Venice - DIY or Guided?

Two from Virginia

We will be in Venice overnight on August 3rd and 4th. Does anyone recommend a guided tour or is it sufficient to do a "DIY"? Is there a "down time" for touring St Mark's Basicillca? Any restaurants you would recommend? Also, is there any "free" music places in the evening? If so, where? Thanks.

Like the others have said, do it yourself. No need in Venice to waste money on hiring a guide to interpret what you are seeing. Venice is one of the place where you must just walk, get lost, find a little treasure, do some cichetti. If you want/must go inside St. Marks, buy the ticket in advance so you do not have to waste time in a line. If you are interested in some of the tourist offerings, no one will stop you. But, you don't need a tour to "do" Venice.

I would just wander and as they said above just get lost in Venice. We were there for the first time a few weeks ago and did just that. I can't see spending money for a tour, but that is just my opinion.

I just flew on United Airlines this past weekend, and their inflight magazine each month has an article entitled "Three Perfect Days in..." For May, the city is Venice. It's a nice article. I took the magazine home with me and might try to go to a few of the places they mention, although I'll only be there for one day. Far too short.

--Michael

Edited by numberguy

We had a great day in Venice two days ago with the help of Cruise Critic, TripAdvisor 'things to do' and Google maps. Even with our planned out route we still needed to factor in 'getting lost' time. It will happen, but adds to the fun of Venice. For me the benefit of a guide would be out-weighed by having to tour already busy locations with a group.

We were shocked to find that St. Mark's had no queue at around 3 p.m., so walked straight in. We had pre-booked on an previous trip.

I do not like getting lost, so I got a tourist map and followed the signs and had no problem finding my way around. It is islands joined by bridges and is very easy. The vaparettos stop where you need to go

The "street" signs are up on the sides of the buildings. Many places, there are also signs up on the building pointing the way to "San Marcos" or "Rialto", etc. I found myself one time at a corner where there were two signs on the wall for San Marcos, both pointing in different directions!!! Loved it! Reminded me of my neighborhood, where we have a loop road and there is an intersection of A Street and A Street...

Yes, signs are on the buildings. If you stick to these main routes and follow the signs and your maps, you will not get lost. We did not get lost. Agreed about Burano and Murano. If you take the entire route of the vaparetto, you get a great tour

Here is one tip though, bring some cash with you. I had to beg for money in Venice...

True story. I was wandering and needed to use the restroom (too far to the cruise ship) but was a 1/2 Euro short. :o

Here is one tip though, bring some cash with you. I had to beg for money in Venice...

True story. I was wandering and needed to use the restroom (too far to the cruise ship) but was a 1/2 Euro short. :o

Funny story! :D

My worst nightmare is getting caught in a place without public restrooms.

You can pre-purchase "potty passes" for Venice too. And while we're on the subject, it's not a bad idea to carry some TP and hand sanitizer with you.

Edited by sippican

There are music places right in San Marco Square in the evening. They are in front of restaurants. I don't think a guided tour is a waste of money if you appreciate to learn things without having to study a book. Not everyone enjoys wandering around aimlessly especially when there is history involved

If you have Rick Steves' guide, you can diy and get the history. DD was in Venice in March and says it is totally doable on your own. It's one of the few places we will be taking in on our own on our upcoming Med cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are music places right in San Marco Square in the evening. They are in front of restaurants. I don't think a guided tour is a waste of money if you appreciate to learn things without having to study a book. Not everyone enjoys wandering around aimlessly especially when there is history involved

Reminder to people about those "music places": You will be charged an excessive amount of money to sit at these places - think 6EU each for a seat and then 8EU for a bottle of water or 10EU for a hot chocolate. It can be fun, but just be aware in advance that it will NOT be cheap.

I wander aimlessly even when history is involved. But, then, I don't try to cram every site into a one day "European Vacation" scenario (and I DO know Rusty!!!). Part of my fun is to research what is in the area, pick one or two things that I must see. By knowing why I am seeing in advance, I feel that I can appreciate it much more. I'm a sociologist by schooling, so I am very interested in the cultural and geographical sociology of where I am going. I also very much enjoy wandering, watching the locals going about their day, running into some little treasures that are not included in the typical tourist track tour. I love the dynamics of a community and how they can change very quickly with a block or two. I love knowing how the women of the particular time were involved in the community.

To each his/her own.

Who says you have to sit to enjoy the music? You can enjoy the music standing and watching. I love art. I loved learning about the Eastern Influence on Venice. It is all around. I don't want to have my nose in a book learning about what I am looking at. That is when a guide comes in handy. Yes to each their own. I really find the tourist comments here on Cruise Critic unnecessary. Aren't all Cruisers considered tourists? lol

Who says you have to sit to enjoy the music? You can enjoy the music standing and watching. I love art. I loved learning about the Eastern Influence on Venice. It is all around. I don't want to have my nose in a book learning about what I am looking at. That is when a guide comes in handy. Yes to each their own. I really find the tourist comments here on Cruise Critic unnecessary. Aren't all Cruisers considered tourists? lol

I just wanted to be sure people were forewarned about sitting there- some will do it and then complain about being ripped off.

My nose isn't in a book when I'm traveling - it is taking in the scents of the area. My eyes aren't in a book - they are gazing at what I am in front of. My mind is not wandering aimlessly - it is engaged in remembering what I read about what I am looking at.

Not all cruisers are tourists. Some are travelers ;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/14/signs-youre-a-traveler_n_4235329.html

Slidergirl, I love your comments about the way you travel. I like the idea of Rick Steves being on audio for those who want to take in history while they explore. I'm more of a people watcher and a scene-absorber. Whether you call yourself a traveller or a tourist, it's all the same. Drinking in a place in your own way is what matters most, especially on a cruise. On a cruise you are only anywhere but briefly. You can hardly get more than a glimpse so it best be enjoyed in the way that give you the greatest pleasure!

Slidergirl, I love your comments about the way you travel. I like the idea of Rick Steves being on audio for those who want to take in history while they explore. I'm more of a people watcher and a scene-absorber. Whether you call yourself a traveller or a tourist, it's all the same. Drinking in a place in your own way is what matters most, especially on a cruise. On a cruise you are only anywhere but briefly. You can hardly get more than a glimpse so it best be enjoyed in the way that give you the greatest pleasure!

I'm not one to join any tour unless it is absolutely necessary for something that I have picked to see. I maybe have a more negative view of a "tourist" do to some of the truly poor behavior I've seen from those in any size group over the years. The area around the Pantheon in Rome has turned into a nasty parking lot for all those mini-vans and private cars that people use to get the most items checked off their "must see" list. I really turned away from liking tourists when I had some idiot in one of those tour cars that stopped at curb throw open his car door to run out to get to Trevi Fountain ( a few blocks away) without looking, knocking into me (the door, not the idiot) on the sidewalk. I understand that some people will only be in some of these ports for a few hours in their entire life, but that does not excuse boorish behavior. I dread what Cinque Terre (one of my favorite places in Italy) will become with all the cruise ships now stopping in La Spezia. Venice is overrun with tourists, always has been. At least it doesn't have tour busses/vans. But, the canals are congested. I have a co-worker who used to work at one of the hotels in Venice - he said it has gotten worse with the congestion of tourists in the past few years; one of the reasons he left.

I'm a church freak; I will dive into a church (or mosque, if permitted) anywhere on a moment's notice and spend time.

Edited by slidergirl

You don't have to "have your nose in a book" (speaking of unnecessary comments) to learn about what you are looking at. Some of us enjoy researching and reading about things before we go. No need to read it on the spot. Or, if you are like me, you may read a few short notes that inspire you and make you think about what you are seeing in a new way, then spend as much time as needed to let whatever it is sink in....

I have yet to take a tour anywhere where I retained as much information just from hearing a guide tell me some things as I have from reading and researching it on my own.

I am not saying you are one of them, but a great many people rely on a guide and do little or no preparation. I have often met people over dinner who were quick to tell me about their wonderful private tour or guide, but then could not even name all the places they visited or things seen. :cool:

I've even done "backwards research". I'll come across something that catches my fancy and spend time there. When I get home, I'll look up where the place what and what interesting facts were available. Sometimes, it's fun to me to do that and say "gosh, so THAT is where Yada Yada did yada yada to yada yada"…