.

I hope things get better for you soon!

Definitely take your deposit back now. I know it's disappointing but if you won't be able to get insurance at this point that's too risky for my liking. If your health improves, you'll be in a fabulous position to take advantage of the last minute offers, maybe even get a bigger cabin or longer cruise for your money. Incentive to look after yourself [emoji4]

Agree, sad though it will be. By cancelling now and getting your deposit back you will have one weight off your mind. And as others have said, you may well be in a position to pick up a cheaper fare for the cruise closer to sail date if your health improves. We had to cancel a Mediterranean cruise after full payment and lost something like $2k on it so better to do it early I feel.

I think it depends on how important the $600 is worth to you. Most replies (me included) suggest that it is prudent to cancel. On the other hand if money is not an issue then the OP would be in a position to leave it and take the risk. Question is whether he would be upset with the possible loss of $600. I've lost deposits in the past and it was a decision that was 'grin and bear it'. The lost deposits although a reasonable amount were not enormous IMO so I was Ok to cancel.

Edited by Aussieflyer

I think it depends on how important the $600 is worth to you. Most replies (me included) suggest that it is prudent to cancel. On the other hand if money is not an issue then the OP would be in a position to leave it and take the risk. Question is whether he would be upset with the possible loss of $600.

Based on the statement in the OP that "$600 is no trifle" I'd take it that it's significant enough that the prudent approach is to cancel, if still unsure in 6 weeks' time.

Edited by The_Big_M

Agreed but suppose it depends on how important that $600 is - I'd certainly want to get it back if possible but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had left it and then had to cancel later - annoying though at the loss.

Hi Folks,

With the upcoming cruise we are booked in a grand suite on explorer , we got a very fair price and it would be our first suite, we were / are looking forward to this very much as you are aware this cruise is to compensate for the Christmas cruise where I had to leave the ship due to illness and then I had to cancel another cruise we had for March on Golden Princess.

I found after the debacle I had with Princess that I did not fancy cruising with them just yet and after good trips with both RC and X we decided to book this one with lots of lead up time which I thought would allow me to recover enough to go .. so a big upset that I am not well enough ..

Loosing the $600 deposit would not be the end of the world but is not a trivial sum.

Its very frustrating with the illness preventing me from doing just about anything, having to spend many hours in bed, I have so many things I want to do , like this morning I just have to go to Bunnings to by Lightbulbs or the monster from the dark side will emerge from the dunny and cause havoc

I feel I will have to cancel the cruise but am reluctant to let the nice Grand Suite go , its just what I wanted , I'm going to hold on until the end of the month I have until the 13th June .. and I'll try desperately to defy the doctor and be well enough to go if the worst comes to the worst I will cancel and hope when I am well enough to travel I will be able to find a nice suite at the right price

Best Regards

John

Hi Folks,

With the upcoming cruise we are booked in a grand suite on explorer , we got a very fair price and it would be our first suite, we were / are looking forward to this very much as you are aware this cruise is to compensate for the Christmas cruise where I had to leave the ship due to illness and then I had to cancel another cruise we had for March on Golden Princess.

I found after the debacle I had with Princess that I did not fancy cruising with them just yet and after good trips with both RC and X we decided to book this one with lots of lead up time which I thought would allow me to recover enough to go .. so a big upset that I am not well enough ..

Loosing the $600 deposit would not be the end of the world but is not a trivial sum.

Its very frustrating with the illness preventing me from doing just about anything, having to spend many hours in bed, I have so many things I want to do , like this morning I just have to go to Bunnings to by Lightbulbs or the monster from the dark side will emerge from the dunny and cause havoc

I feel I will have to cancel the cruise but am reluctant to let the nice Grand Suite go , its just what I wanted , I'm going to hold on until the end of the month I have until the 13th June .. and I'll try desperately to defy the doctor and be well enough to go if the worst comes to the worst I will cancel and hope when I am well enough to travel I will be able to find a nice suite at the right price

Best Regards

John

I feel for you John, not a lot of fun not being able to get out of bed, not even being able to wipe the *** After the dunny, having to get people to do the most basic things for you.

Thinking of you mate.

Keep the chin up.

Hi Folks,

Best Regards

John

Sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues. All you can do is have good travel insurance that cover the loss of the deposit or be prepared to swallow the loss of the deposit.

Hi Folks

Its about 190 days until our cruise on Explorer of the Seas on 10th November, and about 6 weeks until the loss of deposit period kicks in.

My painful decision is to decide if i should cancel on or before June 13th or hang on a bit longer and risk loosing my $600 deposit if if health issues don't improve enough to allow me to travel.

I don't feel that I will be able to get cancellation insurance with an ongoing medical issue hanging over me. In fact at the moment travel insurance I feel my be very hard to obtain , many policies exclude cover for ongoing back problems

And the cruise line would most probably not permit me to go against doctors orders.

At the moment I'm sure my doctor would not let me travel at all my only real hope is that I get some improvement before the June 13th date that will allow me to risk my deposit , but $600 is no trifle .

Any suggestions as I am feeling rather down being left at home whilst the ship sails.

Regards

John

I wouldn't cancel. It's still a long way off. As you said you have your heart set on the grand suite, & $600 is a lot of money to lose, but nothing really when you weigh up the total cost of a holiday.

My opinion is based on the fact that I have been very slow to recover after some lengthy medical treatment. I had to cancel a couple of major cruise holidays in the last two years and lost some money along the way. I too struggle to get travel insurance due to my issues.

But you still have to live your life! When you are so sick and somewhat disabled for a long time, all you want to do is go on a cruise & have some fun and nice things in your life for a change & to escape everything you have been going through. So you have to have a bit of hope that you will get better & a bit of positive thinking helps both mentally and physically.

Dear John, just wondering if it might be worthwhile double checking with the travel insurance company's.

I feel for you a couple of years ago I had fairly major facial surgery and my doctor told me I was to do nothing for 6 weeks. I had a cruise booked and fully paid for to PNG I never told my doctor I went!