How "safe" is the Room Safe?

I guess it all depends on how you define a "good bit of cash". I usually keep $6-8,000 in cash with me when I travel. But on occasion, if I have reason to, I have brought larger sums ($20-30K). I only did this once on a cruise, and it was a transatlantic on QM2. I had that in an envelope that guest services locked up for me. That way, they took responsibility for it. At land based hotels, they usually have safe deposit boxes you can use.

I tend to leave everything but cash out. Laptop, camera, they're all just sitting on the desk. So I'm a little cavalier. But larger cash amounts increase my caution. I guess it all depends on your comfort level.

You don't need a key or code to pry open a metal box that looks like a safe. A crowbar can probably do the job. A real safe is built like a tank and fire proof. The one in your cabin is anything but.

You don't need a key or code to pry open a metal box that looks like a safe. A crowbar can probably do the job. A real safe is built like a tank and fire proof. The one in your cabin is anything but.

Just looking at my packing list for my last cruise.... Yep, I brought a crowbar!:D

No safe is completely safe! I learned that in the movies. Same think with a pad lock. They can be cut. Locks on your doors? Nothing but an inconvenience to the robber.

Everything I mentioned is a preventive measure that makes it difficult to steal and eliminates theft known as opportunity theft.

I never bring "expensive" items on a trip, and if my iPad was stolen, or some other small item, I wouldn't cry over it. Use the safe, and for the person that leaves a $6000.00 ring in it, WHY????

I never bring "expensive" items on a trip, and if my iPad was stolen, or some other small item, I wouldn't cry over it. Use the safe, and for the person that leaves a $6000.00 ring in it, WHY????

Proper attire for formal night and picture with the captain. $6k bling is part of the gear but not when you are snorkelling or hanging out at the beach.

Edited by sfaaa

Good luck with that! :)

An ipad will fit in the bottom without having to angle it.

Just don't do what I did - an iPad mini fits square against the wall when upright - the last day of the cruise I was convinced that someone stole it...but with my cover being dark and the safe being dark, we discovered it in the safe where I left it :)

Edited by psuboater

As a qualified expert on such matters I can say that you are way off base. Your method would take hours to accomplish and in the process you would be demolishing the cabinet or wall where it is installed. No one would risk doing this not knowing what was in the safe to begin with.

As I said previously I observed the trained technician drill our cabin safe to open it. This was no different than the technique used to open government safes I was responsible for as a federal agent. After opening the safe it took another hour to remove and replace it using secure hardware accessible only from inside the safe.

So who in their right mind would attempt to accomplish a crude attack on a safe with a crowbar that would not work?

Oh and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :rolleyes:

I think the safes are secure. It's me that I don't trust! I always put my valuables into a ziplock bag before placing them in the safe. That way I won't leave a passport or ring behind simply because I didn't see it in the dark safe. When I'm exiting the ship I just grab the bag and know that I have collected everything.

I think if the safe was broken into then they have good security staff to investigate and i can't say I have heard of it.

However if you look on you tube (if you dare) then you can see how easy it is to break in.

We had a break in on holiday in Cyprus called the holiday rep who didn't believe us and showed her YouTube. Those thieves were very cleaver as they only took 200 euros so I didn't miss it but our friends count their money and write down how much they take out so knew exactly how much was missing. Lesson learnt. It was a safe bolted to the wall but no top cover so these are easily broken into

Yea, do a youtube search for "how to open hotel safe". Many hotels fail to reset the default administrator code of "00000". Other safes can be easily opened with a paperclip. These safes are not necesarilly safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=954ZIcLM7gE

With that said, I doubt any cruise staff would risk stealing from passengers. I hear disputes with passengers don't go well for the crew. Officers will toss their cabin searching for stolen items.

Your passport has little value to most people. If your iPad shows up in a crew cabin, they would be dealt with strongly. Cash...that's different.

We hide cash in weird places and split it up so we have backup cash hidden in another place in the event of a theft. We do this for all travel, ship or land based.

A safe is where you would put your valuables and the first place bad hotel staff would be looking if they could open it quickly. They aren't going to dig into your suitcase and your toothbrush holder to find your ring in my opinion. If they got caught in your bag it would be very bad for them.

--Russ

And hide the toenail clippers, since they can be used to cut those locks.

It is kind of funny, one person talks about using a crowbar to break into the safe and the other advocates putting things in luggage with locks that can be broken with nail clippers.

In reality, unless someone can walk in and snatch something that is clearly visible it is unlikely that anything is going to go missing. Crew have too much work to do to invest the time needed and passengers are not going to risk getting caught in a cabin that they don't belong in. Not to mention passageway cameras that can easily document who has gone into the cabin.

I also suspect that cabin stewards prop doors open when they are cleaning not only to save themselves some time but also to help protect themselves from allegations of stealing.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Yea, do a youtube search for "how to open hotel safe". Many hotels fail to reset the default administrator code of "00000". Other safes can be easily opened with a paperclip. These safes are not necesarilly safe.

With that said, I doubt any cruise staff would risk stealing from passengers. I hear disputes with passengers don't go well for the crew. Officers will toss their cabin searching for stolen items.

Your passport has little value to most people. If your iPad shows up in a crew cabin, they would be dealt with strongly. Cash...that's different.

We hide cash in weird places and split it up so we have backup cash hidden in another place in the event of a theft. We do this for all travel, ship or land based.

A safe is where you would put your valuables and the first place bad hotel staff would be looking if they could open it quickly. They aren't going to dig into your suitcase and your toothbrush holder to find your ring in my opinion. If they got caught in your bag it would be very bad for them.

--Russ

There was thread some time ago about a crew member on a Princess ship who was caught with a passengers I-phone. It was pretty stupid of him to use it. Those phones do enough spying on their rightful owners never mind providing info on someone who should not be using it.

--Russ

Nice video but does not apply to any RCI safes I have seen.

Those with a key pad (rather than credit card) were all equipped with a special key capability. That is used rather than a master code.

Nice video but does not apply to any RCI safes I have seen.

Those with a key pad (rather than credit card) were all equipped with a special key capability. That is used rather than a master code.

Agreed. And I think I tried the code 00000 on our last cruise and nothing happened. However there are MANY videos how to open a hotel safe (google it). One shows it done with a potato.

A sock and magnet

http://digg.com/video/magnet-opens-hotel-safe

These safes are made cheap with back doors.

https://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/safety-tips/hotel-room-safes-they-may-not-be-as-safe-as-you-thought-they-were/

On a ship, I wouldn't worry. Stewards leave the door open when cleaning. Imagine what would happen if you walked by another cabin and saw a room steward tampering with a safe? I know I would say something. Cameras everywhere and I believe the ship treats passenger theft quite seriously.

Still, we don't leave ALL our cash or credit cards in one place. Not when we are traveling or when we are in a room.

Hotels..it's a bit more dangerous.

If you have something REALLY valuable and small (a ring, $25k in cash) I would ask the hotel staff to store it in their safe in a sealed envelope.

There are lots of great security threads. Like copying your Passport and credit cards in case of loss and storing them on your phone (with a passcode). Don't leave valuables out in the open. Common sense stuff.

We even purchased a beach chair "safe"

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Safe-Lock-Box-Black/dp/B00XIWAXIG/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1463594950&sr=1-4&keywords=beach+safe

It won't stand up to much, but the casual walk by and grab is thwarted while you are swimming and leave your gear unattended. A good deterrent to make thief move on to the next victim.

--Russ