Fascination is it really that bad?

ranchette

My first cruise was on Fascination, way way back in 2001.

In June 2001, Mom and I went on a mother-son-bonding trip to Florida that included a short cruise (we won this whole trip somehow through a timeshare promotional sweepstakes). We were originally supposed to do Imperial Majesty's ss OceanBreeze from Port Everglades to the Bahamas, but we got switched to Carnival for their 3-night Miami-Nassau itinerary on Fascination. We enjoyed our cruise (the only cruise either of us has been on so far).

It was a lovely little ship back then (and besides, there weren't the huge megaships like today). It still looks nice inside and out, from the most recent videos of it on YouTube and photos online. There are a few changes from my time--some oceanview rooms now have balconies sticking out from them, the funnel deck is no longer topless, the former aft children's slide/pool deck is now Serenity (adult only), there are waterslides, and some new eateries/bars/etc. scattered around, especially on Lido deck. The Fantasy class have been refit multiple times over the years (Fun Ship 2.0, Evolutions of Fun, etc). There must be some good reasons for Carnival to hang onto these lovely small ships!

Someday I want to revisit and cruise on Fascination again, just for old times' sake.

Lou: When I sailed Celebrity Summit solo in December, both times my total fare was $1000 -1100. The same dates on Carnival for a solo at the time I booked were $1150 - 1300. Except for hurricane season, Carnival has fares starting @ $689 for an inside in 2016.

If a couple books a balcony and gets the free drink pkg on Celebrity, their fare will be less than a couple buying a Cheers pkg to go with their Carnival balcony and they will be on a much nicer ship.

I realize price rules, and only wish cruisers would shop around some instead of blindly booking Carnival. They could save some bucks and experience a very different cruise style. The only thing that seemed totally the same between the 2 lines was the main pool activities, go figure.

Okay, I'll buy that, but is Celebrity anything like Carnival? No. Sure, they can experience a very different cruise style, but are they up for it? For many, I think not. For some, they might want to try moving on up, and not worry about who the cruise director is. Also, there's no water slides on Celebrity. :D

• 1 month later...
We have a cruise booked on the fascination in Oct. 2017 and re having second thoughts after reading some of the reviews. Is it really that bad??????????????

I know it has a great itinerary but how is the ship overall?

Not at all bad. I've been on all types of Carnival ships. They are all somewhat different but still basically the same. I like the smaller ones best. I am excited to be boarding the Fascination this Oct and I have no doubt that I will have a great time. Some people are so critical and notice negative things that I would never notice. They are all fun ships to me!

We have been on fascination 6 times. Just got off paradise today and although the paradise is the youngest of the fantasy class and is 4 years newer than fascination, I thought the paradise was in terrible shape compared to fascination. Fascination always has a great crew.

I'M an OLD clunker but I still have a lot of use left in me:):cool:.

me three!

We love the fascination; you need to manage your expectations, she is not a glitzy new ship, but we love the manageable size, the crew has always been terrific - I think there is some esprit de corps in the crew on a smaller ship.

One inside tip: there are two small outdoor dining balconies, aft facing outside the lido dining area. They are located through two small doors, one on each side, behind what was a bar and as I recall the pizza service area. Since they are a bit hard to find they are often very sparsely used the first couple of days, making for a very pleasant spot!

There is a review by a solo cruiser on page one right now. She looks clean and very nice. Easy to navigate too.

OK, I laughed at this one a little. :)

Did the solo cruiser look clean and nice or the ship?:D

Seriously, to the OP, we loved the Fascination, but to me there just isn't any such thing as a bad cruise. Yeah, it's a bit smaller, but keep in mind, a "small" ship is still 3 football fields long.

me three!

We love the fascination; you need to manage your expectations, she is not a glitzy new ship, but we love the manageable size, the crew has always been terrific - I think there is some esprit de corps in the crew on a smaller ship.

One inside tip: there are two small outdoor dining balconies, aft facing outside the lido dining area. They are located through two small doors, one on each side, behind what was a bar and as I recall the pizza service area. Since they are a bit hard to find they are often very sparsely used the first couple of days, making for a very pleasant spot!

Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Javamom - I tried to send you a provate message, but don't know how - sorry! I am looking at a porthole room on the Fascination from San Juan in September. Can you tell me about that room type? I see it is very far forward - do you recommend a certain deck - I think they have availability on 4, 5, and 6.

Thanks for any help!

Colleen

Hi Javamom - I tried to send you a provate message, but don't know how - sorry! I am looking at a porthole room on the Fascination from San Juan in September. Can you tell me about that room type? I see it is very far forward - do you recommend a certain deck - I think they have availability on 4, 5, and 6.

Thanks for any help!

Colleen

Sadly, no PMs allowed at this forum, unlike many other forums.

We have a cruise booked on the fascination in Oct. 2017 and re having second thoughts after reading some of the reviews. Is it really that bad??????????????

AHOY SHIPMATES

I have 22 cruises on the Fascination and would take that many more if it ever returns to the USA east coast ($).

SEA YA

• 2 weeks later...

I saw you saying this on another thread, and I'm sure you're full of it. I just priced similar cruises between Carnival and Celebrity, and Celebrity was consistently $200 more for similar itinerary, same length, same dates. Other cruiselines were $3-400 more per person.

Lou: When I sailed Celebrity Summit solo in December, both times my total fare was $1000 -1100. The same dates on Carnival for a solo at the time I booked were $1150 - 1300. Except for hurricane season, Carnival has fares starting @ $689 for an inside in 2016.

If a couple books a balcony and gets the free drink pkg on Celebrity, their fare will be less than a couple buying a Cheers pkg to go with their Carnival balcony and they will be on a much nicer ship.

I realize price rules, and only wish cruisers would shop around some instead of blindly booking Carnival. They could save some bucks and experience a very different cruise style. The only thing that seemed totally the same between the 2 lines was the main pool activities, go figure.

AHOY SHIPMATES

I have 22 cruises on the Fascination and would take that many more if it ever returns to the USA east coast ($).

SEA YA

I think this is the best comment of all about Carnival and Fascination :)

Although I only had one cruise that was on Fascination, just about an hour ago while I was talking to a friend, I said "if it's the same ship, same itinerary, I'd go in a heart beat" ... also I think we lucked out with the crew on board!

The customer service over all was outstanding! (except one little incident that I mentioned in my review which will not affect my future decisions at all ... ).

I've sailed the Fascination 5 times or so when she was ported in Jacksonville. I WAS SO PISSED when they swapped her out for the Elation.

My wife and I sailed her in March/April and got the owners suite. Best cruise ever!

I think it's the perfect size, getting on the Magic on Saturday. Makes me a little nervous lol

• 1 month later...

Been sailing since i was in my teens in the late seventies. My husband and I are in our 50's and my daughters are in their 20's. We have sailed on almost every cruise line everywhere except Asia. Our most boring horrible expensive mistake was a celebrity cruise, twice. Since we are diamond crown and anchor with rccl that status transferred to celebrity and thought it would be as fun on celebrity. Nothing to do after 9pm. Bored stiff, carnival is fun, rccl and ncl fun, holland boring. Definitely choose carnival over celebrity, would have liked to book the rccl with the same itinerary but it was $1000 more. So,we,are sailing the fascination in February for a great deal and an amazing itinerary. We will have a great time without worrying if we will be bored.

Hkmom

My family and I sailed Fascination in January of this year out of Jacksonville. I had no problem with the ship itself, but thought that the food was mediocre at best.

I'm generally not too difficult to please, but by the second evening of our cruise I felt like I couldn't eat another bite from their kitchen. It reminded me of what you would expect from a Golden Corral.

This is just my opinion, and I don't mean it as a personal affront to those of you who like the food on the Fascination.

My family and I sailed Fascination in January of this year out of Jacksonville. I had no problem with the ship itself, but thought that the food was mediocre at best.

I'm generally not too difficult to please, but by the second evening of our cruise I felt like I couldn't eat another bite from their kitchen. It reminded me of what you would expect from a Golden Corral.

This is just my opinion, and I don't mean it as a personal affront to those of you who like the food on the Fascination.

Sorry to hear about your experience :( It's sad when you can't enjoy your meals when on vacation.

Since I'm not a pro-cruiser, and very limited all inclusive resort experience, my spouse and I thought it was just perfect.

But, mind you, although we're big in (specifically seafood) buffets in the US, we simply refused to dine at the buffet on Fascination (because of the food options), and only dined at the "your time" dining room where the menu choices were changing every night. And, every night was a real hit!

So, I'm trying to figure out now, did we lower our expectations so low that we were happy with whatever :D or they pulled their socks up, or it's a hit and miss thing one cruise is better than the other one etc ...

We're hoping to do another cruise (perhaps soon), but I want to clear up the worries, as for my spouse and I the food is very important ;)

The Fascination was my first cruise...and I was lucky to go on her a second time this year!

The staff is so, so incredible. Room stewards would always greet me by name and thoroughly clean twice a day. The dining staff was hilarious and would tell us jokes every night. The drink staff made delicious drinks and usually were smiling! One of my favorites would always have a mimosa ready for me while I was in the hot tub.

The boat still seems huge to me...even if it's one of the smallest. The waterslide is awesome! The nightclub was usually fun and played good music. I didn't eat a whole lot of buffet food, but room service was always good for a grilled cheese and chocolate cake. The dining room had food ranging from mediocre to wonderful...but we each got two different entrees every single night.

I really don't have a single bad thing to say about the Fascination!

Read this: It will put your fears to rest!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=49956735