Should Carnival bring back tablecloths each night?

Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?  

598 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival bring back tablecloths for each night in the Main Dining Room?

• YES!
    • NO!
    • Don't care...

Yes that's what I said. Not sure why it was repeated for me.

Your response made it sound as if it is rare to be on a table. When I said table it was synonymous with platform/serving station, and they do it every cruise. I've never seen it on a guests table.

Your response made it sound as if it is rare to be on a table. When I said table it was synonymous with platform/serving station, and they do it every cruise. I've never seen it on a guests table.

I've never seen anyone eat off a platform/ service station, which is why I would never call it a table.

I've never seen anyone eat off a platform/ service station, which is why I would never call it a table.

Vote YES if you think a serving platform IS a table.

Vote NO if you think a serving platform IS NOT a table.

Vote DON'T CARE if you want to extend this thread by 17 pages.

x

Edited by Bob NC
  • Haha 1

Well I watched the video which really made me cringe.

Its bad enough these guys don't get paid properly, but doing, tricks, having their bellies rubbed while begging for tips (which is that this is for,) really is quite sad.

Still im not shocked someone in particular enjoyed it. I wonder if anyone fires their guns in the air and shouting yee haw!

Not kidding. This is a staple of Carnival MDR's. It can be fun to experience; if you aren't waiting for food or don't see your food sitting at a service station getting cold.

Elegant night will be a solid mixture of everything. Technically speaking it is the only night shorts are NOT permitted in the MDR, but experience says you will see a mixture; some dressed up, some not. It's not a requirement to dress up. There are more photo setups on elegant night.

Thanks for the clips.... I think !! Lol

Photo setups? Don't tell.... A money making exercise to take your photo and pay for it? I presume by setups you mean with different back drops? Or somethings.thanks for sharing BTW.... Appreciated.

Photo setups? Don't tell.... A money making exercise to take your photo and pay for it? I presume by setups you mean with different back drops? Or somethings.thanks for sharing BTW.... Appreciated.

Yes. No different than any other cruise line really. there are always photo opportunities every night of a cruise, there just tends to be MORE on elegant night. If you don't want them, just walk right past. totally optional. You can see your photos in the photo gallery and decide if you want to purchase or not.

Vote DON'T CARE if you want to extend this thread by 17 pages.

There's a lot of miles left in this thread. Let's do that. But I'm only on page 2. 17 more pages would require 3400 more posts. Can we do it? I think we can!! :D

Well I watched the video which really made me cringe.

Its bad enough these guys don't get paid properly, but doing, tricks, having their bellies rubbed while begging for tips (which is that this is for,) really is quite sad.

Still im not shocked someone in particular enjoyed it. I wonder if anyone fires their guns in the air and shouting yee haw!

I have never seen one waiter accept tips while dancing - even when I was waving a dollar bill in the air. Hey, some of those guys got the moves [emoji6]! It's all in good fun. Even Celebrity does it. Not as often, but at the very least the last night.

I have never seen one waiter accept tips while dancing - even when I was waving a dollar bill in the air. Hey, some of those guys got the moves [emoji6]! It's all in good fun. Even Celebrity does it. Not as often, but at the very least the last night.

Haha... I can just picture it now... Punters pushing handfuls of dollars down the front of their parts! Lol

Well I've learnt something new.... And I would have to say this is very much Taylored for the US market. I don't think this would happen on a European ship.... Or anyone know differently? Very curious now!

Thanks for the info LMaxwell re photos. Yes I can see the demand as feasible and desirable. On our last trip we religiously took full length photos in the suite (using tripod and timer) and again at the bar before dinner. Ours were free though! Lol.... I presume there are fun backdrops in play on these photos? I tend not to get involved in that, but who knows!

the placemats John put a photo of would work. I think something is needed. the condensation from the glasses sliding on the tables, and having to put your silverware on the table, which is unlike doing it at home, is something that needs work. No tablecloths, mats would work fine.

However, the pics of the ones above with advertisements on it, are very tacky, for what is considered or used to be considered a formal dining room.

No thanks...;)

the placemats John put a photo of would work. I think something is needed. the condensation from the glasses sliding on the tables, and having to put your silverware on the table, which is unlike doing it at home, is something that needs work. No tablecloths, mats would work fine.

However, the pics of the ones above with advertisements on it, are very tacky, for what is considered or used to be considered a formal dining room.

No thanks...;)

But what if the revenue generated offset future cutbacks? Surely a few ads on a placemat is preferably to cafeteria-style dining in the Main Dining Room?

No thanks...;)

Agree. Something for the nice trip main cruise restaurant. Separate it from Carnival's super casual Lido buffet.

Recently did some Youtube tours of Ships and Vegas hotels and restaurants.

A lot of modern mainstream ship dining rooms and Vegas restaurants do still use tablecloths .....and many if not.... use place mats. They should be washed well and I really think tablecloths may be cheaper in the end for lasting....lol...oh it all goes in circles.

Yes. No different than any other cruise line really. there are always photo opportunities every night of a cruise, there just tends to be MORE on elegant night. If you don't want them, just walk right past. totally optional. You can see your photos in the photo gallery and decide if you want to purchase or not.

I would prefer NOT having my pic taken without my permission in the first place. ijs.

I would prefer NOT having my pic taken without my permission in the first place. ijs.

If you don't want to have your picture taken, you don't have to. they don't force you to pose for any photo - just a quick, "no thank you" as you board, debark at ports and occasionally in the dining room. The "photo set ups" you just walk right by, no need to stop if you're not interested.

No thanks...;)

Condensation on glasses can be dealt with using coasters or cocktail napkins. ;)

The problem with silverware directly on the table of a mass market cruise ship is there are thousands of people using those dining room tables every year. :eek:

And if previous posts are correct, fewer staff (due to cutbacks)may not be able to thoroughly disinfect the tabletops between passengers. Which is where asking for an extra napkin comes in: Use one as a place mat and one for the lap. :)

I got the impression les37b meant larger tips for servers at the end of the cruise, not then and there during the dancing.

I wish servers dancing on tables would stop all together. It is as if we have to tolerate the "show" if we want to eat. But I surmise one of the reasons for that "show" is to boost crew morale (:confused:). After all, they have a captive audience.

Tell you what: Serve the food hot, serve the food in an expeditious manner and THEN dance if you want. imo, ijs :)