How to test for true Voom.

I think it's mainly that we're getting further north compared to the caribbean and are right on the edge of the satellite coverage area

O3b-coverage-map.png

Definitely in the limited coverage area now (we're almost level with the south west coast of cornwall in England) however still feels fast and responsive (definitely more like a land based connection than a ship one!!) no problem streaming video etc. either :)

Since the satellite is not directly over head, you could have issues if you get mountains between you and the satellite. Try testing with http://www.speedtest.net/

I

Personally, I'm on the internet every day of life and using it while on vacation to do anything more than send an email home once or twice seems nuts to me. I cruise to get away from all that stuff. It's nice just to relax and enjoy not worrying about anything more than if its going to be sunny all day and where am I going to eat lunch and dinner.

I never went on the internet while on a cruise

Locked my cell phone up for a week and shut out the world

Since I m self employed, clients nowadays don t understand about being on vacation and not connected. If you ignore someone for 17 days they go somewhere else

I hate this new world but to make money I have to adjust:o

On Indy

Just upgraded to Surf and Stream for 27.99 for 24hrs

Service SES Americom

Current Ping 229

download 23.72

upload 11.72

comparable to Allure Voom we had on our TA

Thanks for the test and report. So then it looks like it's $20 for SURF and $28 for STREAM for a single day. This means that the free day you get with the D coupon is the limited SURF.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the test and report. So then it looks like it's $20 for SURF and $28 for STREAM for a single day. This means that the free day you get with the D coupon is the limited SURF.

Yes sort of

Currently no coupons are being applied due to internet issues onboard:rolleyes:

So I will have to go to guest services in am to get our coupons applied

On Indy

Just upgraded to Surf and Stream for 27.99 for 24hrs

Service SES Americom

Current Ping 229

download 23.72

upload 11.72

comparable to Allure Voom we had on our TA

I was on the Allure for the TA and getting similar results. It's awesome!

Looking forward to your thoughts. I've got the Surf+Stream. I don't care if it's O3B, R2-D2, or BB-8 running the internet. Prepaid for about 8 devices to be connected at all times (1 iPhone + 3 iPads for me. 1 iPhone + 1 iPad for my wife. Not sure if I can get a Roku and AppleTV active on the ship yet).

AT&T has been touting a "fiber network" going to homes for years when it's really fiber to the curb and copper to the house. Not true Fiber. I'd be happy with that kind of solution if it works some what consistently.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most customer facing personal probably don't know whats planned, and whats close to be deployed. I've spent enough time building and deploying data centers to know that the people who know whats going on don't have time for customer facing stuff.

ATT does have fiber to the home. However, it is only with their Gigapower service. I am on their 1Gbps/1Gbps service.

I frankly don't know squat about pings and packet sizes, but let me just throw in some old boat mechanic observations from the "bad old internet" days.

One, the ship is moving constantly, and I see there has been some discussion about this, but could this lead to more drops and longer latency/lower ping with a moving low orbit satellite and a moving, rolling dish than what O3B advertises for land based receivers?

Also, as always, the ship's systems take priority. The ship is online 24/7, from the POS registers, to the purser's accounts, to the engineering Planned Maintenance/Purchasing system, and even the waste water management system is online to the manufacturer. I know that some cruise lines even upload surveillance video to the home office, or allow the home office to access video, so could this not slow access rate as well?

... One, the ship is moving constantly, and I see there has been some discussion about this, but could this lead to more drops and longer latency/lower ping with a moving low orbit satellite and a moving, rolling dish than what O3B advertises for land based receivers?...

I know you said you don't know squat about ping, so just for educational purposes, longer latency is higher ping (bad), lower latency is lower ping (good).

ATT does have fiber to the home. However, it is only with their Gigapower service. I am on their 1Gbps/1Gbps service.

AT&T is rolling out faster service but at a much slower cadence then their competitors. I'm in Dallas, where AT&T's headquarters is and from what I can tell people can buy a 45/6 line on U-Verse but most people get only 24-ish if they use U-Verse TV. Much longer discussion.

All I can add is we are on Navigator, which claims to have Voom,, but the reality is that most of the time it doesn't have any internet at all.

I have tried different decks, different locations on different decks and no go.

Yesterday I went in the 'computer room' and was able to get maybe 30 minutes

on my own (new) computer before it kicked me out and no getting on again.

• 2 weeks later...
I frankly don't know squat about pings and packet sizes, but let me just throw in some old boat mechanic observations from the "bad old internet" days.

One, the ship is moving constantly, and I see there has been some discussion about this, but could this lead to more drops and longer latency/lower ping with a moving low orbit satellite and a moving, rolling dish than what O3B advertises for land based receivers?

Also, as always, the ship's systems take priority. The ship is online 24/7, from the POS registers, to the purser's accounts, to the engineering Planned Maintenance/Purchasing system, and even the waste water management system is online to the manufacturer. I know that some cruise lines even upload surveillance video to the home office, or allow the home office to access video, so could this not slow access rate as well?

It's possible they are doing some traffic shaping. I could see them prioritizing ship services over guest traffic, but it would likely be only relatively short periods of time. It probably wouldn't show up with such high latency unless they start pushing guest traffic out a different connection.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I love seeing "case reports" of the actual ping/speed. Thanks for all the info all!

I will throw in my 2 cents however. World of Tanks has a very unreliable system so I might recommend an alternative target for your ping and tracert tests. I have a rock solid internet connection at home and World of Tanks is routinely unplayable for me in a completely random fashion. I have no issues connecting to any other network.

I love seeing "case reports" of the actual ping/speed. Thanks for all the info all!

I will throw in my 2 cents however. World of Tanks has a very unreliable system so I might recommend an alternative target for your ping and tracert tests. I have a rock solid internet connection at home and World of Tanks is routinely unplayable for me in a completely random fashion. I have no issues connecting to any other network.

In general the idea of testing World Of Tanks is not a good way to test. There's tons of reasons to shape traffic something like a chatty video game. I can't think of a single reason to target a server that is clearly outside of the bounds of service.

Pinging Google is far more reliable since the majority of what they provide is seen as critical to user experience, and is less likely to get a dramatically lower priority on the line.

I'm on Liberty of the Seas right now and the Internet isn't the fastest I've had on vacation but it's not far off from what I would get in the hotel zone of Cancun on the beach for wifi. Web sites take about 10-15 seconds to load. Speed tests show about 600ms ping, with bursts up to 3mb that stabilize at .5. FaceTime video works nearly stutter free in my one and only test.

I put my phone in the safe for retrieval on the last day. I enjoy my time disconnected from the world. It sounds like you are the same. :)

Right on! LAST thing we need is getting an email, "John, I know my email IS working right, but someone sent me an email and I cannot find it" to "I can't log in this morning and I KNOW you're on vacay but no one else knows how to fix this PLEASE REMOTE IN AND HELP ME, signed CEO"

Well I have to admit, I purchased the VOOM Surf and Stream package and it was utterly terrible by my expectations... Regardless of where I was on the Navigator (which I am on until May 30th) the signal kept dropping out and when it did lock on so to speak the download speed never breached 0.5Mbps

That ain't sufficient for browsing let alone streaming or video calling etc... Spoke to Guest services and after IT department staying there was nothing wrong, they said its due to the amount of users on board using the services at the same time... Coming from a Broadband Technical Customer Service background I totally get the whole point of bandwidth availability etc but that would imply the available bandwidth available to the ship is so small that it can't handle a large number of users clearly

That out of the way, loving everything else so far!!

On that note, we've booked to go on the Allure of the Seas in December next year - anyone comment on how good the VOOM internet is on Allure?

VOOM is excellent on Allure.

• 1 month later...
Well I have to admit, I purchased the VOOM Surf and Stream package and it was utterly terrible by my expectations... Regardless of where I was on the Navigator (which I am on until May 30th) the signal kept dropping out and when it did lock on so to speak the download speed never breached 0.5Mbps

app

I wish I had read this post before we jumped on a 12-night cruise on Navigator on June 25th. Having been on Allure and Oasis, I assumed that "VOOM" would be on par on Navigator. Boy, was I wrong! It was awful, awful, awful. There was barely capacity to "surf," and much less to "stream."

BUYER BEWARE!