Pervasive Wifi

Was just reading about the Jewel of the Seas renovation on Royal Caribbean's website. I found it funny that they would describe the shipboard Wifi as "pervasive". With the negative connotations I associate with that word, I thought it an odd choice to highlight the Wifi. What do you think?

Was just reading about the Jewel of the Seas renovation on Royal Caribbean's website. I found it funny that they would describe the shipboard Wifi as "pervasive". With the negative connotations I associate with that word, I thought it an odd choice to highlight the Wifi. What do you think?

They have been using the term since they started the fleetwide revitalizations about 5 years ago. I find the word a good description of the change since the time they only had hotspots for WiFi.

I would never argue Bob;) but to me it seems the term is used even longer. I remember it being used for as Long as they brought out the first ships with pervasive Internet and at least the Oasis class had it right from the beginning.

I never thought about the wording, it was just what they used ever since.

Wow, 5 years! I have only ever heard the word Pervasive used in negative scenarios, and it seemed like such an odd choice.

You're right about their choice of word. Pervasive is used usually meaning an unwelcomed influence, they really should use a different term, such as 'ship wide' or something.

per·va·sive

pərˈvāsiv/Submit

adjective

(especially of an unwelcome influence or physical effect) spreading widely throughout an area or a group of people.

"ageism is pervasive and entrenched in our society"

synonyms: prevalent, pervading, permeating, extensive, ubiquitous, omnipresent, universal, rife, widespread, general

RCI's use of the word is technically correct but certainly not the best choice.

per·va·sive

pərˈvāsiv/Submit

adjective

(especially of an unwelcome influence or physical effect) spreading widely throughout an area or a group of people.

synonyms: prevalent, pervading, permeating, extensive, ubiquitous, omnipresent, universal, rife, widespread, general

Thank you for sharing the definition.

per·va·sive

pərˈvāsiv/Submit

adjective

Extensive would be a much better choice.

I would never argue Bob;) but to me it seems the term is used even longer. I remember it being used for as Long as they brought out the first ships with pervasive Internet and at least the Oasis class had it right from the beginning.

I never thought about the wording, it was just what they used ever since.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought Freedom class had pervasive WiFi from the beginning.

Edited by clarea

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought Freedom class had pervasive internet from the beginning.

I think you are right and I was thinking the same, just not 100% sure about it, so I used Oasis, where I was 100% sure about.;)

On Oasis recently we found pervasive to be accurate. Everyone sitting with heads down looking at phones. Even at dinner. Does cut down on the need to provide entertainment, though. And a lot of complaining about not having internet in the ports.

on oasis recently we found pervasive to be accurate. Everyone sitting with heads down looking at phones. Even at dinner. Does cut down on the need to provide entertainment, though.

That's hilarious!! Now I understand why they chose that word. :p

Edited by Host Jacquelyn