Yankee Stadium Pre cruise

jmk22

We want to take in a game at Yankee Stadium the night before our cruise. Is it better to stay in Lower Manhattan and take the subway to the game or to stay closer to the stadium and take a taxi to cruise terminal? Not sure about areas in Bronx or Upper Manhattan. Any suggestions as to hotels? Thanks in advance.

Subway to and from the Stadium from Manhattan is easy, easier than finding a taxi after the game. And there aren't a whole lot of nice hotels near the stadium in the Bronx.

The #4 Train and the B & D Trains go right to the stadium.

4 goes from Grand Central and up the East side. B & D go more on the West Side

"Lower Manhattan" is the area of Wall Street, City Hall, World Trade Center. You catch the ferry to Statue of Liberty there. "Midtown" is where Empire State Building, Times Square, Grand Central Station, but Rockefeller Center is located, also the passenger ship terminal. Midtown is divided into east and west. If you want to look for a hotel close to the pier look at Midtown west. If you want Grand Central Station look at Midtown East.

Grew up in the Bronx & still got family connections - there are absolutely no hotels, tourist class or better, worth booking in the borough (county) that I know of & care to recommend or mention (not just near YS) for out-of-town visitors.

Just shop around & book the hotel without worrying about access to/from Yankee Stadium - late night after the game, plenty of folks heading home on the subways & safe to ride, whether it's East Side or Lower Manhattan, you can easily transfer to a different subway line as necessary. For a weekend, you should find decent hotel rates (unless it's a holiday) for Wall Street/Financial Districts, just be careful with those on the Lower East Side/Chinatown area - most are fine but a few aren't spotlessly clean as franchisee-owned & operated (and, overpriced, IMO.)

Edited by mking8288

You can stay pretty much anywhere in Manhattan and be within a reasonably easy subway ride of Yankee Stadium, and I would for sure take the subway.

If your cruise leaves from Cape Liberty, you could stay in Jersey City and it's still not hard, although it takes a little longer. Just change between the B/D subway and PATH at 33rd/34th St (they're different parts of the same station).

If you're taking the B/D to a weeknight game, just be aware of their evening peak schedules -- it's all explained here.

Subway is the way to go, you can also take Metro North from Grand Central Terminal to their Yankee Stadium stop across the street. At the end of the games extra subway trains are added to the D and the 4 some will even run express back to Manhattan and even Brooklyn.

I strongly recommend you DO NOT hail a cab to return from Yankee Stadium as there are a lot of gypsy or illegal cabs when the game ends and the "sponsored" cab service by the Yankees is very expensive.

On side note the Yankees have stopped taking electronic tickets so if you by from a re-seller like Stubhub you can no longer print at home your tickets.

• 1 year later...
You can stay pretty much anywhere in Manhattan and be within a reasonably easy subway ride of Yankee Stadium, and I would for sure take the subway.

If your cruise leaves from Cape Liberty, you could stay in Jersey City and it's still not hard, although it takes a little longer. Just change between the B/D subway and PATH at 33rd/34th St (they're different parts of the same station).

If you're taking the B/D to a weeknight game, just be aware of their evening peak schedules -- it's all explained here.

Hi! Want to do see the Yankees this summer and cruise with Celebrity out of Port Liberty. Can you give more specific hotels (in NJ) and directions to the stadium? Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! Want to do see the Yankees this summer and cruise with Celebrity out of Port Liberty. Can you give more specific hotels (in NJ) and directions to the stadium? Any help is appreciated!

What exact dates do you need a hotel? Hotel budget? Number of people? Will you have a car (need a Park/sleep/cruise?) or are you flying into Newark Airport?

What exact dates do you need a hotel? Hotel budget? Number of people? Will you have a car (need a Park/sleep/cruise?) or are you flying into Newark Airport?

Was just reading some of your replies on another topic. thank you for taking the time to try to answer my questions. I know specifics help you help me. There will be two of us. We haven’t picked a cruise yet. Still contemplating Florida or Cape Liberty. Southwest air not out for August so were just trying to see if a Yankees game was feasible if staying in NJ with public transportation. Hotel budget is 2-300 whatever makes the most sense to see a game and cruise!

Was just reading some of your replies on another topic. thank you for taking the time to try to answer my questions. I know specifics help you help me. There will be two of us. We haven’t picked a cruise yet. Still contemplating Florida or Cape Liberty. Southwest air not out for August so were just trying to see if a Yankees game was feasible if staying in NJ with public transportation. Hotel budget is 2-300 whatever makes the most sense to see a game and cruise!

High level answer of "Yes" was given by MarlboroBell. Once you get a date we can help with hotels. Newark Penn Station Hilton is most likely to fit your budget regardless of exact date and offers a free airport shuttle. NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station $5.25/pp and $2.75/pp NY subway.