Cruise Vcation Guide - how far in advance is it sent?

jw_406

How many weeks prior to your cruise does Oceania send the Cruise Vacation Guide (blue book)? I realize that sometimes it's sent from Oceania and in some cases you receive it from your TA. Mine will be coming from Oceania. The FAQ on the Oceania website said they send it 21 days prior, however searching the message boards, I've read anywhere from 90 days to 1 month.

Just curious of your experience for those that have cruised in the last 6 months and live in the US.

While I'm asking questions, when do they email the cruise documents (I think that's what it's called). I think read on here that it's a couple weeks prior.

Thanks!

received ours for May and June cruises about 6 weeks ahead of the cruise date- direct from Oceania. The e-docs are sent 1-2 weeks out, but today I had to contact my TA about not receiving, in turn she contacted Oceania where the rep said they had sent directly to me- but I know I didn't over look them. They sent another e-docs to the TA who forwarded to me- all within an hour. The e-docs were dated with today's date, so who knows what happened to the original.

Edited by arima22

received ours for May and June cruises about 6 weeks ahead of the cruise date- direct from Oceania.

Thanks for the quick response. My cruise departs June 14 (5 weeks on Tuesday). I might call Oceania on Monday.

You're getting on the Marina at Southampton the day we get off? Had our blue book about 3 weeks ago for our June 7 sailing from Lisbon.

Correct, we're on the June 14 Marina out of Southampton. Interesting that you received yours 3 weeks ago.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Likewise, we are boarding Nautica in Copenhagen on 24 June and received our booklet about 2 weeks ago.

But for our last cruise we didn't get it and we didn't get it, so we had to ask for a last minute delivery. (Not THAT last minute ... maybe 2 weeks in advance.)

I will admit that has NOT been usual at all. It seems to me that usually they come a month or so in advance, but I haven't kept track so could be wrong about that memory.

Still, if you are leaving soon it's a good idea to call Oceania! The only really essential thing in the booklet (in my opinion) is the luggage tags showing your cabin number. You will receive a email notice maybe two weeks in advance which gives you the essential info and is proof for you to get through security to check-in.

Mura

Mura

We already have ours for our July 17 sailing. Many years ago, our TA asked (and asked, and asked) for Oceania to send the blue booklet directly to us vs to him. After it finally got accomplished, we seem to get our booklets much earlier than ever before.

Final cruise documents usually emailed 21 days in advance. And you should look at them carefully as sometimes there can be a critical change (change in docking/boarding location for instance)

Me again...original poster here...Is the personalized blue Cruise Vacation Guide only sent to those booked in a suite? We're booked in a Concierge A4 cabin and received our official Oceania luggage tags with a form letter from our TA on the travel agency's letterhead - but no "blue book" that others talk about. The letter stated we'll receive an email with the Cruise Vacation Summary 14-18 days prior.

Granted, we certainly don't "need" this beautiful book that I've only heard about. (as you can tell, this is our first Oceania cruise.) However, if seems like such a classy touch and would provide a lot of info to the other travelers in our group that haven't done the extensive research on these message boards, like I have. (I'm traveling with my mother, aunt and cousin... None of us living near each other, so I've shared bits and pieces of info, but this book would have somewhat brought them up to speed with info I've gathered and an elegant way to start off our vacation together.)

I plan on calling our TA tomorrow morning, but just wanted to maybe get some feedback before I make the call. FYI, I haven't been impressed with our travel agency since day one... We booked though this TA because it was a trip promoted though my and my moms respective alma mater alumni associations' travel programs. (Our alma mater alumni associations get a kick back, otherwise we would have gone with my mom's standard TA.)

Sorry for the lengthy post...I was disappointed tonight when I found the package from the TA in my mailbox instead of the much anticipated blue book. ;) I probably should have cooled off before posting these questions...hehe.

Edited by jw_406

Me again...original poster here...Is the personalized blue Cruise Vacation Guide only sent to those booked in a suite? We're booked in a Concierge A4 cabin and received our official Oceania luggage tags with a form letter from our TA on the travel agency's letterhead - but no "blue book" that others talk about. The letter stated we'll receive an email with the Cruise Vacation Summary 14-18 days prior.

Everyone gets the booklet (or should) no matter what cabin cat they booked

Sounds like your TA decided to just send the luggage tags & toss the booklet to save them the cost of mailing it to you

Bad form IMO

Granted, we certainly don't "need" this beautiful book that I've only heard about. (as you can tell, this is our first Oceania cruise.) However, if seems like such a classy touch and would provide a lot of info to the other travelers in our group that haven't done the extensive research on these message boards, like I have. (I'm traveling with my mother, aunt and cousin... None of us living near each other, so I've shared bits and pieces of info, but this book would have somewhat brought them up to speed with info I've gathered and an elegant way to start off our vacation together.)

I plan on calling our TA tomorrow morning, but just wanted to maybe get some feedback before I make the call. FYI, I haven't been impressed with our travel agency since day one... We booked though this TA because it was a trip promoted though my and my moms respective alma mater alumni associations' travel programs. (Our alma mater alumni associations get a kick back, otherwise we would have gone with my mom's standard TA.)

Sorry for the lengthy post...I was disappointed tonight when I found the package from the TA in my mailbox instead of the much anticipated blue book. ;) I probably should have cooled off before posting these questions...hehe.

For our 3rd June cruise we received our booklet at least a month ago. I didn't know about the e-docs so will wait another week before getting in touch with my TA.

I just received an email from our TA which had attached about 6 pages scanned from our "blue book!". This included a scan of our luggage tags, which I guess I'm supposed to print and cut out. When I called and asked if it would be mailed out, they said they don't do that but would for a fee of $45. Is this common? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I have never EVER heard of such a thing, and certainly not for such a fee. For starters, I would find a new TA.

Maybe you can ask Oceania to send out the booklet to you ... that may not be possible since the usual policy is that once you have a TA, the TA is the contact with Oceania.

But if you tell them that your TA wants to charge you $45 to send out the booklet, they might well make an exception.

That is egregious.

Mura

I just received an email from our TA which had attached about 6 pages scanned from our "blue book!". This included a scan of our luggage tags, which I guess I'm supposed to print and cut out. When I called and asked if it would be mailed out, they said they don't do that but would for a fee of $45. Is this common? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Do you have your blue book? If so the luggage tags are in the back leaf of them.

Who is trying to charge you the $45? If it's your TA they deserve to lose your business. I've always got the blue book for no charge.

Ridiculous :eek:

You need a new TA

My TA has the booklet sent directly to us

Edited by LHT28

I'll bet that if you spoke to customer service at Oceania, and then forwarded that Email to the Executive which they recommend, that your TA would lose their ability to sell Oceania product, and you would get a very pleasant thank you gift to recompense you for your trouble.:D

Your TA is playing VERY fast and loose with the rules. :eek:

I find that quite incredible. Do let Oceania know.

Last year our UK TA sent us loads of stuff by email, but we still got the blue book in the post.

Update from my experience of receiving only the luggage tags and a form letter from my TA. When I spoke with my TA, I was told that Oceania no longer sends the Cruise Vacation Guide to their passengers. (seriously, this is exactly what she said) Knowing what I've read on this message board, I was more than confused... my blood was boiling. I indicated that I know of others who have recently received their blue book for cruises this summer. Once I again, I received the statement "Oceania no longer sends this book to their passengers." I immediately called Oceania and spoke to a VERY nice customer representative and she was just as confused as I was. She told me that Oceania DOES still distribute these books. She told me she was going to contact their documentation department and she gave me her direct line if I had more questions.

Of course, this matter of my TA giving me blatantly wrong information and in a tone that wasn't appreciated was still festering in my head. I called back and spoke with a different customer representative at the travel agency and received the SAME information. Well, this time, I regrettably lost my cool. I told them I spoke to Oceania and was told that they did in fact still send the book. She honestly didn't seem to care and stuck to her statement that Oceania doesn't send it. I asked to speak to her supervisor, she put me on hold, didn't transfer me to her supervisor but told me that they would contact Oceania and have the book sent to us. Hmmm... well, that's a nice gesture, but it doesn't make up for the LIE! She indicated that they have had clients call after receiving book confused because they had made last minute changes and info in the book was incorrect. So, they chose to not have Oceania send the books to any of their clients.

I called back the service representative I spoke with at Oceania earlier and asked for an email address of someone I can report this issue to and she gave me her email address of which she would forward the email to the appropriate person. I'm not asking to get anything out of this, but I do think Oceania's reputation in on the line. All four of us in our travel party are first time Oceania cruisers and if I hadn't stumbled upon Cruise Critic, I wouldn't have known about the Cruise Vacation Guide. I would have received the luggage tags with a form letter from TA and thought Oceania sure does cut corners for being an elegant, upscale cruise line. It seems silly that I'm getting so upset about a book that is not necessary to board the ship and I'll have a fabulous cruise regardless of the book, but it's the principle of the matter.

Before I get a series of replies to this post that I need a new TA -- I fully realize this. This was a one time unique situation that we used this TA and believe me, we'll never use them again.

Signing off and dreaming about my first Oceania cruise!! :) We depart in 4 weeks tomorrow (arriving in London 2 days prior to the cruise). The amount of information and tips I've learned about Oceania over the course of 8 months of being obsessed with reading this Oceania message board has been invaluable! I'm extremely grateful to have learned so much from all of you! I will be repaying the favor by posting a review/overview of our cruise on this board when I return. Thank you!!!

Edited by jw_406

If your TA is having Oceania send you the booklet (and I wonder if you will actually receive it) then why are they charging you $45?

I'm the original poster of which my travel agent sent me my luggage tags with a form letter.

"Me1" is a different poster that cited they had to pay $45 to receive the book.

Edited by jw_406

Thank you all for confirming what I now realize - you get what you pay for when you use an online .com source. I am going to contact Oceania and see if they'll send another book, since I know my book is sitting in Miami with the TA (since they scanned the cover and sent that page). I'm going to also insist that the TA send the original luggage tags at least!! As this is my first Oceania cruise, can someone tell me is there anything I really need or am missing by not having the book?

Also apologies to the OP for cutting in on their thread.

Thank you all for confirming what I now realize - you get what you pay for when you use an online .com source. I am going to contact Oceania and see if they'll send another book, since I know my book is sitting in Miami with the TA (since they scanned the cover and sent that page). I'm going to also insist that the TA send the original luggage tags at least!! As this is my first Oceania cruise, can someone tell me is there anything I really need or am missing by not having the book?

Also apologies to the OP for cutting in on their thread.

Absolutely no need to apologize! We're kind of in the same boat...misery loves company. ;) Good luck!

The scanned pages will do you fine. What you really want is the luggage tags, and charging you $45 to send them to you is outrageous.

In fact you really don't need the booklet (other than for the luggage tags). You will receive an email closer to the date (again, that may come from your TA!) which would be all you need to show. When you are in your room, there will be letters from the ship detailing your tours and other bookings.

As others have said, in most cases you might need to show confirmation that you are booked on the cruise to get into the terminal. (A copy of your Invoice could do the trick as well.) Oceania itself isn't as fussy as some security people are.

But I would be very frustrated not to have REAL luggage tags!

Good luck,

Mura

(We already have our booklet for our June 25th boarding date and hopefully I won't lose it in the interim.)