Problem with NCl Booking-unreasonable policy

cleobella

We also booked our May cruise a year ago. We received a very favourable exchange rate of 1.07% when we booked. This rate also covered our purchased OBC, SDP and pre-paid gratuities or anything else we purchase prior to sailing. I'm quite sure you would have also booked at a very low rate.

Many people on my cruise from Canada booked much later and paid a rate of 1.33% +, so you have saved a lot of money booking early. Don't let $200.00 ruin your anticipation of your cruise!

Many things to consider when looking at a price drop....Airfare difference if you waited to book with a lower cruise cost, losing a perk ( no money is worth losing my drink package. Have you seen those pay per drink prices??), not getting the room you want if that is important to you.

Getting the "right" price is worse than gambling...you never know when to fold them.

On some cruises we got really low pricing with perks and on others we paid more for the same cruise itinerary. It needs to be averaged out and you will see what a good deal cruising really is!!

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

my advice for the OP is when final payment day comes, stop looking at prices or specials or deals. it will just frustrate you

Agree 100% - this is the best course of action!

The saying "ignorance is bliss" definitely applies here!

Thanks to those who responded in a constructive manner. I am still not satisfied with the situation, but from your comments I do understand that NCL doesn't owe me anything after final payment. Maybe we will change our booking strategy next time around and wait a bit to see if better deals come up. To those who made fun of my post, especially the person who wondered if I was part of an "entitled generation", these assumptions, and sarcastic answers are not nice, helpful or necessary.

This is the exact same policy of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. This is standard industry wide and actually if you go to the Celebrity board you can find a recent thread where the person was 42 days out......same situation.

Celebrity did not offer anything other than the option of upgrading to a suite for a lot more....that is life. If you are not happy book 30 days out...but then you struggle with airfare and are uncertain about whether you can get off of work and there are lots of other issues......

Thanks to those who responded in a constructive manner. I am still not satisfied with the situation, but from your comments I do understand that NCL doesn't owe me anything after final payment. Maybe we will change our booking strategy next time around and wait a bit to see if better deals come up. To those who made fun of my post, especially the person who wondered if I was part of an "entitled generation", these assumptions, and sarcastic answers are not nice, helpful or necessary.

Most don't seem to understand how you can still not be satisfied with the situation. That's not "poking fun", it's astute.

You are frustrated at a better deal being offered for your cruise at a time when you cannot fully take advantage of it as clearly stated in the terms and conditions. That's not an unreasonable policy... it's buyer's remorse.

You knew the conditions of your fare at the time you booked and the (oftentimes common) ramifications of a drop in fare after your final payment due date and yet you continue to bemoan the unfairness of the situation.

You really shouldn't expect a lot of sympathy or compassion - but you shouldn't be mocked.

Unreasonable policy? As others have said you could have taken a chance and gotten a better rate by waiting , but more than likely would have paid a premium for airfare. Likely offsetting any savings.

Book when comfortable and live with it.

People have a tendency to get greedy, just look at a recent thread when people thought NCL was being unreasonable when they cut- off the amount of OBC .

We booked with NCl almost a year ago, and also paid out the balance early. We are repeat customers and I have already added about $500 in extras, which are paid for. Last week I note that they are now offering a promo, and see that the base price for our trip dropped $200 pp. I have made 2 calls and spent over an hour, trying to negotiate something that will make this situation better for us. I suggested that they add one of the promo features to our account but they declined. They offered an upgrade but the room they offered is in a very poor location, I am better off in the lower category room. The customer service agent tried to request OBC but someone at the (un) help desk denied this. Really, I do not expect a dollar for dollar OBC but you'd think they would want to do something to ease the pain of getting such a bum deal. I will try to tackle this again tomorrow but right now I'm feeling pretty down on NCl and wish we had booked with another line. Will update this post later and hope to have good news that will show NCL has the customers best reasonable interests at heart.

We also like to plan ahead and normally book about a year ahead and we always book directly through Norwegian to get the "low price guarantee". Not sure why we have not learned our lesson yet and waited though. Each year we book and pay right away and as it gets closer they do offer a bunch more to fill the ship so each year we have noticed at about 30 days out it is crazy the difference of what we pay so this time we will wait. For example, we just got back from the Escape and when we booked we got a balcony on 13th floor and it was $3,960 for three of us and we had no perks at all and 30 days before the cruise everyone had the "choose 2" and if we would have booked then it would have been $2,870 with the extra packages! So basically we paid about double after having to pay additional for the beverage package. We did call and see if we could get some kind of onboard credit and we were told we missed out on the "choose 2" and since the price was $1,000.00 less they said the policy is 15% onboard credit so we were able to get $150 OBC... As someone else said though, don't let it ruin your vacation! We still had a great time and it was all worth it no matter what.

I'm wondering what the promos were when you booked. We browsed a cruise in Feb, but hesitated to book when it was pick 2 promos for oceanviews and up, and when were ready to book in april it was only for balconies and up. We are really happy we booked then now because we got a dining package for an inside room (can't get with the May promo) and the bev and dining package for a balcony (can't get both with the May promo). So, while I could probably call and rebook (well outside final payment), this is a huge downgrade for us. Would you have to loose anything you got with booking under the new deal? List others have said, the pricing is somewhat irrelevant, prices are always going to drop after final payment while they are trying to fill the ship and know they don't have to offer current passengers the price drops.

You need to look at it this way... when you booked, you were comfortable with the price you paid. If you had thought it was too much, then you wouldn't have booked. You also likely made your flight arrangements already.

Yes, you could have waited to book "last minute" until now. But then you would have to have gotten last minute air tickets, and the cost of those tickets is probably more than what you paid for yours.

The way you need to look at it is this.... yes, you might have saved money if you had gambled and waited. But part of the price you paid for your cruise includes peace of mind.

Some people have very flexible schedules. Some people can go on vacation at the drop of a hat. They live in Florida or close enough and can just drive so don't have to worry about air tickets. Maybe they are retired or don't have to work. For these people, these "last minute deals" suit them very well. Unfortunately for me, I am not one of those people. I need to have things booked in advance. Of course, I could buy airline tickets for a particular week and just figure that I'll find a cruise that fits the schedule. But when I book, I want a particular cruiseline and ship and itinerary, so I am willing to accept that I might pay a little more for the peace of mind that I am going to get what I want.

Well, I called back again and this time the agent was able to negotiate a win-win situation. I was offered a two category upgrade, a better room choice then originally offered and came away feeling satisfied with the situation. I think that polite persistence paid off, and I ended up with a much better value then I would have gotten with an OBC. Still would have liked a promo, but that's OK, the agent I spoke to listened to my concerns and worked hard to find a resolve that was satisfactory to all.

Sometimes it can be painful if you start looking around after you felt satisfied with your original booking deal. [emoji46]

The same goes with the day you are waiting to board for your cruise.

Do NOT talk to people nearby about cruise fares and what they paid.

Crazy stories sometimes. Like "I booked yesterday and it cost..."

I'm in pack mode. June 17. Can't wait!!

I have no idea what you bought or what you think you deserve but you called it a bum deal. If the original deal was not good you should blame yourself.

It is frustrating to think you booked a great deal and later you find they increased the enhancements to book. Ignore it and plan for a great cruise or cancel and rebook. Only you can decide what to do but don't get down, have a great cruise no matter what deal you received.

We booked with NCl almost a year ago, and also paid out the balance early. We are repeat customers and I have already added about $500 in extras, which are paid for. Last week I note that they are now offering a promo, and see that the base price for our trip dropped $200 pp. I have made 2 calls and spent over an hour, trying to negotiate something that will make this situation better for us. I suggested that they add one of the promo features to our account but they declined. They offered an upgrade but the room they offered is in a very poor location, I am better off in the lower category room. The customer service agent tried to request OBC but someone at the (un) help desk denied this. Really, I do not expect a dollar for dollar OBC but you'd think they would want to do something to ease the pain of getting such a bum deal. I will try to tackle this again tomorrow but right now I'm feeling pretty down on NCl and wish we had booked with another line. Will update this post later and hope to have good news that will show NCL has the customers best reasonable interests at heart.

Last year I bought a new truck for $37,500. 6 months later they were selling the exact same truck for $34,500. I think the dealership owes me 3 grand:rolleyes:

Well, I called back again and this time the agent was able to negotiate a win-win situation. I was offered a two category upgrade, a better room choice then originally offered and came away feeling satisfied with the situation. I think that polite persistence paid off, and I ended up with a much better value then I would have gotten with an OBC. Still would have liked a promo, but that's OK, the agent I spoke to listened to my concerns and worked hard to find a resolve that was satisfactory to all.

So happy that things worked out for you. Sounds like you'll be enjoying your upgraded cabin and your cruise. Good for you!

Last year I bought a new truck for $37,500. 6 months later they were selling the exact same truck for $34,500. I think the dealership owes me 3 grand:rolleyes:

3 G's AND the New Free undercoating deal . ;) :rolleyes:

Edited by biker@sea

This is the exact same policy of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. This is standard industry wide and actually if you go to the Celebrity board you can find a recent thread where the person was 42 days out......same situation.

Celebrity did not offer anything other than the option of upgrading to a suite for a lot more....that is life. If you are not happy book 30 days out...but then you struggle with airfare and are uncertain about whether you can get off of work and there are lots of other issues......

Think of it this way the cost of getting a prime location stateroom is paying the current price when you book your room.

If you wait and book at fire sale prices you get what is left in inventory, clearly not a location you are happy with.

I do not understand how the rules are unreasonable because if the price went up they would not have charged you more.

Will update this post later and hope to have good news that will show NCL has the customers best reasonable interests at heart.

Two questions:

If fares had gone up between the time you booked and today would you willingly agree to a request from NCL that you pay more?

Don't you think that NCL might reasonably be expected to have their "best reasonable interests at heart" rather than yours - considering that they are in business to operate profitably?

Two questions:

If fares had gone up between the time you booked and today would you willingly agree to a request from NCL that you pay more?

Don't you think that NCL might reasonably be expected to have their "best reasonable interests at heart" rather than yours - considering that they are in business to operate profitably?

This is the part that never gets answered. If, by booking early, I'm "entitled" to get a refund because the price goes down after the final payment date, then why isn't NCL entitled to charge me more if the price goes up? We are both bound by the same contract, so if it's not binding on me, then why should it be binding on NCL?

I mean, I get the frustration from seeing the price drops after the final payment date, but that doesn't mean my agreement should be changed. I sure as heck don't want the reverse to bet true. On my last two cruises, the price for my room had gone up between $200 and $400 per person by the time we cruised.