Are Prices Higher This Year?

LEtue

I booked my August 2015 cruise in May last year at a very low price.

Not seeing the same deals this year - at least not yet. Wondering if Alaska is booking better this year and people are opting for this destination over Europe?

On a personal level with my family and friends, I've seen a greater interest to explore Alaska. Also, the NPS is celebrating its 100th Anniversary so there's a push to explore our national parks (of which Alaska is a great location for that).

Concerns about traveling abroad (security, Zika, etc) may have something to do with it as well with more people booking domestic trips. I know I'm looking forward to my Alaskan cruise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were one of those families that decided to go to Alaska instead of Europe this summer, mostly because of events happening there. I had already made hotel reservations and planned out our day trips. Thankfully I hadn't purchased air yet.

It was a pretty quick decision because side-by-side and adjoining cabins were selling out fast, so when we decided it was what we wanted to do, we booked it right away.

Yes, we're off to Norway in three weeks - we got a good deal. It will be interesting to compare the Norwegian Fjords to those in Alaska.

I found far more beauty in Alaska. :) A lot less wildlife. All the glaciers were minimal hanging. I had a cruise with all Norway, so the smaller visited ports were just a highlight. We also spent 3 days above the Arctic Circle. Does your itinerary happen to include that? If so, plan on at least one late night for yourself. Nothing like seeing the sunset and sun rise at the same time. :) Land of the midnight sun.

Cruises to Europe this summer are offering greater than normal deals. Tells it all.

That is the deal this season. I picked up a TA April 23 to Barcelona, where I got home from yesterday and I could have gotten several give away last minute deals. I would have jumped on them- IF I wasn't leaving for Alaska on Tuesday. :) I am anxious to return for another season, and will be looking at a few ships to see if they price dump after June 4 to add on to my trip. I've seen a few for the next week, so some are showing up.

I found far more beauty in Alaska. :) A lot less wildlife. All the glaciers were minimal hanging. I had a cruise with all Norway, so the smaller visited ports were just a highlight. We also spent 3 days above the Arctic Circle. Does your itinerary happen to include that? If so, plan on at least one late night for yourself. Nothing like seeing the sunset and sun rise at the same time. :) Land of the midnight sun.

Yes, ours is 11 nights and goes up to the North Cape. I hope we have clear days to see the sun. Last year in Fairbanks, it was overcast so while it never got dark, it was a little dreary at midnight.

Edited by mek

Yes, there are some great deals in Europe but the airfare is killing me :(

I figured interest may be up for Alaska this year and based on cabin availability there may not be many deals this year....

I figured interest may be up for Alaska this year and based on cabin availability there may not be many deals this year....

I just got back from Barcelona on Friday and there were multiple rock bottom cabins available on cruises coming up. I got there on a $301 fare- total+ daily service, ($250 savings with 2 cruise deposits on NCL) on the NCL Spirit- 14 days. It seems, they lost money with me.

I may take a look again in August with picking up some late booked Barcelona cruises as I do very much enjoy the Med.

I just got back from Barcelona on Friday and there were multiple rock bottom cabins available on cruises coming up. I got there on a $301 fare- total+ daily service, ($250 savings with 2 cruise deposits on NCL) on the NCL Spirit- 14 days. It seems, they lost money with me.

I may take a look again in August with picking up some late booked Barcelona cruises as I do very much enjoy the Med.

It is amazing isn't it? The prices for some of the cruises are so low! I also love the Med but hope to find a deal for Alaska eventually :)

If only I had more vacation time and frequent flyer miles!

Edited by LEtue

I've been looking at going back to Europe for a couple of years and the air has been hovering around $1,200 or more. :( A couple of weeks ago I found RT air from Cincinnati with only one connection,(within the US and NS flights to Copenhagen), for $860. What a deal!!!! That plus I was able to get a great price on the cabin I wanted along with free gratuities that RCI was offering, made me jump. Oh, and my favorite hotel in Copenhagen was available with my Marriott points. It's going to be a great trip!

Edited by mek

Our RCL Radiance cruise in the exact same cabin and the exact same time of the year

as last time, is twice the price we paid for it previously. Alaska is really getting

expensive, but still highly popular.

Agree, it may be easier to travel to a U.S. destination with that dramatic

scenery versus what is going on with international travel now. I like being able

to use my cell phone (plus the internet it offers) as a local call also. :)

Our RCL Radiance cruise in the exact same cabin and the exact same time of the year

as last time, is twice the price we paid for it previously. Alaska is really getting

expensive, but still highly popular.

Agree, it may be easier to travel to a U.S. destination with that dramatic

scenery versus what is going on with international travel now. I like being able

to use my cell phone (plus the internet it offers) as a local call also. :)

Hi Island Lady! I think I will be skipping Alaska this year but just booked the 9 night NB cruise on the Radiance for May 2017. A great itinerary and the price is reasonable - plus I can book my FF flights as soon as they open.

I haven't sailed RCI in Alaska but the Radiance sure gets good reviews :)

Hi Island Lady! I think I will be skipping Alaska this year but just booked the 9 night NB cruise on the Radiance for May 2017. A great itinerary and the price is reasonable - plus I can book my FF flights as soon as they open.

I haven't sailed RCI in Alaska but the Radiance sure gets good reviews :)

Well hello to you also!

We love the Radiance, plus all of her three sisters also. Not too big, not too small, lots

of windows. We think they are the "elegant" series of the fleet. :)

Well hello to you also!

We love the Radiance, plus all of her three sisters also. Not too big, not too small, lots

of windows. We think they are the "elegant" series of the fleet. :)

I like the Radiance class ships too!

Loved the Serenade in the Med and my cruises on the Briliance and Jewel in the Caribbean were also very nice :D

I like the Radiance class ships too!

Loved the Serenade in the Med and my cruises on the Briliance and Jewel in the Caribbean were also very nice :D

Agree with that! They are all beautiful ships and enjoyed each one also. :)

I've been looking at going back to Europe for a couple of years and the air has been hovering around $1,200 or more. :( A couple of weeks ago I found RT air from Cincinnati with only one connection,(within the US and NS flights to Copenhagen), for $860. What a deal!!!! That plus I was able to get a great price on the cabin I wanted along with free gratuities that RCI was offering, made me jump. Oh, and my favorite hotel in Copenhagen was available with my Marriott points. It's going to be a great trip!

Enjoy! It is so nice to have a great deal come to you :)

I booked airfare for my last Med trip (October 2015) in May and the price was $736 RT from Tampa to Rome with one stop each way in Phily. American and US Air were merging their websites and I think I caught a "glitch". The 9 night cruise on the Serenade was only $754 pp including all (booked on New Years Day on the Con website) so that trip turned out to be my great deal :D