CD John Blair

We thought he and his wife are very well suited for of alaskan cruise last summer. I don't know how well he'd work with a Caribbean crowd though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

John and his wife Katrina work very hard to ensure people have a great time, they are highly visual around the ship. Yes their style is unique and for some Europeans a little " All American, smiley smiley ". But once you understand that this is their way and it is well intended, it is easy to appreciate the effort they put into every task they undertake. We would be happy to have them on any ship we might sail on.

Very positive experience on our recent Grandeur cruise with John and Katrina.

I had never seen a Welcome Aboard show that gave the ship's dancers the night off. John did all the heavy lifting, doing the entire show with song and comedy, performed by one of the entertainers.

Katrina may be the hardest working Activities Director in the fleet. She truly appreciates Cruise Critic folks and brought a lot of energy to our Meet & Mingle. :)

Edited by Philly Steve

My impression of John and Katrina is they are very diligent about giving the guests a positive experience. One thing that stands out in my experience is I was doing a live thread on the Enchantment. Someone asked a question that I relayed to John at the Meet and Mingle. He had no idea of what I was talking about but found me in the hallway a few days later with the proper information. I think that's going above the call of duty.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

We had John and Katrina on the Jewel last year, October. From what I saw of them, I thought they were both quite personable, friendly and efficient in their jobs.

John reminds me of the fictional CD, Gil Godwyn, in the movie Out To Sea - without all the anger at passengers Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. :D

He and his wife are a team as CD's. They were, as clarea says, competent. He does a killer Neil Diamond tribute show, if you are so interested. :)

Have to agree it about killed me to sit through it. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by looking4info

My all time least favorite cruise director.

I will definitely agree with that. Didn't find him the least bit funny or entertaining. But a cruise director does not make or break a cruise for me.

I definitely enjoy the FUNNY FUNNY ones, like Graham Seymour and Richard Spacey (when he used to be on RCI ships) but I tend to prefer the classy, mildly funny ones. John Blair, Clo O'Conner and Julie V. from NCL come to mind. John and his wife Katrina make a great team, imo. Had them on Grandeur in the Caribbean a few years ago. Would love to cruise with them again.

Meh. I will actively avoid a ship he is on if I have other options. I saw him browbeat the older man in the Love and Marriage show to change his answer and then the old got it wrong. If the older man had kept his original answer she would have been right. Blair's response was "oh, sorry, that's not what he said". I also hate his Quest as every person participating was a winner. There were four first place teams! I hate his proselytizing and the constant reminders that on Sunday he and his wife would be hosting a church service. And I hated his welcome aboard show as he is so impressed with himself that it runs overlong. This is a man that never met a mirror that he didn't like.

Yes, he and his wife are nice people. But I hate their style as CD and AD.

I've had him twice.

Once on the Grandeur in 2010. Second time was more recently, maybe on the Brilliance or Enchantment last year? I can't remember which ship.

My first experience with him was not great. I was not a fan and found him rather annoying and didn't enjoy his fascination with himself.

My second experience was much better. He really toned it down and seemed more down to earth. He was also incredibly nice to us, helping us with our son and stroller while getting on to a tender. I wasn't sure if he was the same person as years before, lol.

Edit- we had him on the Jewel about 7 months ago, haha. So much for my memory these days.

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

We have cruised with John and Katrina and consider them the ABSOLUTE BEST cruise director and activities manager team in the fleet.

Their skills, experience, dedication, and passion for providing for their guests the best cruise possible is unmatched.

They are not wild and crazy ... They are classy, visible, and approachable.

Edited by beachnative

We have cruised with John and Katrina and consider them the ABSOLUTE BEST cruise director and activities manager team in the fleet.

Their skills, experience, dedication, and passion for providing for their guests the best cruise possible is unmatched.

They are not wild and crazy ... They are classy, visible, and approachable.

I have personally not sailed with John and Katrina. However what I think is very important in your reply is "Their........dedication and passion for providing their guests the best cruise possible is unmatched".

Every CD and AM has different talents and skills; they all come with different experiences, but I hope that they all are dedicated and passionate in their job, because that his the best way for their guests (not calling them cruisers) to have the best cruise possible and return to a Royal sailing.

I know I have had some that fit who fit that description, and they were not named John and Katrina Blair -- but your point is well taken.

• 2 months later...

I find them to be terribly BORING. I see Katrina all over the ship, but John, rarely. Even talked to a member of the CD staff, and he agreed... as a member of the CD staff, even he rarely sees John. I could see them being popular with an OLDER crowd, as they are quite safe. Quest, under John's guidance, is a snoozefest. I actually try to avoid sailings they are on.