Meet-and-Greets on R-class ships: Timing and Locations?

marne-c

I'm among about 40 pax on the Roll Call for Sirena's July 27th sailing from Lisbon. We're talking about having a meet-and-greet on the departure evening. I have two questions for you wise Oceania Forum folks.

First, what venues on board might we consider as a location? Second, given that a Muster Drill is likely to be scheduled around departure time, what might be a sensible time for an M&G?

--Marne

Usually we have ended up in Horizons after the boat drill (depending on when that is being held). Normally I give the concierge a list of all the participants and he lets me know when and where, but if you do yours on departure evening I don't think there would be conflicts with other events on the ship. With 40 people Horizons would be the best bet anyway. If you can let them know in advance what you are planning, they probably will rope off a section for the group.

Make sure the bartenders know it's a cash bar ... the first time I set one up (and that was on Regatta) they assumed I was paying for everybody's drinks ...

I would agree with Mura Horizons is best

Depends on the sailaway time though

we had 6pm sailing time & the Concierge suggested to do it in the morning of the sea day

well that did not turn out so well ..there were other activities going on in the morning so the place was busy & people had other things they wanted to do

I would stick to the embarkation day if your timing works out after muster drill

JMO

Lyn

Embarkation is generally the worst time for me. We're generally quite busy on the 1st day getting settled in, going to dinner after Muster drill, and drinking.

I prefer an early sea day if there is one. If people really want to attend the CC meeting they can forego basket weaving or knitting class or even an enrichment lecture.

Having said that I usually try to attend them whenever, but I find the ones at sailaway create the least amount of bonding among the group.

The best one I ever attended was held during the Captain's welcome party the second night. Which for some reason many people think that's a bad time for them.

I'm among about 40 pax on the Roll Call for Sirena's July 27th sailing from Lisbon. We're talking about having a meet-and-greet on the departure evening. I have two questions for you wise Oceania Forum folks.

First, what venues on board might we consider as a location? Second, given that a Muster Drill is likely to be scheduled around departure time, what might be a sensible time for an M&G?

I have done several of these. If you choose the departure evening you need to schedule it about a half an hour after completion of the muster. Nowadays the drill will be before departure (like 5 PM for your 6 PM sailing). So, in your case 6 pm would work. My problem with departure day Meet & Greets is that Horizons will be absolutely full of predinner/sailaway folks and therefore extremely loud and crowded. Some of your group will have dinner reservations and will have to leave early. I am not a fan of this schedule choice. It is hard to move about and meet others and announcements to the group are essentially impossible.

We have had our best M&G's on the AM of the first sea day (Twice). Admittedly, these have been the second or third day of long (20+ day) cruises. We have had Horizons to ourselves and this timing enabled the Hotel Director and Cruise Director to stop by for a brief introduction. People who had organized shore excursions were able to get together and to fill out any available openings. A much more relaxed and effective meeting. If your cruise schedule permits I highly recommend this approach.

I just went and looked at your cruise itinerary and it seems you are stuck with the departure day. Contact the concierge ASAP and hope that they can rope off a section of Horizons for you.

Good luck

Marne - we are with you on that cruise. I've done many M & G and since we have no sea days - departure day about 20-30 minutes after the conclusion of the muster drill works best. That gives folks the chance to dump their life jackets in their room and get to Horizons - it's the best location. And those that want to, can watch sail away from that location instead of outside on deck

Jan

We departed from Lisbon and I can tell you that this is one city where you won't want to have the meet and greet after sailaway, or at least not until at least an hour post-sailaway. It's a great port to depart from, with views on either side of the river for a while (including in Belem, where the Tower is a great sight, although you're not totally close to it).

We have mostly had ours in Horizons, but it can be a little rocky up there (way up top) plus people tend to want to sit, and then they end up sitting the whole time and not mingling...

Of course, as others have said, you'll never get a date and time where everyone can or will come. Just pick the best you can and go with it - and then remind everyone several times!

I have organized several of these & you will never please everyone

Pick a time & place & those that are interested will show up ;)

Best advice on the whole thread.