Feeling very down......

Actually I should be asking if the Witness is suppose to have known us like the Guarantor is? I'm hoping she just had to be a witness over 18 yrs old!!

I just had a look on the PPO website and they state that the information re the criteria for witnessing the parents consent is on the form. I wasn't able to down load a blank form with out completing an online application which is a bit of a "B___R"

There obviously has been some changes to the processing procedures over the last couple of years which I wasn't aware of.

If I think of it tomorrow when I'm out and about I'll grab a form and have a good look at it for you.

May i please suggest,that your first port of call,should be a JP (Justice of the Peace),most Post Offices that process passport applications should have at least one on staff.A Justice of the Peace,will at the very least provide you with all the relevant requirements and i would be surprised if you would have to go any further than a J.P. And all free of charge.;);).I wouldnt be relying on friends of workmates twice removed,J.P/doctor/centrelink/medicare/lawyer/police/local councilor/.Quite frankly im not seeing the problem.The process is clearly defined and has stop gap measures to ensure that people,dont try and circumnavigate the procedure.

Don't think a JP applied for passports anymore.

It's set out on the form who can sign them.

Edited by GUT2407

The guarantor:

must be an Australian citizen who is 18 years of age or over;

must have known the applicant for at least 12 months (or for children under one year, since birth). If you have recently moved from interstate you should contact someone who qualifies in your previous state and arrange to have the guarantor section (and photograph endorsement) completed;

must not be related to the applicant by birth, marriage, de facto or same sex relationship, or live at the applicant's address;

must possess a current (unexpired) Australian passport that was issued with at least two years' validity, or have been on the Australian electoral roll at their current address for the past 12 months;

must endorse the back of one photograph by writing "This is a true photograph of (applicant's full name)" and signing in black pen.

Don't think a JP applied for passports anymore.

It's set out on the form who can sign them.

Hence the problem since it's not as simple as just getting a JP (though they're a lot harder to get now as well - most post offices don't have them).

Yes but a J.P can witness a application,2 sections,I have known the person for at least a year,or i have sighted and witnessed the applicants documentation and verify that this is a true picture of ????.Unless they have changed the rules,and i havent received notification,so i guess i have a bit of research to do tomorrow.My post actually stated that a J.P would provide the relevent info and requirements needed,i didnt say a J.P provides the whole process,but i would go down that path instead of relying:) on friends of workmates twice removed.:)

I see that you are somewhere in Melbourne. We had difficulty with our daughter's passport (no birth certificate) and the 5 post offices within a reasonable drive all said we couldn't do it. Ended up phoning the Melbourne passport office and explaining our situation. They made an appointment for us to go in and lodge it there. Might be worth a try. Good luck, and keep persevering - you'll get there!

OK so I rang the Passport office and she said the witness just has to be a witness, we don't have to know them, just as long as they are willing to be a witness, over the age of 18 and give their real details! Phew, one thing has gone right, lol. Now I just have to get my doctor to re-sign a new photo of mine as she didn't write my last name clear enough on the photo on the form I got her to go guarantor on, and get my son's form Guaranteed by my sister's workmate, yes we do know her, have known her for a few years.

OK so I rang the Passport office and she said the witness just has to be a witness, we don't have to know them, just as long as they are willing to be a witness, over the age of 18 and give their real details! Phew, one thing has gone right, lol. Now I just have to get my doctor to re-sign a new photo of mine as she didn't write my last name clear enough on the photo on the form I got her to go guarantor on, and get my son's form Guaranteed by my sister's workmate, yes we do know her, have known her for a few years.

Your doctor and your last name issue reminded me...

Many years ago my big sis sent me pass port photos to sign for her, she had only been married a few weeks, I wrote her maiden name, nearly cost them their trip overseas, I think got it all sorted out with a day to spare.

The information the PPO gave you is correct I just managed to get hold of a Childs Passport application to have a good look at the application. In the section re witnessing the parents consent the witness can be anyone over 18 years that is not related to the child in any way. They just need to witness either parents consent - sign - print their name and contact number.

Again good luck with this.

May i please suggest,that your first port of call,should be a JP (Justice of the Peace),most Post Offices that process passport applications should have at least one on staff.A Justice of the Peace,will at the very least provide you with all the relevant requirements and i would be surprised if you would have to go any further than a J.P. And all free of charge.;);).I wouldnt be relying on friends of workmates twice removed,J.P/doctor/centrelink/medicare/lawyer/police/local councilor/.Quite frankly im not seeing the problem.The process is clearly defined and has stop gap measures to ensure that people,dont try and circumnavigate the procedure.

IME a JP has never been able to witness passport documents in their official capacity however if a JP meets the criteria for completing the Guarantor section they can do so as a private individual.

I've never come across a JP working in a PO however they would not be able to witness documents at a PO as it would be outside the scope of their duties.

Just another thing that you might not be aware of.

When you take children out of school or a least where my daughter goes you have to apply to the school for an exemption and you are given a letter to take with you. I never have been asked for it but I would not travel without it.

If you are a Centrelink client you also need to advise them of your travel plans. We learnt this the hard way when my daughters Health Care Card was cancelled as we hadn't informed them, took ages to get reinstated.

You can do this now on Your My Gov site so don't have to hang on the phone for long period.

When you take children out of school or a least where my daughter goes you have to apply to the school for an exemption and you are given a letter to take with you. I never have been asked for it but I would not travel without it.

If you are a Centrelink client you also need to advise them of your travel plans. We learnt this the hard way when my daughters Health Care Card was cancelled as we hadn't informed them, took ages to get reinstated.

You can do this now on Your My Gov site so don't have to hang on the phone for long period.

Why do you need a letter from the school? I have never heard of this and how can a school stop you from taking your own child on holidays even if it is during school term?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by sonia2509

Why do you need a letter from the school? I have never heard of this and how can a school stop you from taking your own child on holidays even if it is during school term?

Seems to becoming normal that you need school permission so you don't get accused of truancy.

Many teachers say travel broadens the mind.

I understand speaking to the school before hand, we took our youngest out in Year 12 when we did a big family holiday and I did speak to the school about it and I know they won't happy about it but they could not stop me. But a letter that you need to take with you on holidays?

Edited by sonia2509

No worries with taking My son out of school as he is leaving a the end of this year! He wants to do hospitality and work next year, he has Autism, be it mild, but he cannot cope with school, I'm hoping he can cope with a job, but if it's something he likes, he will be fine!

Maybe it is not applicable everywhere but in NSW since 2015 you are required to apply for an Exemption Certificate for leave such as holidays, work experience, employment, sporting activities etc. The School Principal can approve leave up to 100 days in a 12 month period.

But immigration won't ask for it.

Many teachers say travel broadens the mind.

If you encourage your son to join with you in planning things such as shore excursions and transport to and from the starting port for the cruise, he will be more worldly wise for the experience. You might also want to share with him the issues and processes related to getting foreign currency.

btw, don't forget to buy snorkelling gear, and especially don't forget to buy reef shoes - essential gear for Pacific Island cruises.

My husband does passports. People dont read the instructions properly, rush through and make stupid mistakes. Like using the wrong colour pen, or as you said, signing in the wrong spot.

The biggest change that has just happened, is your parents must now be Australian citizens when you were born, for you to get an Australian passport. I think that came in on April 1. So for example, say someone born here wanted to get a passport, and their parents were her on some sort of visa when they were born....no passport.

Hope you got it sorted, the form is really not that difficult. As for the passport office callimg guarantors, i have been guarantor for several and never been called.

My husband does passports. People dont read the instructions properly, rush through and make stupid mistakes. Like using the wrong colour pen, or as you said, signing in the wrong spot.

The biggest change that has just happened, is your parents must now be Australian citizens when you were born, for you to get an Australian passport. I think that came in on April 1. So for example, say someone born here wanted to get a passport, and their parents were her on some sort of visa when they were born....no passport.

Hope you got it sorted, the form is really not that difficult. As for the passport office callimg guarantors, i have been guarantor for several and never been called.

Ignorant American asking--does that mean the people who can't get a passport can just never leave the country?

I've never heard of this and I've pulled my daughter out for holidays. Who are you thinking might ask to see a letter? I've emailed her school and teachers to advise them.. never any mention of a letter and I've never had to apply for anything. Perhaps it was the individual school putting it on a bit to discourage holidays during term..

Thats been our biggest frustration, the guarantor not reading the instructions properly and writing in the wrong boxes or writing the wrong name. I am fully grateful for these people to go guarantor for us, but I just wish they would do it thoughtfully, so as we don't have to keep getting forms to re-do them, its getting tedious now. As it is I've had to make another appointment to see my doctor because she went over the B in my last name a couple of times, so it looks messy and unclear on the back of my photo she endorsed, so now I have to waste ANOTHER photo to get her to do it AGAIN, and the passport photos aren't cheap either, $16.95 just for mine!:mad:

Fortunately, that's not the case according to the government.

Depending on the date you were born, you're either an Australian citizen at birth (if before 20 Aug 1986), or if born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and acquired Australian citizenship on your 10th birthday.

Evidence: https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/119.pdf#search=form%20119

Fortunately, that's not the case according to the government.

Depending on the date you were born, you're either an Australian citizen at birth (if before 20 Aug 1986), or if born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and acquired Australian citizenship on your 10th birthday.

Evidence: https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/119.pdf#search=form%20119

Yes, i forgot there is a date, for example, I was not born here, by my father was and i have citizenship by descent, but I am almost 50, and it's not an issue for me. For those born after a specific date, it is. And it IS the case. If parents were not citizens at time of birth, the child no longer has automatic citizenship just due to being born here. He has told me they have had to reject many applications already. It has to do with the parent being born after that 1986 date, parent must have been a citizen, and they have to provide parents australian citizenship AND grandparents australian birth certificate.

Edited by Skatermumma