O life promotion

sexyaznboy

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of taking my mom on an Oceania cruise for her birthday, first time on Oceania. We are frugal cruisers :)

I really am interested in the free internet plus bonus promotion, but have a few questions, was thinking about the Barcelona to Lisbon 7 day. Anyone who has some insights would be greatly appreciated.

1) compared to the regular cruise lines do you feel that is worth the upgrade? I was quoted 2599 US which is about 3300 Canadian from where I am including flight. I see other cruises for 7 days run about 2300 Canadian.

2) if we get the 300 USD credit though we can apply it to our gratuities, 600 USD seems really good, we are not drinkers and would not get the package...or...

3) should we get the 3 free tours? I am having a hard time checking the prices on tours but I hear they are about 100 each. Is the 3 tours total or 3 each for the two of us? It would be strange to have 3 total as we can only go on one and pay for another to take another one.

4) speaking to a travel agent he said the chances of an upgrade to balcony is very high from an inside guarantee which would be great as it seems the price difference is pretty huge, but is this true? He also said there are 4 free specialty dining a as part of the promo but I understand all specialty dining is included already?

I'm sure I come across as a cheapskate and for those on board who are sophisticated travelers, forgive my naive questions! Thanks!

Edited by sexyaznboy

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of taking my mom on an Oceania cruise for her birthday, first time on Oceania. We are frugal cruisers :)

I really am interested in the free internet plus bonus promotion, but have a few questions, was thinking about the Barcelona to Lisbon 7 day. Anyone who has some insights would be greatly appreciated.

1) compared to the regular cruise lines do you feel that is worth the upgrade? I was quoted 2599 US which is about 3300 Canadian from where I am including flight. I see other cruises for 7 days run about 2300 Canadian.

2) if we get the 300 USD credit though we can apply it to our gratuities, 600 USD seems really good, we are not drinkers and would not get the package...or...

3) should we get the 3 free tours? I am having a hard time checking the prices on tours but I hear they are about 100 each. Is the 3 tours total or 3 each for the two of us? It would be strange to have 3 total as we can only go on one and pay for another to take another one.

4) speaking to a travel agent he said the chances of an upgrade to balcony is very high from an inside guarantee which would be great as it seems the price difference is pretty huge, but is this true? He also said there are 4 free specialty dining a as part of the promo but I understand all specialty dining is included already?

I'm sure I come across as a cheapskate and for those on board who are sophisticated travelers, forgive my naive questions! Thanks!

You would get 3 excursions each :)

Not sure about the upgrade, in six Oceania cruises we've never been offered an upgrade :(

Maybe as a North American guest you may have more chance of one.

Edited by Glenndale

Yes we think O is worth the extra price they do have some specials that give Canadian cruisers a discount to help offset the exchange rates

YES but if you shop around you can find a TA that will give you the gratuities for booking with them

I would join the roll call & see if people have arranged private tours usually a better price & smaller group

With Oceania the price includes the specialty restaurants all non alcoholic drinks this is something the mainstream line charge extra for

smaller ships with less people is also a bonus for us

Upgrades & upsells can happen but my not

My advice is pick a cabin Cat that you would be happy with

choose a cabin location right from the start then you know where you are sleeping

A GTY booking you could end up in a location that might not be suitable ..

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

OBC may be used for gratuities. Specialty restaurants are no additional charge but reservations can be challenging, especially for tables for 2. We cruise frequently and the food is the best I've ever had. Waves Grill, the poolside "snack bar," has steak and lobster on the menu every day.

Is it worth it? That depends upon what is important to you. The ships are far smaller than most, almost all incidentals are included, and the beds and service are outstanding. Oceania has a quiet, reserved yet refined atmosphere. If you can be flexible and travel on 6 to 8 weeks notice the deals tend to get better.

Quote "was thinking about the Barcelona to Lisbon 7 day. Anyone who has some insights would be greatly appreciated."

If you are looking at Riviera for this year, I think your odds of getting an upgrade or upsell are good. Just came back from a 7day Athens to Athens and lots of people got reasonable upsell offers and talked to one couple that had an inside guarantee and got a Concierge cabin for no extra cost.

If you are looking at next year, who knows? This year, the Med has had a lot of good deals.

The value for the money is beyond good.... and in considering what you get , that on the mass market lines you pay and pay for every thing. Only Liquor on O. Plus the quality of food, the fellow passengers and a classy ship with 1100-1200 is nicer than the 3000-5000 mas market ships

You do not need a balcony waste of money because of the port intensive nature. and no view at night...

You get the internet, and either the 300 OR the Shore tours NOT both Take the money any you each have $180 to spend... BUT if the $300 each is "Onboard funds" then that CAN NOT be spent off the ship...

Your agent, unless he is rep a group wont give you gratuities.. 7 day is pretty inexpensive and he dosent make much 7 days will cost you about $116 gratuities each

If your non drinkers.. total non drinkers fine. If you do decide to have a glass of wine expect to spend $10-15 per glass with gratuity

I am seriously surprised your agent did not tell you in detail about the ship and its features and included things. Sounds like he was not all that informed or just didnt care...or both. Next time look for a better agent on the ship....ask fellow passengers...

thanks everyone for the fast responses!

It is difficult to see how much the tours are but if we get 3 of them each it might be worth looking into.

My mom and I are inside cabin people, we don't mind at all, but certainly wouldn't turn down an upgrade. I was reading on line about all the recent Norovirus outbreaks (3 of them in the past year!) and wonder what is going on with Riviera. I also wonder if a lot of people have cancelled who are worried that this ship seems to attract this bug and that is why there might not be a full ship and hence upgrades. What are the chances that someone in the crew on board are causing this and it will happen again?

We've done Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity and by far we've loved Celebrity. I would like to take her on a nicer ship for her birthday though.

My mom and I prefer dining alone, I gather table's for two will be difficult to find both in the main dining and specialty dining? Especially if I am booking so close (its 7 weeks or so to the trip). We both are not picky about food but do like the idea of inclusive specialty restaurants and the non-alcoholic beverages. Yes we will probably get some wine on the birthday but otherwise its not important that we drink!

Thanks again everyone, I've always really appreciated the kind advice from my fellow Cruise Critic members! :)

My mom and I prefer dining alone, I gather table's for two will be difficult to find both in the main dining and specialty dining? Especially if I am booking so close (its 7 weeks or so to the trip). We both are not picky about food but do like the idea of inclusive specialty restaurants and the non-alcoholic beverages. Yes we will probably get some wine on the birthday but otherwise its not important that we drink!)

My husband and I have never had a problem getting a table for two in the GDR. Maybe that's because we prefer to share! It can indeed be different in the specialty restaurants but if can be not-too-choosy about the time you should be able to get them. You can book online at a certain date before departure or you can wait until you board. They do not give out every seat to the online bookers.

Mura

To OP - a few comments about Oceania.

IMO, if you loved Celebrity, you will really love Oceania. I think that Oceania would be a special treat for both of you - especially for your mom for her birthday. Especially so if you prefer a "refined" cruise ship atmosphere to a party cruise ship.

A table for 2 in the MDR is no problem at all - especially if dining early.

A table for 2 in the specialties may be a bit more tricky at this point but not impossible if flexible with dinner time. You can book online what is available now and try to change once onboard.

Most excursions are in the neighborhood of $150. Thus picking 3 of the more expensive "regular" excursions (up to $199) would be most cost effective.

The true upgrades are rare, though not impossible. More often they offer upsells at a better price than it would cost to buy that higher category.

If you have other specific questions, ask away.

If you are really giving us a true picture of what the travel agent said -- I would see big red flags. Buy the cabin that most meets your needs! The biggest source of complaint is that people buy a small cheap cabin and then wonder why they were not assigned to a large cabin in the brochure. I have sailed over 20 days in Oceania R ships. The insides on them are pretty small and you would need to have the twin configuration which means you are both up against the wall with the 2 dressers in the middle. Not uncomfortable but pretty friendly with the wall during the night. Hubby does not like inside so we usually go up a level to oceanview for natural daylight. Oceania does have good food -- and we often chose to eat in the MDR rather than specialty restaurants which we thought tended to be very long dinners -- not because of service but because of dining mates who took forever over wine and olive oil etc. Just our own preference. The food in the MDR is as good as most cruise lines specialty dining. Excursions tend to be more expensive on O but they are also less crowded -- not every seat is taken. Entertainment is very low key and most shows are in showrooms that are more suited to bar lounges -- meaning rather hard to see and seating --not enough for all. Your Mom if older will probably appreciate that the ships are smaller and less walking. Big ships have to go to the shipping ports and O can get in closer-- sometimes. Crew is very nice but I find most crews wonderful if you treat them like humans! Flights -- I would do my own. I have never NOT gotten a much better flight and more pleasing to me *my time/airline/city combos/timing) at a lower cost than the tickets offered by cruiseline air. Be sure to leave at least a day or two for Barcelona -- great city and very interesting with good art and good food and great walking areas. Cruise air section of Cruise Critic has a sticky at the top that explains cruise air and alternatives.

Is O worth it? Yes especially if you get a good deal. I think I would look at having some other travel agent -- one who specializes in O-- knows the ships and itineraries. Many are on-line that you can choose from. My travel agent has literally saved me thousands over the 20 years. But be real! If the deal is too good to be true (suite for price of inside "almost" guaranteed) then be alert. You study the deck plans -- pick where you want to be (for Mom near midships and elevator has advantages.). O costs a bit more but there is value. O costs more but I love the soap in the cabin and the pillows on the bed and the great itineraries. Only you can tell if this is value for YOUR trip.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Awesome! Thanks, great advice again.

I think I will go for it. I was thinking that it might be too expensive but with the obc and free internet which I would have gotten anyways, I am saving some money. I think I will try To go to the roll calls and see if there are last minute tours people have booked and do the OBC. It'll help me pay the gratuities. I can appeal to the TA to see if he is willing to cover this for us but not holding my breath, I think the specialty dining may be a challenge now but I'll try anyways to book the 4 allowed. As for the upgrade, I'm not going to get too excited, if it happens great, if not, we are used to the small cabins, but hoping for a special treat for my mom's birthday! As for smaller ship, I am a bit concerned there won't be much to do on board but it is port intensive so I'll probably only use the gym to work off the food! :)

I do have a feeling that the Europe itineraries haven't been full and with the Norovirus scares, I suspect some people have cancelled and maybe the ship isn't full. I will let you all know how it goes, seems the price has gone down from 2799 USD to 2599 USD for GTY. I'll take my chances hope I'm lucky. I suspect they may want to get rid of some of the remaining cabins now at the last minute and most people will have booked by now. Wish me luck! Thanks again! :D

Thanks for everyone's insight to my questions.

I just booked today and happy with the price, it may be a bit more expensive than your usual cruiseline, but from 2799 USD in the brochure for 7 days, it was originally offered at 2599 USD by the TA. I tried to convince him to please please please cover our gratuities but no go, but he did bring it down to 2540 USD (every bit counts when you are converting from Canadian dollars!). With that free unlimited internet and we chose the 600 USD OBC instead of the tours, the value would have been there for the tours, but I'm not sure I want to go on 3 tours. So we will pay gratuities and maybe shuttle bus back, will probably order a bottle or two of wine,that 600 probably won't last too long ;) I was looking on line and could not find another better price, and we use the same TA all the time and trust them, so I can't guarantee that someone else in Toronto would have gotten us a better package. Cruise prices seem to have gone up in the past year, seem like even a Caribbean cruise on a regular ship runs about 2000 with flight.

So after Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity now we are trying something new, and excited to compare the O experience to the others!

Thanks again for everyone's time and kindness in responding.

Hope you enjoy your Oceania cruise

The OBC will cover the gratuities with enough left over for drinks etc...

Was your cruise one of the ones that have the discount for Canadians? if so even better for you

Next time shop around there are TA's that offer the gratuities as part of their booking incentives

Enjoy

Lyn

Hope you enjoy your Oceania cruise

The OBC will cover the gratuities with enough left over for drinks etc...

Was your cruise one of the ones that have the discount for Canadians? if so even better for you

Next time shop around there are TA's that offer the gratuities as part of their booking incentives

Enjoy

Lyn

Thanks Lyn! :) I tried my best to get the gratuities covered, but no go and I don't know where else to go, we've cruised with one company for 13 years. But at least he decreased the price by 59 each which is like half our gratuities...

And I did ask him if our cruise was one of the Canadian discount ones, sadly no. But happy for the OBC and the internet which is about 20 bucks a day.

Thanks Lyn! :) I tried my best to get the gratuities covered, but no go and I don't know where else to go, we've cruised with one company for 13 years. But at least he decreased the price by 59 each which is like half our gratuities...

And I did ask him if our cruise was one of the Canadian discount ones, sadly no. But happy for the OBC and the internet which is about 20 bucks a day.

too bad not on the discount list maybe next time ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

You might be in big trouble :D

There is a distinct possibility that you might like O and may get "addicted" to them - like many of us - and will find it hard to go back to Carnival :D

If so, that would be a good addiction :D

Enjoy your cruise.

You might be in big trouble :D

There is a distinct possibility that you might like O and may get "addicted" to them - like many of us - and will find it hard to go back to Carnival :D

If so, that would be a good addiction :D

Enjoy your cruise.

Paulchili thanks for being so cool and taking the time to answer my naive questions! I may be asking more before the cruise. By the way do you know if the saunas on Riviera are included in the price or its a separate spa package. I like to work out and sweat out all the gunky stuff before I stuff myself like a pig at dinner HAHA :D

Paulchili thanks for being so cool and taking the time to answer my naive questions! I may be asking more before the cruise. By the way do you know if the saunas on Riviera are included in the price or its a separate spa package.

saunas are open to all no charge

Thanks Lyn!

Many of the cruises I've been to have only included the gyms and not the showers and saunas which is silly, but its a cash grab to get you to get the "specialty" package. Its nice to know another included item on Oceania!

Paulchili, I have a feeling I'm going to have to work out twice a day in order to be able to get stuffed like a pig!:p

On a Mediterranean cruise it is very easy to DIY excursions, don't know the ports for your cruise but there may well be someone on your roll call already organising private tours, and in lots of Med ports there are taxis/tour operators at the port gates.

WHile you didn't have the best agent this time, dont worry, When you are on the ship ASK others who they used... You might be very surprised

Many agents not only give pre-paid gratuities, but also additional OBC AND an after cruise rebate check of 5 to 9% on top of all that....!!!!!!!

I mention these because thats what you need to look for in an agent If your agent gave you zip after being a long term customer.,,,,,its time to say bye bye

We cant tell you here on but on board you will find many sources... make notes for next time

As Paulchili said you may become addicted to the quality of Oceania ...I did a few years back and we are now on our 9th cruise with them. My wife wont even look at another line now... NO go unless its O

We were upgraded to a veranda stateroom at no extra cost on a 10 day cruise in the Med from Barcelona to Venice. We originally were in an inside stateroom, needless to say it was a nice surprise. Now we are spoiled and will probably, :)always be looking at verandas whenever we cruise.

We were upgraded to a veranda stateroom at no extra cost on a 10 day cruise in the Med from Barcelona to Venice. We originally were in an inside stateroom, needless to say it was a nice surprise. Now we are spoiled and will probably, :)always be looking at verandas whenever we cruise.

Geez now you got my hopes up slammer! I haven't been upgraded since my first cruise on Carnival 13 years ago from inside to balcony. It happened at the airport no less, I had no clue until the rep told me! I know it's a slim chance these days but taking a chance on a GTY inside. We always sail inside and although some people hate it, we don't spend much time in there. Although it would be nice to open the windows and look out as we are sailing! I wonder if the European itineraries are less fully subscribed and have a better chance for upgrade?

As for finding a new TA with benefits,Hawaiidan, I'm on the lookout! :D some more OBC to buy tours would be nice!!

Edited by sexyaznboy

Stranger things happen. We were just offered an upgrade to a Penthouse suite if we wanted to swap our Alaskan cruise in June for a choice of 6 different 7 or 8 day cruises in the Med for this summer at no extra cost. We currently have a veranda suite booked. We are not going to do this, for several reasons, but you never know. Hope it happens for you.