Europe Clothes for Plus Size Women

rlkubi

Don't worry about looking like a tourist...you are one! And, since only "tourists" go to the tourist spots....well, the game is over! Just wear what you normally do...be comfortable and have fun!

Don't worry about looking like a tourist...you are one! And, since only "tourists" go to the tourist spots....well, the game is over! Just wear what you normally do...be comfortable and have fun!

Not accurate.

In places like Rome and Florence, the "tourist" spots ARE in the middle of the cities where locals are out and about and mix with the tourists. Don't dress like you are doing a Caribbean cruise - leave the tropical sundress and shorts at home. If you want to be always ready to enter a church or mosque that you run into and looks interesting, dress respectfully. Have your knees, shoulders, and décolletage covered. I hate capris - I have never seen anyone but a model look good in them, but if you like them, take them. Use a neutral color scheme and add just a couple of bright shirts or scarves for that pop of color.

My scheme has been jeans or khakis (or a pair of black pants, depending on the season and my mood) with my unconstructed blue blazer. Add different colored Tshirts to change things up - any can go with any. I carry my Little Black Tshirt Dress so I am ready to go out anywhere if needed.

And you would know this.....how? :rolleyes:

There are plenty of places in central Rome where you may find yourself walking next to a senator or dining at a table beside a local Roman-Jewish family in the Ghetto, out celebrating a birthday.

Sure, if you "only" go to the Colosseum, you will be surrounded by tourists. But if you even were to just walk AROUND the Colosseum, you'd find yourself in areas where locals hang out, including a lovely park overlooking the Colosseum (Parco del Colle Oppio). Guess what -- the locals have to get there somehow, so they ACTUALLY WALK ON THE SAME SIDEWALKS AND AREAS AS THE TOURISTS!!! Imagine that!!

Same holds true for most any area one would travel in Europe. :cool:

Jeans or khakis, shirt, jacket or cardigan and a scarf is a good outfit. Buy a scarf on the street, can be had for €10 or 3/€20.

DD lives in Rome in the hills above Trastevere, up on the Janiculum. The locals around her wear 'American' clothes. Almost always with some sort of jacket and scarf. The younger ones wear sneakers. The older will wear some sort of 'sensible' shoe.

I'm in the same demographic as you. I've been mistaken for Italian, by Italians, several times, lol. It's very odd because I have allowed my hair to 'age naturally'. It's rare to see an Italian woman with grey hair.

Rome has been a tourist city for at least 2000 years. Everybody sticks out.

Edited by SadieN

I hate to say it but your plus sizeness will be a give away. Not that all Italians are super thin but even the widows dressed in black only carry an extra 10-20 pounds in their 60's and 70's.

We lived on Monte Mario and my daily street market was on Via Julius Cesare near the Vatican. My height marked me as North American compared to the average local and those were the middle class housewives, disabled WW2 vwterans (this ws in the mid to late '80's and the few young working men and women in the area who both shopped during an early lunch for that night's dinner but was often munching on a rosette sandich made from the previous day's trip. My husband, the blondish dude, was often mistaken for Italian but me with my almost black hair and easy tan rarely was.

Dark rinse denim trousers and looser but not baggy blouses or as the poster above suggsted a T and a jacket works well as do long or 3/4 sleeve sweaters with a scarf. Definitely skip shorts and I'd skip the capris too unless you are also heading to a beach town like Livorno and plan on not going on to Florence or Pisa.

And drinking cappacinos after noon is a dead give away that you are not Italian as is eating a salad before the main course at dinner (vinegar is said to ruin the taste buds or any further courses).

So shorts are definitely out? What about skorts? We will be there mid June and I'm menopausal LOL. We will also be in Greece and Turkey which will be very hot.

So shorts are definitely out? What about skorts? We will be there mid June and I'm menopausal LOL. We will also be in Greece and Turkey which will be very hot.

Shorts are ok (they do scream tourist, as do capris and skorts). But you'll need something to cover your knees when visiting churches etc.

How about dresses/skirts worn with longer legged cotton underwear to prevent rubbing? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1767184

Bring a small, handheld fan and some sort of cooling cloth. Drink lots of water.

European air conditioning is almost non-existent. In Rome I can think of only two buildings that have air conditioning. The Capitoline Museum and the Ara Paci.

Edited by SadieN

Having your arms and legs covered in hot sun is often actually cooler than having them exposed. Wear linens and lightweight woven cottons -- or if you are more inclined, look into some of the newer technology wicking fabrics in sportier clothing. (I think Columbia has some plus-size clothing for women, as one example.)

Shorts and skorts definitely would not be worn by most locals in cities. At resorts (e.g., places like Mykonos, Santorini), they are perfectly fine.

Edited by cruisemom42

Well I lived in Germany for three years Belgium for 1 year and Italy for three. Here's what I noticed. British and Americans stand out... Reason 1 language unless you do not talk reason 2 shoes...this more American than British but you would be surprised how different shoes look. Reason 3 American dress more casually than Europeans ...i.e. Spend less but buy more so quality isn't always there reason 4 as a tourist you will more than likely stand out because you will be looking around trying to see and enjoy everything and that's ok just my advice while traveling in Europe is be smart especially if you are carrying a bag/purse. Keep it close to your body i.e. Cross body is best keep it zipped up completely never have a wallet in back pocket(for guys) Dress nicely but not uncomfortable. Never saw Europeans in shorts except when playing sports or working out. Women especially dress nice. Pants or skirt with nice top. Cardigan if it's chilly, tasteful jewelry if any and scarves, scarves are a popular accessory. While I saw someone say that being plus size will get you noticed anyway not sure I agree I did see plus size in Italy especially older ladies but they still dressed nice..mostly in black. One thing is also noticed particularly in Italy was women wore darker colors like black red greys, blues and men wore the pastels. Don't think I ever saw an Italian women in pastel ever. They are also in full makeup when out and about. With that said I will say I never wore shorts when going around town, usually pants and nice top and never had any issues even if our heights gave us away as not local

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I lived in Portugal three years and agree with much that JMcKay331 above is saying. It is funny to me now, but a young Portuguese guide told my husband and me that he could always spot American tourists by their shoes! It made me feel very self conscious at the time.

I also agree about the dark colors. I'd add that large, bright prints weren't too common when I lived in Portugal. I's also agree about weight and height. I couldn't buy women's clothes in Portugal. They were just too small. I was 5'5", weighed 160 and was pretty big by the standards of the time. Being a light natural blonde didn't help blend in either.

Even when I travel today I don't try to not look like a tourist. There are many dead giveaways and subtle hints that one is not a native of the country one is visiting. Even subtle things such as mannerisms can give away your origin. And the biggest giveaway of all is language.

Ok I'm so sorry but what do you mean by tech fabrics? As I said I'm an 18W so large. And menopausal and I know Greece and Turkey will be very hot. I also don't own anything but pastels because I'm a blonde and very light complected.

Thanks for all your help!

I'm not sure what your tastes are but I like tunics and leggings. I also wear a lot of sundresses. I'm leaving for Paris in a week and since it will likely be cold, I packed jeans, a fitted tee, and a cardigan, I plan on wearing a scarf and my Toms shoes. My jeans are Lees Trouser jeans. They have a flare to them and are stretchy. I think they go up to a size 22 or 24.

Ok I'm so sorry but what do you mean by tech fabrics? As I said I'm an 18W so large. And menopausal and I know Greece and Turkey will be very hot. I also don't own anything but pastels because I'm a blonde and very light complected.

Tech fabrics are athletic fabrics. They wick moisture away from the body. Keeping you cooler. They also wash and dry quickly.

Some athletic clothes look like you're going on a run. Many are not. You're a tourist, going to tourist places. You're going to stick out.

The advice about a cross body bag is spot on. Lots of thefts are Crimes of Opportunity.

What do you wear at home on the hottest days of the year?

Edited by SadieN

Maybe check out Chico's for some ankle pants? If you normally buy petite due to height get the regular length and in the cotton mixes not Travelers. Their size scale runs from 000-4 so just check their chart. You will fit in their clothes. Great sales at the moment. Don't worry too much about being a tourist. We both spoke Italian and had Italian wardrobes including shoes and occasionally got pegged in the least likely places. But try maybe adding navy pants to some of your pastels and yes, take along a longer skort or, better, a breezy skirt or 2 for the hot days. In Rome even American female diplomats skip wearing stockings in the summer and switch to linen clothing. Being wrinkly was a status symbol there because it meant your linen was real. Also check out Travelsmith dot com. Then mix your pastels on top and take along a very thin dark cardigan for churches and mosques. Take shorts or capris soley for the ship uless you are doing beach excursions. The vast majority of the Turkish people are very secular and the women dress much as we do but it is best at this time to be more conservative and wear longer flowy skirts or lightweight pants.

The tech fabrics you want will say "wicking" and "breathable" in the write up. I think the last link was mainly what we used in Costa Rica for sun protection. Yes, wear heavy sunscreen if you are fair and add a cute hat if you want. Most street markets have an small area of vendors that sell undies, souveniers and straw bags and umbrellas along side all that food. Drink a lot of water. Yes, the bottles may say tourist but if you haven't experienced that sun beating down on a lot of white marble before you need to stay hydrated. Also try to eat lighter meals during the day and add a snack as needed. It is amazing how fast even a very fit person can feel faint in that heat. That is why so many eat out during the summer at night. The evening cools off and outside tables fill fast because most homes do not have a/c. And at least in Rome many women water their white wine even in restaurants with still bottled water.

I have traveled as a plus size woman all my adult life. I have not been particularly bothered by being American tourist sort -- usually very well treated with friendly behaviors and great helpfulness -- as Americans we should be so good to our tourists. I travel about 90 days a year for cruises and land trips. I spend much time on what I am going to wear (and my kids tease me unmercifully ) but the fact is that I can't buy clothes in most countries that will fit me so I must bring it. Run in panty hose -- I don't know which stores have my size -- if my size is even there so I tend to take extras of must have items.

I usually take 2 pair of black cotton knit (Suprema) pants, 2 white cotton knit pants, one khaki dress pant, one navy blue cotton knit pants. I buy the pants at Catherine's. These pants I like because they fit great, wear great, have pockets in side seams, don't bind because of the blend with spandex.

Shirts-- I like suprema fitted shells with a blouse over it. Solid colors -- graphic or bold prints get boring in the pictures -- oh she has that cat shirt on again. Mix it up so have many different looks (2 colored short sleeve blouses, 2 shells, 2 3/4 sleeve print blouses, 4 t-shirts solid) 1 sweater, 1 foldable hooded rain jacket/windbreaker. Swim suit, one or two pairs over the knee short pants (pedal pushers? I don't do shorts now because of support hose but sometimes want to go to beach or by pool etc). One dress that can be used for daywear/over swimsuit/emergency bathrobe. One maxi skirt in light weight material. This is the basic list off top of my head. I will come back if you would like evening wear suggestions. Add some things/subtract some. Basically a uniform -- all pieces go together. Black and white is my favorite with bright pinks/reds/yellows as color pops. Cool, clean, comfortable and confident. I've been to 76 countries and never felt "stared" at despite the size I am (and will likely stay!)

Go with what you like but avoid shorts and skorts in cities. Skirts or sundresses are better and cooler. I prefer light cotton and linen to the new tech fabrics. They dry faster but they also smell faster.

I lived in Portugal three years and agree with much that JMcKay331 above is saying. It is funny to me now, but a young Portuguese guide told my husband and me that he could always spot American tourists by their shoes! It made me feel very self conscious at the time.

Even when I travel today I don't try to not look like a tourist. There are many dead giveaways and subtle hints that one is not a native of the country one is visiting. Even subtle things such as mannerisms can give away your origin. And the biggest giveaway of all is language.

Often I am walking around by myself, so language isn't a giveaway by itself (not until I choose to say something).

A fair amount of the time I am mistaken for a German. Once I asked someone why they guessed that, and they said shoes. (I tend to wear leather shoes, not sports/running type shoes.)

All, I'm a late 50's plus size woman. Looking for ideas for travel to Europe. I don't want to scream "American" while I'm over there. Any ideas would help. Thanks!

However else you dress, don't wear a baseball cap - ever!!!:)

Often I am walking around by myself, so language isn't a giveaway by itself (not until I choose to say something).

A fair amount of the time I am mistaken for a German. Once I asked someone why they guessed that, and they said shoes. (I tend to wear leather shoes, not sports/running type shoes.)

I'm mistaken for an Italian woman once in awhile. Part of it is that I have an Italian last name (a legacy from my ex's family from the Naples area). The other part is that I travel solo. And, then I don't dress like a tourist - no shorts, no skorts, no cute sundresses when I'm in Europe - I save that for the Caribbean. It causes some fun moments when the Front Desk Agent at a hotel starts to welcome me in Italian!! I've had some small groups of Americans (a family and then a couple of couples) stop me and ask me if I speak English so they can ask a question or ask for directions.

Well, I'm blonde and blue eyed so they won't confuse me. I'm going to stick out no matter what I wear.

You don't think there are blonde, light-eyed Europeans? There are a good number of them, even in Italy -- more common in Northern Italy but some also in the South. (And more in Greece.)