Northern Lights in mid-August?

crazycruzer68

It's on my bucket list, so I really hope to see them

Assuming you are traveling to Alaska? If you are doing a cruise/land tour, you're chances are increased the further north you are, say in Fairbanks.

The port areas are mostly too far south. Unless there is some extraordinary sun plasma ejection activity, you probably have a 10% chance of seeing anything resembling an aurora.

We did a week pre-cruise in Denali, Fairbanks, and a side-trip all the way up to to Barrow in August and thought we might have a shot at seeing the Northern Lights. The problem is by the time you get far enough North, in the summertime you run out of darkness. In August we had only a couple of hours of darkness in Fairbanks and none in Barrow.

Fairbanks is a good place to see the aurora, but you need to go during Winter months.

We did a week pre-cruise in Denali, Fairbanks, and a side-trip all the way up to to Barrow in August and thought we might have a shot at seeing the Northern Lights. The problem is by the time you get far enough North, in the summertime you run out of darkness. In August we had only a couple of hours of darkness in Fairbanks and none in Barrow.

Fairbanks is a good place to see the aurora, but you need to go during Winter months.

I was in Fairbanks in August 2 yrs ago during a period of heavy sunspots, and the Princess Hotel had a wake up list - we signed on, but didn't get a call. The next day on an excursion, we heard chatter about the aurora being visible for maybe 10 or 15 minutes after 2am, but we didn't get a call from the desk and slept through it.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to go back north. Maybe Norway, where I might have a chance of seeing the real Santa Claus too.

Edited by evandbob

The Northern Lights are a winter event, I grew up in Anchorage and saw them all the time. Usually see them on cold clear winter nights. Of course the further north you go and the further away from lights the more spectacular they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I live in Anchorage, Alaska. As a previous poster said there is still too much light further north (even for Anchorage) but it's possible in southeast Alaska towards the end of August and into September. We usually start seeing them in Anchorage late September or into October.

I saw the northern lights in Fairbanks on August 30 1999 before my cruise on Princess. It was close to 1 am and still fairly light outside. Someone later told me that if there is increased sun flares you might see them.

Something I will always remember for the rest of my life as awsome

If it is that important, go to Fairbanks in January - March. Your odds are much better. I did and got to see 5 days of intense aurora. Definitely worth the trip.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We saw a wonderful display of Aurora late last August from our ship at sea south of Ketchikan. I suggest keeping an eye on the Aurora Forecast, (link below), some of the tourism offices in port will also have it posted. As others have mentioned they are unusual in the summer months in that part of Alaska, but do not give up hope, we didn't. We knew from the forecast there was a slight chance so checked the northern sky every night before bed and were rewarded on the final night in Alaska.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

Highly unlikely but it can happen. Just last week they were sighted from Squamish, BC which is about half way between Vancouver and Whistler.

Would this have been visible from a cruise ship in Southeast Alaska, perhaps?

The Forecast mentioned there might be visibility low on the horizon, and 'at sea' should give a low horizon...

If there is a chance, we'd wait up (or set alarms) to watch very late, when it is finally dark.

Thanks!

When my priority is aurora- you can't just, stagger awake, look out the window for a few minutes then think you are going to get lucky. Aurora- first- comes and goes, you can have viewing all night or it can be in 15 minute spurts. You have to invest time- BUT first- look up, if you can't see stars, then forget it and go back to bed. :)

I invest 2 weeks with an aurora trip, in my case. I want at least 1 success.

Another factor- there is a BIG difference between mid August and late August. What you will find are very abrupt changes going into the fall, daylight to about 9p- 3rd week of August, but dark by 7p second week of Sept.

The prediction web site above is "necessary", to check daily for the information. You have less success the farther out you go with the information being accurate.

I live in Anchorage, Alaska. As a previous poster said there is still too much light further north (even for Anchorage) but it's possible in southeast Alaska towards the end of August and into September. We usually start seeing them in Anchorage late September or into October.

The problem with viewing in SE AK in late summer is it's usually raining every single day. Cloud cover isn't conducive.

Would this have been visible from a cruise ship in Southeast Alaska, perhaps?

The Forecast mentioned there might be visibility low on the horizon, and 'at sea' should give a low horizon...

If there is a chance, we'd wait up (or set alarms) to watch very late, when it is finally dark.

Thanks!

As I said, it is highly unlikely but not impossible. Would it be worthwhile setting an alarm clock, frankly for me , no. But if I had to get up during the night I would certainly peer out the window....just in case.