So excited! First Cruise for us all, Feedback/Suggestions?

4olivers

Ages 8-68 (4 Boys in tow, 8,11,15,16) nana's dream trip so it's Nana and her 2 families of 4.

We fly into Anchorage arriving 6:30 pm on Tuesday 7/12

Suggestions for a great place to eat dinner in Anchorage?

Next morning off to McKinley where we will do a 19 mile river raft excursion. (Feedback/suggestions?)

Next day we head to Denali where we will do an ATV excursion.

Friday we are set for natural history walking tour??

Sat we head to Whittier to board the ship for our first cruise!

We currently have 2 excursions per port booked, white pass and dog sledding in Skagway

Seaplane and whale watching in Juneau

Lumberjack and short boat tour in Ketchikan

We end in Vancouver on Saturday the 23rd, my hubbys bday!

Any tips, suggestions, don't do, must do feedback is welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My main suggestion would be...you're trying to pack too much into your day. I got exhausted just reading it!!

Maybe cut back to one excursion per day. You need some time to just be.

It's a vacation. Relax.

If the excursions while on the cruise are private excursions, i.e. not through the ship. Make sure there's enough time to get back to the ship. They will leave without you, if you're not back on time.

I looked at that schedule and thought something akin to "OH my!" That's a lot of excursions. Yes, I get that it is a once in a lifetime trip, but wow! Your schedule is packed. Only you can decide if it is too much, but it sure is a lot.

I too was worried about the 2 per day??? all excursions are through the ship and times all work out, we have about 2-3 hrs at each port outside of our booked excursions.

Hi, 4olivers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. Our love of cruising started similarly. My mom and dad (nana and pappy) started taking both my family of four and my brother's family of five on cruises beginning with the Big Red Boat in 1995. We haven't stopped. Sadly, my mom and dad can't go anymore, but their cruise passion is a gift that they gave us.

We haven't been to Alaska yet, so I will just give you some observations and thoughts as they related to our combined families.

It was nice to spend time together, but after our first cruise, we started doing excursions as a smaller family unit. It was nice to tailor these times for 'specific' interests and as a 'timeout' from the bigger family unit.

My other comment is that two excursions per each port may be a bit ambitious. I suggest leaving some time for spontaneity. It's also nice to spend some time with the locals in every port.

In any event, do what works for you and then you will have a better idea of cruise life with every cruise you take!

One thing most will agree with is that there is nothing better than planning your first cruise and then the enjoyment of every new thing that you experience. I kind of envy you...until my next 'first' cruise in a couple of months!!

Finally, don't forget to relax.

Safe Journeys, Paul

Ages 8-68 (4 Boys in tow, 8,11,15,16) nana's dream trip so it's Nana and her 2 families of 4.

Next morning off to McKinley where we will do a 19 mile river raft excursion. (Feedback/suggestions?)

We currently have 2 excursions per port booked, white pass and dog sledding in Skagway

I also did Alaska as my first cruise and like you packed in a heavy excursion schedule on the basis that Alaska is along way away and I needed to do everything as I would probably not make it back again. It was amazing but exhausting and I was too tired to take advantage of the ship's offerings as I had to be early to bed to get up early for the next day's activities.

So, if I could give you one piece of advice it would be to perhaps do a little less on the excursion front whilst on the cruise. On the landtour, go for it as the best of everything in Alaska is outdoors. There's nothing that isn't great but I particularly enjoyed the ATV, heli ride to see Denali Peak, tour into Denali national park and the glass topped train ride.

IMHO the best dinner in Anchorage is the Glacier Brewhouse, but leave yourself plenty of time and book as they are very busy.

On the cruise FWIW a small boat whale watching trip is a must, misty fjords are beautiful, 4wd tour (self drive) are fun, and I remember a boatplane ride on an old de havilland to land next to a glacier for a lodge salmon BBQ lunch and outside trek which was very enjoyable.

If you do decide to do it all this time around, it of course means you have to go back and see Alaska to mooch around the port towns at a more sedate pace another time. That was my excuse, anyway :D

I Agee with everyone that you may be overly ambitious with all of the excursions . The kids can get really irritable when they get tired, heck, I am 68 and I get cranky when I am tired. The excursions should be more quality over quantity. Also, read about over packing and what to and not to pack. Most every seasoned traveler will tell they started packing a lot more and realized they didn't wear a lot of what they packed. Pack for 5 days and use the washing machines on the ship. I am sure your family will have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will submit a ditto for the brew house in anchorage it's great. I wish you luck with managing two excursions per port that is ambitious and you will probably need a vacation after your vacation. But if your like me and the ports are the big draw then go for it. Even with that I don't think I have ever tried two excursions per port or even two tours on the same day for a land based vacation. Alaska is beautiful in the summertime so enjoy yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

While looking at the excursions you have planned, I think you can do it. Most of the excursions are not high energy where everyone would be exhausted. When we travel we are usually on the go from sun up to sun down. You will definitely sleep well at night. Airplane rides aren't going to wear you out if you know what I mean. Lumberjack show? Not exhausting. You will have a fantastic trip.

*Bring layered clothing. It can be warm or get cool in Alaska. Be prepared for rain, fog, sun, just about anything. Don't over pack your formal and evening clothes. It is perfectly ok to wear outfits more then once. Lay everything out, then remove items. If you wear glasses, even sunglasses, bring along 'crokies' to hold them on, especially during boat trips.

*I'm thinking you are on the Coral Princess, correct? Consider booking the Bayou Cafe or Sabatini's for the family. Reservations are suggested. Visit the restaurant on boarding day to scope out and book if you like what you hear. The restaurants are next to each other on deck 7. These restaurants can fill up.

*I would probably cut back some of the double tours. There is lots to do in the evening on the ship, and you probably will get very tired, especially those at a more advanced age. For example Skagway is a walkable town, maybe only one tour and then walk around the town. Similar in Ketchikan.

* There will be a Princess Patter in your cabin when you board, and each evening you will receive one for the next day. It has all the ship board activities, shows, music etc. listed. Review it. The same information can also be obtained on your smart phone or tablet by using the Princess@Sea App. The staff at the internet cafe will help you load the app.

* While at sea turn all cell phones to airplane mode. It is very expensive to use the cell service while at sea, both text and voice. Of course while on land in Alaska you can use the phones, but be aware in Skagway at White Pass you may go into or near Canada and thus pick up their towers. If you have further questions about using a cell phone ask on these boards.

You can do ALL the excursions you have planned just fine! You have kids and they are high energy. Many posters here go on a cruise to relax, you are going to SEE Alaska! There will still be plenty of time for relaxing! Kids and adults will LOVE the lumberjack show and dog sledding! My kids still talk about it and look at the pictures! You planned the ultimate dream vacation, leave it just as planned! I would try to make a reservation for dinner in Anchorage since you have so many people at the Glacier Brewhouse.

Welcome to cruising!!! I hope that your family loves it as much as my family and I do. One of my favorite excursions EVER has been the whale watcing in Juneau. It's been 15 years since that one and MANY excursions later, and still ranks up towards the top. We were lucky enough to have a mom and calf following our tour boat and the calf was playing in the wake from the boat, it was so much fun to watch. I agree with another poster that mentioned the "Princess Patter". Make sure to always read it, great information. Also, layering your clothing is a must, and be prepared for rain. Hope you have a great time, make sure to post what you thought after you get back. Happy cruising!!!

You are flying all the was from the Carolinas to Alaska in one day? We flew it in one day from Ohio. We ate that day on the plane as we started at 7:00 am and landed at about 11:00pm. We were too tired to eat at a restaurant that night. So, pack snacks and healthy things for the day.

Have cameras in hand on the way to hotel from airport. Animals do not pose for photos! Bring extra cards, batteries and charging things for your devices.

Food is a lot more expensive. Plan accordingly.

Bring lots of things to entertain the younger ones. It takes almost a day to get from point A to point B. Being stuck on a train or bus with nothing to do is the pits. The others in your group will enjoy the trip much better too, knowing that Billy and Suzy are busy and not whining all the time. (When we went, we were on the same bus and train car with two little girls, parents, and one grandparent. They played quietly the whole week and everyone enjoyed their vacations!) After all, there are only so many trees and mountains for younger ones to see.

Layers. Yes! Bring gloves, scarves, and hat as well. It can get rather chilly at any point on the trip.

Those are a few of my ideas. Ask more questions and I'm sure we all can offer more ideas.

Have a great trip!

You will have so much fun watching the kids have fun! Keep in mind, though, that they might get tired and grouchy doing too many fun things. You should look into the kids' clubs on the ship, too.

Thanks so much everyone! Yes we are all aware that two excursions in one day is quite ambitious. We started planning this trip last year and our mom had each of the two families pick our top three excursion choices for each port. She worked with the travel agent and much to all of our surprise booked the trip and all of the excursions and then told us all after the fact! In going back and looking at the times and excursions she has chosen, everything times out pretty well and we do have four very high-energy boys who love touring, learning and seeing new places, we are all nature lovers and chances are this will be a once in a lifetime trip and we will not be doing this again so we are trying to plan accordingly. This is definitely not the trip we are planning for relaxation, except for our three days at sea and I already have massages booked for one of those [emoji39]

And yes, we fly out of RDU in Raleigh, North Carolina at noon on Tuesday and when we arrive in Anchorage, it will be 630pm local time

We have a similar size group and we are doing Alaska this summer too. We have a family of 4 (mine) DH, myself and DD10 and DD6, a family of 5 - two parents and 3 kids - DS5, DD7 and DS10 and then two single friends. So far this is what we have planned -

Ketchikan - Deadliest Catch Fisherman's tour and then the rest of the day on our own to explore and do some shopping. Not sure how many in the group are planning to do this, so far I have 4 definite yeses. Husband wants to see totem poles and native culture so trying to set him up with that.

Juneau - Whale watch and then the group will split up with myself and my two DDs going to Mendenhall glacier. The rest of the group is planning to play it by ear that day. Most of the other adults are interested in going the Alaska Brewing Company brewery. I may take an additional kid or two with me to the glacier and hopefully lobby some other adults onto team glacier. You can drink a beer in any state, but you can only visit glaciers in Alaska!

Skagway - I really wanted to get everyone to do a 7 hour Yukon tour with dogsledding cart ride, but I realized it would be too long of a day for everyone with it being our 3rd long port day in a row. It's killing me though to be so close to the Yukon and not go!! However, I'm choosing spending time with the group vs my own wants in this case. Here I plan to take my two kids and who ever else wants to go on a 2.5 White Pass Summit tour in the morning and then DD10 and I will do a 3 hour dogsled cart ride in the afternoon. It would be too long of a day for DD6 to do both so she and DH will stay behind and enjoy Skagway at a leisurely pace.

I will get up extra early to walk around Skagway on my own and DD10 is all about the puppies so she could care less about seeing Skagway.

We're in Victoria BC from 7-11 pm at night. Planning on doing a horse drawn carriage ride and maybe see some buskers but not booking anything in advance.

The comment on photos is particularly appropriate. We took over 1300 photos on our first trip up there. Have plenty of memory cards, batteries, chargers and backup every night to a different media. For example we have a small laptop and an external hard disk. Did have one memory card go bad on us and lost all pictures from that day, so use multiple cameras. Don't forget to take binoculars.

Rooms only have a single pair of electrical outlets and they are too close together to plug in two chargers. We bring a Y power cord, others bring small extension cords.

Kids would probably just want to eat at the mall food court when you get in.

Not sure about the "natural history walking tour". If this is from Princess is is probably the bus tour to the end of the paved road in Denali. But you probably don't have time to upgrade this to the Tundra Wilderness tour. Latter goes 50 miles into the park, has a good view of Denali, and goes into the bear territory. But it does take around 9 hours.

When on the ship don't try to eat everything! First trip we tried to eat from each course at dinner and felt awful after. There are lots of food options throughout the day but you do not have to use them all every day. At dinner if you can't decide on a main course the waiters will happily bring both. Or two of something. Or your can share. And if you liked a dessert at dinner and want another later the buffet often has the same food as the main dining room.

Kids will like the grill and pizza places on deck near the pool. Open from around 11 on. Best fries on the ocean.

Ship will likely have a salmon bake/chili lunch on deck on a sea day. Several ships also have a dessert lunch buffet with dozens of options during Glacier Bay.

Edited by LeeW
binocs

It sounds like you have a full port schedule as well, definitely a couple of our excursions are surely going to be fairly relaxing and low-key I think, the white Pass trainride should be great, watching the lumberjacks should be easy and the Misty fjords wilderness boat tour should be relaxing. We don't really have a schedule that we have to rush except for Juneau is an early day with our seaplane glacier tour and we will have about an hour in between that tour and our whale watching adventure and at the end of that we will have another two hours in Juneau

Edited by 4olivers