Is a passport enough

lbfluffy

Do I need to bring my drivers license as well? I dropped it at Disneyland and am hoping it is found before my June 20th cruise. I know I can get another one, but I was going to see if perhaps maintenance finds it near one of the rides.

You did not say what itinerary you are on.

Athough a passport is all you need, it is often more convenient if you have a second government-issued photo id.

At many ports you need a government-issued photo id to get back into the secure area around the ship. This could be a passport book, a passport card, a drivers license, or some other id. If you do not have another government-issued photo id, then you will need to take your passport with you on shore (risking big problems if you lose it).

On some cruises, the ship will collect and hold your passport for some countries. In these cases, you could have a problem without another government-issued photo id.

What are you doing while you wait to see if Disneyland finds it and contacts you? Are you driving your car without your license? Not a great idea.

The state of California reminds drivers that it's illegal to drive without a license on your person. If you have yet to visit the DMV to apply for replacement and interim license—or if you're out of the state or country when you lose your license or ID—you should avoid driving completely, or you risk being pulled over and ticketed. However, if it's impossible to avoid driving, you may consider ordering a copy of your driving record and keeping it in your vehicle in case you're pulled over. Your driving record will show your current license status.

Like SadieN suggests, go to the DMV and get a replacement. There is no downside to this. It will cost $27. Go to this site and see how easy it is:

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/replace-license.php

No, you can't do it on line. You will have to go over to the DMV.

Do I need to bring my drivers license as well? I dropped it at Disneyland and am hoping it is found before my June 20th cruise. I know I can get another one, but I was going to see if perhaps maintenance finds it near one of the rides.

Call Disneyland daily. Lost and found items get turned in all day as employees end their shifts or everything at the end of the day. There are two (or maybe three) Lost and Founds so getting items to the main one could take a day or two. Never more then that if an employee found it. There is always the do-gooder that found it and instead of turning it in is going to mail it to you themselves.

If they find it they will mail it to you at no cost as long as you claim it. Any government issued ID will work as a second ID if needed. Remember that includes a library card, school ID or work if you work for the government. Think outside the box.

XBGuy - how in the world did you decide he was driving without a license and needed to be lectured on his doing so? My DH hardly ever drives so if he misplaced his DL for a month it wouldn't be that big of a deal, unless say: he was going on a cruise and wanted to use it as a second ID.

A passport is a Federal ID; it trumps everything!

A passport is a Federal ID; it trumps everything!

I once entered Port Everglades, and showed a passport.

The rent-a-cop said that since I was driving, I had to show a drivers

license.

I think he was wrong, but it was pretty clear I had to do it his

way, or I wasn't going to pass.

Getting a replacement now will also relieve stressing about carrying your passport around in Alaska (though you will need your passport as ID if you go into the Yukon in Skagway). Aside from needing it now when you drive, you may need a photo ID for certain credit card purchases as more stores are confirming the card ownership before processing a charge. Good luck - and enjoy Alaska!

As others have stated a passport is all you need.

We do not carry our passports off the ship (before I get flamed on this) one of the reasons for this is we like to do water activities. The drivers license is much easier to carry, to keep on you, and its waterproof.

We use waterproof pouches that tie into our bathing suits and if they would happen to leak its no big deal. The passport on the other hand will be ruined if it would get wet. On a beach one person would have to stay and safeguard them while everyone else is having fun in the water.

Just me two cents.

Take care,

Vinnie

I once entered Port Everglades, and showed a passport.

The rent-a-cop said that since I was driving, I had to show a drivers

license.

I think he was wrong, but it was pretty clear I had to do it his

way, or I wasn't going to pass.

If you were driving perhaps! he was wrong. I've never had to show anything but my passport where ever I've cruised out of. If you weren't driving, he was wrong, period.

I don't carry a DL with me (unless, of course, I intend to drive). You will need your passport going into Canada.

I had a laminated copy of our passports made to avoid the risks associated with having them lost/stolen in port, or getting wet.

Notentirelynormal has brought me to my senses.

I apologize, ibfluffy.

For those who do regularly drive, I can report this incident. I had a professional associate who, when stopped for some infraction, could not produce his license for the officer. He had a brain fade and left his wallet at home. It's really no big deal. He received a second citation, which came with no sanction other than he had to take it to the courthouse and show his license, there. (Maybe you could take it to AAA.) Just another annoying task that nobody needs.

Now, I guess I have to apologize for thread drift. So be it.

If you were driving perhaps! he was wrong. I've never had to show anything but my passport where ever I've cruised out of. If you weren't driving, he was wrong, period.

He had no lawful reason to request my driver's license, as

he wasn't a sworn law enforcement officer.

It's a violation of the Driver's Privacy Protection Act.

Explaining this to a rent-a-cop would be like showing a card-trick

to a dog.