Help! - Silver Airways to FLL

Hello!

United Air "transferred" my flights from Orlando to FLL to their subsidiary, Silver Airways. In looking online, I see absolutely terrible, awful (like run away as fast as you can) reviews .

So now, I am back to my original dilemma, which is either hope for the best with the flight, or try to rent a car and drive (but some roads are closed for the Memorial Day Beach Bash), or try the Red Coach bus.

A small delay in flights I can manage, as we are going in the day before our cruise, but has anyone successfully flown on Silver Airways? At all?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Sorry to hear that, have never flown on Silver and in fact never heard of them. We generally use Southwest Air to FLL and have been very happy. No baggage fees and no change fees. Is there anyway you could cancel without a huge fee since they changed your flight?

They didn't "transfer" your flight. UA doesn't fly MCO-FLL, so they used an affiliated airline, just as they would if you fly SFO-FRA-FCO, as UA doesn't do the FRA-FCO route, you would be on Lufthansa. Many, many airlines do this, it is why the major airlines have their huge alliances.

The flight MCO-FLL is what, 40 minutes? You can do it.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Sorry to hear that, have never flown on Silver and in fact never heard of them. We generally use Southwest Air to FLL and have been very happy. No baggage fees and no change fees. Is there anyway you could cancel without a huge fee since they changed your flight?

United didn't "change" their flight. The MCO-FLL segment was never on UA, they don't fly that route.

Southwest does not fly from MCO to FLL. Nor does JetBlue, or I would have done that.

I booked with UNITED, not Silver Airways.

I will just drive and do a one way rental. That really is what I wanted to avoid, which is why I booked the flight.

I have no doubt I "can do" a 45 minute flight, I am more concerned about the terrible reviews - 8 and 9 hour delays, mechanical problems with the Saab planes, etc.

I am sure I can get some future credit with United, not sure how much. I am sure there is also a hefty change fee. It is a lesson learned I suppose.

Thank you for all the contributions. :)

I booked with UNITED, not Silver Airways.

I am thinking you don't understand how codeshares and alliances work, as you may fly regularly with Southwest, and Jet Blue, neither of which have alliances. The fact that Southwest and Jet Blue don't have these alliances severally limits where those two airlines can fly you.

But MANY airlines do have these relationships and alliances. Even though you booked on the United website, it would clearly said something like "flight operated by Silver Airways".

Edited by CruiserBruce

I don't blame you. They seem like a terrible airline, and honestly you wouldn't get me on one of those prop planes. I'm a bad flyer to begin with ., and add in the crappy plane, poor ratings, terrible customer service , their awful track record., I'd be a candidate for a strait jacket.

Plus it seems by checking reviews it would be quicker to drive .

Thank you IndyDenise!

While the whole reason I didn't want to drive was because I HATE driving in unfamiliar places, it does seem a pretty straight route from one city to the other.

Assuming every single thing went okay with the flight, I would be fine, but there seem to be very many things that may not go fine.

What really sucks is that you are going to have to cancel that leg and pay change fees.. Or do carry on only and just do a throw away ticket. Otherwise your luggage will get checked thru.

Unless.. As other travelers have said .. They need to recheck baggage with Silver .. They are complaining that on the code share they shouldn't be incurring fees per the contract .

In that case you are good !

It's not a leg at all. I have a Southwest flight to Orlando and a United/Silver flight from Orlando to FLL 4 days later.

I will just call at some point this week and see what the change fee is to have a future credit issued. Hopefully the credit will be with United, since that is my original invoice. And yes, luggage would have cost us $130 to check.

And let me tell you that in April Orlando was a total cluster with TSA. We were in line almost 1 1/2 hrs! .. And it was not that busy!

We experienced the same thing in November and last May, too! It was crazy - getting through security.

Though I have to say Washington, DC airports and Baltimore are not a lot better lately.