MdDS Mal de Débarquement Syndrome

loretta5ue

So far I have taken 2, 7 day cruises and have returned with the feeling like I'm still on the ship.

I don't get motion sick onboard, just after I'm traveling or at port when I'm not moving.

I'm told this is MdDS (by an ENT MD)... I'd really like to find something to lessen the severity of my symptoms when I return from my next 5 day cruise or I may have to give up on cruising.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you do anything for it? How long do your symptoms last. (Mine last 2 weeks for a 7 day cruise.)

http://www.mddsfoundation.org/understanding-mdds/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Post cruise I took OTC motion sickness meds as I discussed with my ENT and PA friends. Unfortunately it didn't stop the rocking.

My primary care Dr gave me an RX for dizziness to try the next time I have symptoms- I get symptoms of airplanes and amusement park rides too.

For the cruise we are thinking about taking patches during and after.

... Does anyone else have this problem? Do you do anything for it? How long do your symptoms last. (Mine last 2 weeks for a 7 day cruise.)...

We used to have it for about a week after the cruise. After so many cruises, we don't get it anymore.

A big problem with "land sickness" is sinus or ear canal blockage. Motion sickness is caused when the signals sent to the brain from the eyes does not match the signals sent to the brain from the fluid in the inner ear, which is what gives us our sense of balance. Any congestion or blockage in these passages can cause the fluid to have trapped pressure (like when flying with a cold), and the motion induced by the ship continues in the inner ear. Try decongestants.

After many years of traveling and cruising with no problems-in Sep. 2011 we took a New England/Canada cruise and it was an pretty bumpy and rough cruise. I was extremely sleep deprived and tired on this cruise for some reason and when we got home I just could not get my land-legs back. Usually I feel rocking for maybe a couple of days after a flight or cruise, but not this time. The rocking and rolling feeling lasted six full months and then one morning I woke up and it was gone. I never talked to a doctor about my symptoms, but did check out the web for what I possibly had. Mal de De'barquement syndrome was what I decided I had. We planned another overseas trip/Med. Cruise for that summer and since my land-legs were back, I never gave it another thought. I had no further problems after this trip, so I thought maybe it was never going to happen again. Fast forward to the next summer and we took a two week tour of Scotland and Ireland. It was a very active tour with numerous hotel changes, bus trips, ferry trips, and an extremely tiring trip overall. We got home and low and behold, my land-legs have not come back since. This was three years ago in June! We have taken many trips since then(land trips and cruises), but symptoms are still with me! I had to visit my ENT a couple of years ago and mentioned my symptoms of Mal de De'barquement and he looked at me like I was crazy. Said he did not know what I was talking about, but would be glad to test me for dizziness, even when I told him it was not vertigo! Decided I would just ride it out on my own! It is extremely frustrating to read of no cures for this illness, but I have not let it slow me down. Some days are worse than others, with it effecting my ability to concentrate or focus clearly. Most times I just kinda laugh it off and tell my husband that I would love to get off this rocky cruise, but it is just a huge pain in the butt! I am so glad that I don't work anymore, because I am not sure how it would effect my working skills(I am a retire x-ray tech)! I always check the internet to see if any new treatment possibilities are available-have tried the exercises, etc. Maybe one day soon I will just wake up and it will be gone like it was last time!

I've had that on some trips...but not on others! Mainly feel it in enclosed spaces, like the shower or a closet....don't know why that is! I just know it WILL go away, so I ignore it!

I know that with some people it is temporary, but with some it is not and can last for years. Mine lasted 6 months first time and now going on for 3 years this time. It is a real problem and hard to ignore when having for an extended period of time! LOL, but doesn't stop me from traveling!

My youngest DS is fine with motion in general, no car sickness, no issues with thrill rides, but ever since his first cruise he will be so off-balance, rocking and nauseous from it he will be physically sick for at least 48 hours afterwards, with the feelings for 3-4 weeks afterwards. So not fun when you find this out with a 4 yr old!

His 2nd cruise we also flew in, but scheduled 2 days afterwards for him to get over it.

His last 2 cruises, we found the key for him! Instead of these being 3 generation family vacations (no way I would have paid for airfare myself even with very young ones if their great grandma didn't insist we fly, so she had to pay for it!) we drove. Lo and behold, my son was perfectly fine!

For him the key is being able to sit in one place, but see the motion of the car moving. If we ever have to fly for a cruise with him again (aka not leaving somewhere with-in a 2 day drive from us), I will be scheduling at least 48 hours and a rental car before we come home.

If you have the time even I would think one of the after tours to the airport might be better than nothing to just stare out at the passing land. This might also not work for everyone, but seeing how miserable my son gets with it? I would be willing to try almost anything :D

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you do anything for it? How long do your symptoms last. (Mine last 2 weeks for a 7 day cruise.)

I have this problem. Worse after some cruises than others. Once it lasted about 2.5 weeks, and was so bad I couldn't walk at times. Other times, I've had no mal de d post-cruise. What I've found is that doing anything that involves moving my head (like shoulder-checking while driving) makes it worse. If I can avoid long flights, and avoid driving for a couple of days when I return home, I seem to get a less-awful case of it. But, I don't get to cruise enough to do any kind of scientific study on what may or may not make it worse for me ;)

My youngest DS is fine with motion in general, no car sickness, no issues with thrill rides, but ever since his first cruise he will be so off-balance, rocking and nauseous from it he will be physically sick for at least 48 hours afterwards, with the feelings for 3-4 weeks afterwards. So not fun when you find this out with a 4 yr old!

His 2nd cruise we also flew in, but scheduled 2 days afterwards for him to get over it.

His last 2 cruises, we found the key for him! Instead of these being 3 generation family vacations (no way I would have paid for airfare myself even with very young ones if their great grandma didn't insist we fly, so she had to pay for it!) we drove. Lo and behold, my son was perfectly fine!

For him the key is being able to sit in one place, but see the motion of the car moving. If we ever have to fly for a cruise with him again (aka not leaving somewhere with-in a 2 day drive from us), I will be scheduling at least 48 hours and a rental car before we come home.

If you have the time even I would think one of the after tours to the airport might be better than nothing to just stare out at the passing land. This might also not work for everyone, but seeing how miserable my son gets with it? I would be willing to try almost anything :D

Take a look at the Epley maneuver (google or wiki). It seems to help a lot of people with this type of problem.

Would it not be wise to contact a medical professional for advice?

The Epley maneuver is usually performed by medical professionals (doctors and chiropractors), and is a pretty well known procedure. It can also be done at home by following specific instructions.

Only been on one cruise so far, and like you I didn't get seasick on the ship, but I had land sickness afterwards that last 3 weeks. It was worst in small spaces like the bathroom. I didn't take anything for it as it didn't really make me sick per se, it just felt very, very weird. I chalk it up to the fact that I clearly belong out on the ocean and should therefore take as many cruises as possible. [emoji4]

Edited by bakersdozen12

What you're feeling is not at all uncommon.

My internist told me many years ago that taking any meds for it could very well prolong the feeling. Your body simply needs to adjust to the lack of motion. Normally, it goes away in about a week. :)

So far I have taken 2, 7 day cruises and have returned with the feeling like I'm still on the ship.

I don't get motion sick onboard, just after I'm traveling or at port when I'm not moving.

I'm told this is MdDS (by an ENT MD)... I'd really like to find something to lessen the severity of my symptoms when I return from my next 5 day cruise or I may have to give up on cruising.

http://www.mddsfoundation.org/understanding-mdds/

i do a few things. i really really really tend to my sinus/ear health. i have allergies at home but i only tend to them at their worst. on a cruise i keep up all the irrigation and rx nose sprays etc. i also wear a patch - all that said, i still feel it for a few days after cruising, but it is not severe.

the only exception for this is when i took a small boat around cape horn. the seas were so extreme i had it terribly for 6 weeks.

good luck!

i do a few things. i really really really tend to my sinus/ear health. i have allergies at home but i only tend to them at their worst. on a cruise i keep up all the irrigation and rx nose sprays etc. i also wear a patch - all that said, i still feel it for a few days after cruising, but it is not severe.

the only exception for this is when i took a small boat around cape horn. the seas were so extreme i had it terribly for 6 weeks.

good luck!

Your allergy symptoms seem like mine so I hope the patch works.