Royal Caribbean DISASTER - Please HELP

I booked a cruise many months ago on RCI. Last week, they called and asked me to pay GRATUITIES upfront and then offered a cabin upgrade. The total was $500.

The next day, RCI had a deal on the same cabin for $3000, no GRATUITIES. I paid $4600.

I called 5 RCI people and the all said essentially this: "You paid your $4600 and there is nothing we can do." So I am paying $1600 including the $500 that they essentially "baited me and then offered a deal to others".

Please let RCI know this is WRONG. I am retired and on a fixed income. I feel very cheated. Please help by letting RCI know

Are you within the final payment window? When is your cruise? If you just paid in advance, they should have price adjusted you. I paid in full when booking but was still able to get a price adjustment on the free gratuities sale. They actually gave me the option of OBC or refund to my credit card, and I took the refund. However, if they called you up looking for payment on gratuities I'm guessing you're within the final window in which they don't allow price adjustments. (Is it 90 days?) That free gratuities sale ended yesterday but a new BOGO60 sale started today. So do check the price again before you call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds like another disgruntled buyer whose cabin price dropped after final payment and is looking for a refund, some sympathy and/or a way to punish big bad RCI for forcing him to buy a cruise with meager retirement income. Never mind that all was well with the original 4100 purchase and the $500 upgrade, but now that the price dropped, not so happy. :rolleyes:

Sounds like another disgruntled buyer whose cabin price dropped after final payment and is looking for a refund, some sympathy and/or a way to punish big bad RCI for forcing him to buy a cruise with meager retirement income. Never mind that all was well with the original 4100 purchase and the $500 upgrade, but now that the price dropped, not so happy. :rolleyes:

I was actually wondering why this would be someone's 1st post here and who are they asking to let RCI know this is wrong? :D Is the OP wanting us to call RCI on his behalf? Sorry.....

This is why I've started purchasing cruises after the 45 day mark. Plus I'm usually a solo cruiser and the prices are just better. I know I know everyone can't do it. Once I purchase I don't go back and price it. That would drive me crazy!!!!:D

I booked a cruise many months ago on RCI. Last week, they called and asked me to pay GRATUITIES upfront and then offered a cabin upgrade. The total was $500.

The next day, RCI had a deal on the same cabin for $3000, no GRATUITIES. I paid $4600.

I called 5 RCI people and the all said essentially this: "You paid your $4600 and there is nothing we can do." So I am paying $1600 including the $500 that they essentially "baited me and then offered a deal to others".

Please let RCI know this is WRONG. I am retired and on a fixed income. I feel very cheated. Please help by letting RCI know

Why did the cruise line call you to pay gratuities? Have never heard of that ever happening. What ship are you sailing? Are you after final payment? Some of this doesn't add up.

This !!!!

And of Course we won´t see the OP back, but this thread will go for several hundred Posts.:D

It does seem strange that RCL would ring and ask somebody to pay the gratuities.

It is also the CP's first post and s/he does not seem to be in hurry to come back and give more information.

I'm curious to know more.......

In order to help, I'll need your name, address, phone number, booking number, credit card number, user name and password. I'll have it resolved for you in less than 24 hours. ;)

Edited by StolidCruiser

If they paid $500 to upgrade and a day later the price on the upgrade dropped, shouldn't that fall under RCCL 48 hour price guarantee? They should at least get their $500 back. Although it is strange that they got a call to begin with.

Edited by gaylemh

The OP's definition of disaster is far different from mine. Rates change all the time - it's called supply and demand. And playing the pity card that they are on a fixed income? Come on - they're going on a cruise and obviously in a suite or higher if the rate is $4600. Unbelievable.

It does seem strange that RCL would ring and ask somebody to pay the gratuities.

We only have one version of the story. Upsell calls are not uncommon (that's what the OP got) and somewhere in there there may have been talk to prepaying the grats. If the grats were part of the upsell and $500, the cabin price increase itself was fairly small - the reason the OP went for it. The only issue here is the price drop, which no one likes - especially to the tune of 1600. All of this of course is some story the OP posted - we have no idea what the facts are and as someone mentioned we are unlikely to get the the rest of it. No amount of explanation or rationalization will make the OP feel any better about missing out on that cabin price drop.

BTW, have noticed that for the past 3+ weeks, the GGG flier offers (price drops) are all for sailings at least 30 days away - no more close to sailing date price drops.

If they paid $500 to upgrade and a day later the price on the upgrade dropped, shouldn't that fall under RCCL 48 hour price guarantee? They should at least get their $500 back. Although it is strange that they got a call to begin with.

It was an upsell call (from the numbers I'd guess JS to GS) - not unusual. The price guarantee is only for the original booking which according to the OP was months ago.

Unfortunately the rate guarantee only works 48 hours from the original booking date. Upgrades definitely do not qualify.

The OP's definition of disaster is far different from mine.

I would have to agree. I opened the thread thinking a ship had sunk.

Per Merriam-Webster -

Simple Definition of disaster

• : something (such as a flood, tornado, fire, plane crash, etc.) that happens suddenly and causes much suffering or loss to many people
  • : something that has a very bad effect or result
  • : a complete or terrible failure

Drama, drama, drama....

I agree not even close to a disaster.

My guess on the gratuities is that the OP either got a call from a travel agent tehy booked through, or got an email from RCI about gratuties going up on May 1 and prepaying before then locks in the lower price.

Now when/how the upgrade is involved is anyone's guess.

and, yep, it stinks when there is a price drop after final payment--but it happens (on cruises and most flights). The best hting to do is book at a price you are comfortable with and then try not to get worked up about any price drop afterwards (but you can always look to see if you could upgrade for free or minimal extra when prices drop).

I bet a Royal Suite on Harmony's Transatlantic that the OP won't reply or give us updates.

I am considering taking this bet. I like to gamble so let's hash out the terms...if OP posts again you owe me a RS if he doesn't I owe you a RS, what is deadline? Do thread locks count?

Let's discuss.

Please let RCI know this is WRONG.

I am retired and on a fixed income. I feel very cheated. Please help by letting RCI know

You knew how much you were paying when you authorized the charge. I don't see how you being on a fixed income has anything to do with this. If you can't afford to pay the price, don't.