How to test for true Voom.

It's all in the marketing if you don't actually know what is being sold. Example, before boarding the Liberty the cruise planner was advertising Voom service for 30% off, so i purchased it. When I got to my cabin there was the Voom access code in my mail slot. The very first thing I did was test for Voom and discovered it was not true Voom.

To test for Voom you need to download an app called "Ping". Open "ping" and ping an address like console.worldoftanks.com and if the ping rate is ~300 then you have true Voom. If it's more than 600 ms then you have high orbit satellite (i.e. Garbage).

Here are the test results from the Liberty.

http://http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=38030&cat=523

These ping rates are worse than when I was on the ship in Feb, but the results confirm the absence of true Voom Internet.

As of now ships have only two options for satellite. One is the old technology called high orbit satellite and the other is low orbit satellite. Low orbit satellite is only provided a company called O3b and is the only true Voom. Their ping rates are typically under 300 ms so your web page fetches are going to be similar to your Internet at home.

Low ping rates are important for web page performance. The higher the ping rates, the longer you have to wait for your web page to load. Maybe up to 2 minutes typically.

Seems it all in the marketing of Internet these days, Xcelerate on Celebrity still uses the old tech. I was on the Westerdam trying to print out my "Set sail Pass" for this cruise and it took 45 minutes. Maybe HA was throttling RCL, who knows.

So know the true Voom.

It's all in the marketing if you don't actually know what is being sold. Example, before boarding the Liberty the cruise planner was advertising Voom service for 30% off, so i purchased it. When I got to my cabin there was the Voom access code in my mail slot. The very first thing I did was test for Voom and discovered it was not true Voom.

To test for Voom you need to download an app called "Ping". Open "ping" and ping an address like console.worldoftanks.com and if the ping rate is ~300 then you have true Voom. If it's more than 600 ms then you have high orbit satellite (i.e. Garbage).

Here are the test results from the Liberty.

http://http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=38030&cat=523

These ping rates are worse than when I was on the ship in Feb, but the results confirm the absence of true Voom Internet.

As of now ships have only two options for satellite. One is the old technology called high orbit satellite and the other is low orbit satellite. Low orbit satellite is only provided a company called O3b and is the only true Voom. Their ping rates are typically under 300 ms so your web page fetches are going to be similar to your Internet at home.

Low ping rates are important for web page performance. The higher the ping rates, the longer you have to wait for your web page to load. Maybe up to 2 minutes typically.

Seems it all in the marketing of Internet these days, Xcelerate on Celebrity still uses the old tech. I was on the Westerdam trying to print out my "Set sail Pass" for this cruise and it took 45 minutes. Maybe HA was throttling RCL, who knows.

So know the true Voom.

Interesting, two questions for you. First which ship were you on. Second did you have "Voom Surf", or "Voom Surf and Stream"

I'm curious if the hardware is on the ship just not activated yet. This would make sense considering the level of effort required for network deployments. Especially on a ship.

Just from reading the literature it sounds like Voom Surf could very well be using High Orbit satellites, while Voom Surf and Stream is using Low Orbit Satellites. Doing this is obviously more work for the networking team. But considering the timing for these roll outs they maybe doing that to keep congestion off of Surf and Stream.

Not exactly. :)

Bandwidth is more important in regards to the overall loading speed of modern web pages. Low latency is more important when it comes to video, voice, and streaming.

As you mentioned, this is by O3b. good reading here: http://www.o3bnetworks.com/o3bmaritime/

Just from reading the literature it sounds like Voom Surf could very well be using High Orbit satellites, while Voom Surf and Stream is using Low Orbit Satellites. Doing this is obviously more work for the networking team. But considering the timing for these roll outs they maybe doing that to keep congestion off of Surf and Stream.

I'd say that is very unlikely. Once they have real VOOM on the ship I don't think it makes sense to split it up like that. One has to assume the cost to RCI is less via O3B so with the lower price of SURF it would not make sense financially to provide SURF via the older more expensive technology.

While ping times are important, so is download speed for some uses. We have seen reports of low ping times (confirming VOOM) but download speeds well below 1MBs. Or you could have real VOOM confirmed on the ship but you go on northern TA (like Iceland) and performance will suck (since there's no O3B service that far north).

Interesting, two questions for you. First which ship were you on. Second did you have "Voom Surf", or "Voom Surf and Stream"

I'm curious if the hardware is on the ship just not activated yet. This would make sense considering the level of effort required for network deployments. Especially on a ship.

I am totally addicted to the Internet so I will always opt for the best possible package. I cruise often, but currently on the Liberty.

Not exactly. :)

Bandwidth is more important in regards to the overall loading speed of modern web pages. Low latency is more important when it comes to video, voice, and streaming.

As you mentioned, this is by O3b. good reading here: http://www.o3bnetworks.com/o3bmaritime/

Yes exactly, good web page performance is totally dependent on low latency. Bandwidth is almost secondary, but true Voom by default comes with 25 Mbps download. However I digress, this thread is about testing for true Voom and its a binary result. Approx 300 ms you have true Voom, More than 500 ms and you have garbage.

Yes exactly, good web page performance is totally dependent on low latency. Bandwidth is almost secondary,

Try loading a graphic heavy page such as one of the photo review threads here on cruise critic with a 56K connection and you'll see how bandwidth comes into play.

Both latency and bandwidth are important. However, I will take a high bandwidth/high latency connection over a low bandwidth/low latency connection every single time if I am moving data. (voice and chat - not so much)

but true Voom by default comes with 25 Mbps download. However I digress, this thread is about testing for true Voom and its a binary result. Approx 300 ms you have true Voom, More than 500 ms and you have garbage.

The Ob3 pages say they are guaranteeing 150ms latency but that is just between them and the client. There are a lot of other factors at play though. I wouldn't say it is a terrible test as it will probably give you a good idea but it is not an exact test.

Also, pinging 8.8.8.8 might be a better destination to test with

While ping times are important, so is download speed for some uses. We have seen reports of low ping times (confirming VOOM) but download speeds well below 1MBs. Or you could have real VOOM confirmed on the ship but you go on northern TA (like Iceland) and performance will suck (since there's no O3B service that far north).

Yes, O3b only works in the Med and Caribbean. Northern and Southern Hemispheres are excluded in their current offerings. I'm sure the cruises to Alaska are unable to provide true Voom for the entire voyage. On true Voom ships the router throttles bandwidth, hence the "Surf". Not throttled, "surf and stream". When I was on the Allure my download was 25 Mbps, obviously unthrottled.

Went on a recent Carnival cruise. Got their premier Internet package. Was able to connect VPN. YES!! After that, press a key and wait average 5-15 seconds before something come back. It takes me an hour to do what usually 10 minutes. Booked Liberty December 2016 based on VOOM ads on Cruise Critics. Now I am not so sure.

If any know for sure, please share. Thanks!!!! :(

Try loading a graphic heavy page such as one of the photo review threads here on cruise critic with a 56K connection and you'll see how bandwidth comes into play.

Both latency and bandwidth are important. However, I will take a high bandwidth/high latency connection over a low bandwidth/low latency connection every single time if I am moving data. (voice and chat - not so much)

The Ob3 pages say they are guaranteeing 150ms latency but that is just between them and the client. There are a lot of other factors at play though. I wouldn't say it is a terrible test as it will probably give you a good idea but it is not an exact test.

Also, pinging 8.8.8.8 might be a better destination to test with

I just spent 30 days in the South Pacific and they probably get their service from O3b. In Moorea for example, their (i.e. Vodafone 3G) ping rates were 351-435. I doubt they have an underwater cable to Hawaii.

Yes, pinging googles public DNS is also good.

Went on a recent Carnival cruise. Got their premier Internet package. Was able to connect VPN. YES!! After that, press a key and wait average 5-15 seconds before something come back. It takes me an hour to do what usually 10 minutes. Booked Liberty December 2016 based on VOOM ads on Cruise Critics. Now I am not so sure.

If any know for sure, please share. Thanks!!!! :(

I met with the Hotel Director on the Liberty and he is supposed to get me more information about the Liberty's (lack of) Voom. I've also got the Diamonds Concierge host happily involved and he emailed the folks in the IT dept.

I just spent 30 days in the South Pacific and they probably get their service from O3b. In Moorea for example, their (i.e. Vodafone 3G) ping rates were 351-435. I doubt they have an underwater cable to Hawaii.

Looks like there is an underwater cable to Hawaii:

http://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/submarine-cable/honotua

http://www.opt.pf

Yes, O3b only works in the Med and Caribbean. Northern and Southern Hemispheres are excluded in their current offerings. I'm sure the cruises to Alaska are unable to provide true Voom for the entire voyage. On true Voom ships the router throttles bandwidth, hence the "Surf". Not throttled, "surf and stream". When I was on the Allure my download was 25 Mbps, obviously unthrottled.

Yeah... i'm curious if when they say that Voom has been "deployed" to all of their ships do they really mean the equipment is on the ships and maybe the service isn't activated? I don't know we will see.

I'll be on Liberty on May 22nd. Picked up two internet packages Surf and Stream, one for 3 devices, and one for 5. I won't be happy if i am getting less then a meg.

Yes exactly, good web page performance is totally dependent on low latency. Bandwidth is almost secondary, but true Voom by default comes with 25 Mbps download. However I digress, this thread is about testing for true Voom and its a binary result. Approx 300 ms you have true Voom, More than 500 ms and you have garbage.

Sorry, that's not true. For normal loading of web pages and surfing, it's exactly the opposite. Bandwidth is the key and ping is secondary. For gaming and video chat, etc ping comes into play more.

A simple ping test isn't a reliable test of what kind of internet you have. Something like speedtest.net would be better. Also 300ms ping would be considered very high for broadband. For it to feel like a home connection I would hope the ping was < 150ms.

Also 300ms ping would be considered very high for broadband. For it to feel like a home connection I would hope the ping was < 150ms.

The lowest ping I've seen reported was 162ms (on Ovation in the Med).

The truth about Voom.

I met with a three stripe IT manager on the Liberty and was told only ships built in 2010 or later plus the Enchantment and Freedom will have the O3b service true Voom. Everyone else, it's the high orbit satellite. So, as of now there it is.

Also, when I purchased the Voom package from the cruise planner, it was the surf package (garbage). Surf and stream was not mentioned or offered. So, If you want the surf and stream you need to wait until you board and then get the surf and stream package. I immediately upgraded to the best package and report on its performance later in the cruise.

The truth about Voom.

I met with a three stripe IT manager on the Liberty and was told only ships built in 2010 or later plus the Enchantment and Freedom will have the O3b service true Voom. Everyone else, it's the high orbit satellite. So, as of now there it is.

Also, when I purchased the Voom package from the cruise planner, it was the surf package (garbage). Surf and stream was not mentioned or offered. So, If you want the surf and stream you need to wait until you board and then get the surf and stream package. I immediately upgraded to the best package and report on its performance later in the cruise.

Looking forward to your thoughts. I've got the Surf+Stream. I don't care if it's O3B, R2-D2, or BB-8 running the internet. Prepaid for about 8 devices to be connected at all times (1 iPhone + 3 iPads for me. 1 iPhone + 1 iPad for my wife. Not sure if I can get a Roku and AppleTV active on the ship yet).

AT&T has been touting a "fiber network" going to homes for years when it's really fiber to the curb and copper to the house. Not true Fiber. I'd be happy with that kind of solution if it works some what consistently.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most customer facing personal probably don't know whats planned, and whats close to be deployed. I've spent enough time building and deploying data centers to know that the people who know whats going on don't have time for customer facing stuff.

The truth about Voom.

This is confusing to me, as we have seen speed tests from Indy with ping times that indicate lower earth orbit satellites.:confused:

Edited by clarea

This is confusing to me, as we have seen speed tests from Indy with ping times that indicate lower earth orbit satellites.:confused:

Speed is not the deciding factor, it's the ping rate. High orbit satellite latency is nearly fixed because the signal has to travel much higher up (>22,000 miles) and back down to earth. The ping rate is going to be about 638 ms under ideal conditions.

Speed is not the deciding factor, it's the ping rate. High orbit satellite latency is nearly fixed because the signal has to travel much higher up (>22,000 miles) and back down to earth. The ping rate is going to be about 638 ms under ideal conditions.

That's why I mentioned ping times in my post. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I'm thinking around 300ms.

I now have the surf + stream package and I am able to stream Netflix on the Liberty. I woke early and thought it would be a good time to test streaming, so it does work for now. When everyone wakes and starts to use wifi, it may not. High orbit satellite is very limited in its bandwidth.

What we have for Internet service is a pig with lipstick and not true Voom, but it's pricing is much better than the old by the minute pricing. Web pages still take longer to load and that will not change. Any service you use requiring low latency will fail.

That's why I mentioned ping times in my post. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I'm thinking around 300ms.

Well, hopefully a tech savvy person on the Indy can confirm a low ping rate. I will ask the Concierge host to email the Concierge host on the Indy and find out.