Options for Family of 4 on Solstice Class

DawgDad93

We're looking at either the Equinox or Silhouette to the Caribbean for our daughters' spring break. I'm curious what folks would recommend as the best cabin type or types. (Our daughters will be 12 and 14.) So far I'm considering these options:

1. A Sky Suite (S1 or S2) for all 4 of us. Seems like the pros are the included perks and very reasonable price. Only big con I see is the girls sharing a pullout sofa. (The 14 year old will not be a fan.)

2. A Celebrity Suite for all 4 of us. More square footage and some privacy for mom & dad, but it looks like it would still be a pullout sofa for the girls. Is that right? This would be the most expensive option by a fair amount.

3. Two connecting balcony staterooms. Pros seem to be separate beds for the girls and a second bathroom (which means dad might even get to use one on occasion). Price seems reasonable, but obviously no suite perks. I've also had an impossible time finding two available connecting rooms in almost any balcony class cabin on either X's site or Costco's. Do they not display the full inventory? I ask because I am looking at 2018 and it seems odd that these would already be sold out.

4. Some combination of a Sky Suite and a balcony room that either connects or is adjacent. This seems like a decent option for the price and gets us a second bathroom, but I'm curious what would be the deal with the Suite Perks, specifically the access to Luminae. It also doesn't look like there are many possible combinations since the Sky Suites tend to be clustered together.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice!

Hello! What a great spring break trip!

I personally would suggest adjoining cabins if you can do it, although spacious the celebrity suite may not quite be spacious enough for 4 of you and there have been some reports on the different threads of the pull out (if you could call it that) sofa only being suitable for 1 person.

As far as perks the celebrity suite and sky suite are the same - access to Michaels club and luminae - I can't speak about whether the girls would be allowed in Michaels club and generally luminae is $50 per person extra per visit (if there's availability) although on one of the posts someone mentioned that children may be given access for free but I wouldn't necessarily count on that as I don't know what celebrities policy is there. You do not get a drinks package with those levels of suite or the perk of unlimited dining/internet.

Have you considered Aqua class rooms? They give you additional perks and would provide good space for you all as a family

:)

Oh and I meant to say, not sure how connecting rooms work, but if next to each other without an internal connecting door you can have the balcony partition opened so that you can all move freely between the two cabins :)

I have two girls and we traveled in the past on Solstice when they were little all together. Now that they are 12 and 16 we needed another room. We stay in concierge and the girls stay across the hall in a category 9 inside room. It was perfect!!! We needed the space, i couldn't look at their mess and the second bathroom is a MUST!!!

The girls vetoed staying in a RS and sleeping on a pullout and roll away. Fine by me, the two rooms were much cheaper than the suite.

Edited by mymichala

X's UK site usually shows all the available cabins, so you can check which connecting balcony cabins are free. We have the same problem and tend to go with the 2 cabin approach. Both the ships you are considering have the connection on the outside door i.e. there is a small vestibule as the 2 outer doors shut and the inner doors remain open.

There are some S1 aft cabins that connect to Concierge cabins (C1s) that may be the ideal solution to your quandary. I have read on previous posts that children are allowed in Lumunae if the cabin they are occupying is connected to their parents' suite. X obviously don't permit this if it's just cruising companions, only children ;).

Have you considered a family verandah? I know those are on m class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That looks like a great option. I see one FV room available on the Silhouette, but nothing on the other. I guess that means they're already sold out?

I'm curious if anyone has experience with a FV, especially the usability of the veranda given the location. (And thanks to all for the helpful responses.)

After our first cruise in one room with our 12 and 14 kids we always took a balcony or aqua class room for ourselves and an intererior room for the kids. On the first trip my son and I had to shower and change each night in the gym so the girls had space to get dressed. By the way the kids loved RCL rooms that were interior but had bay windows to the mall. Great to watch nightly parades, only a problem if you forget to close the curtain when you get changed!

More than likely either the Family Veranda is sold out or it requires a 5th person to be able to book it. You have to call in to book it and only if the sailing is low demand for families like a trans-atlantic, would you be able to get it approved for less than 5.

Two connecting balconies has worked well for us in the past. The two bathrooms is a life saver. The only caveat is that the the interconnecting rooms end up with very little privacy since the doors are propped open when the extra inter connecting door is set up flush with the hallways. It works well for a family, but you would never do this if you were two couples, or if Mom and Dad want some alone time.

One poster suggested the balcony with the inside across the hall. It has to be directly across the hall and with the Go Big Better Best promotion, you wouldn't want to put a parent in the inside cabin and loos the beverage package if that is the promotion that you would take. If you go with another promo it doesn't matter, but the beverage package is a big deal.

That looks like a great option. I see one FV room available on the Silhouette, but nothing on the other. I guess that means they're already sold out?

I'm curious if anyone has experience with a FV, especially the usability of the veranda given the location. (And thanks to all for the helpful responses.)

The FV would take you back down to 1 bathroom and is usually only available to book for 5, unless they haven't sold closer to sail date. They do have the separate bedrooms. On S class they are far forward, unlike the aft FVs on M class (super huge balconies on the corner FVs :)). You need to call to book the FVs :).

Just to add a little more re CS and RS.

We had a CS for 3 and found it very crampt. You do have the benefit of the separate bedroom but it is enclosed and small. If the girls don't want to share the sofa bed there is no space for a pull out. The Jack and Jill bathroom is quite a good idea.

RS, with its second toilet and sink could work. We have happily cruised as a three. A roll out would I think fit with a little manoevering....You would have the premium drinks package, the girls the non alcoholic one, unlimited speciality dining, unlimited internet and some laundry...Depends if the perks are worth the additional cost to you.

Sincerely hope you find a great room!

We've been cruising with our teenage daughters for years and two cabins is the way to go, preferably NOT connected. Let them knock on the door if they want to get in.

They normally only release the FV cabins closer to sailing date, as they are held out of inventory as normally require a min of 5 passengers to book.

We were next door to one on a sailing and whilst the cabins on 7 deck have a smaller verandah, they are still quite workable. The 8 deck FV have less obstruction and are more open (like a normal balcony)

We were lucky as we travel with out two descendants and scored two interconnecting cabins from a guarantee deal! So we had 2 bathrooms and also and extra large balcony (as they opened the divider). It was wonderful each having our own 'zone'!!

The suite life would be wonderful, don't get me wrong...but I Think the 2 cabins will offer better space/privacy travelling with the kids at that age.

Also about interconnecting cabins...I have had same issue trying to secure them online whereas found my TA had access to them or calling Celebrity direct did the trick!

Good luck with your decision!

451de2b1cbcbf3e0b483e8bdeeb44aa4.jpg580557b6997b2f3bcd9c1332f83efcd4.jpg

Some photos of an 8 deck FV cabin showing the smaller 2nd bedroom with bunk beds (I snuck in on disembarkation day, hence the unmade bed!)

Remember you still only have - bathroom, although you get the larger communal living space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

• 2 weeks later...
I have two girls and we traveled in the past on Solstice when they were little all together. Now that they are 12 and 16 we needed another room. We stay in concierge and the girls stay across the hall in a category 9 inside room. It was perfect!!! We needed the space, i couldn't look at their mess and the second bathroom is a MUST!!!

The girls vetoed staying in a RS and sleeping on a pullout and roll away. Fine by me, the two rooms were much cheaper than the suite.

I booked 2 connecting concierge balconies and an interior for my teenage boys. However, celebrity did not let me put the two boys together in the interior so I had to put my mother with one son in the balcony and my brother with the other son in the interior.

This means that we have to buy my brother an unlimited drink package which would have been included with the go best on the concierge class balcony. Instead, for the go best we only get 1 premium package and a non alcoholic for my 14 year old.

I don't understand why celebrity wouldn't let us put the two boys in the cabin across from us on the same reservation. We booked 1 AQ class, 2 CC, 1 interior all on one credit card and I find it kind of cheap of them.

We are a family of five and have regularly sailed in both the FV and adjacent balcony cabins. If you can get it, I love the space of the FV, but it is a lot of walking, there is only one bathroom, and some people do not like being in the bow. If the seas are rough you will feel/hear it up there, plus when pulling into port early in the am, it is noisier due to proximity to the bow lines and thrusters. My DH prefers the adjoining balconies because he likes the extra bathroom. Plus we can pick cabins midship. Even Concierge class. As for finding availability, on Celebrity's website, you can enter specific cabin numbers to find adjacent cabins that are available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I booked 2 connecting concierge balconies and an interior for my teenage boys. However, celebrity did not let me put the two boys together in the interior so I had to put my mother with one son in the balcony and my brother with the other son in the interior.

This means that we have to buy my brother an unlimited drink package which would have been included with the go best on the concierge class balcony. Instead, for the go best we only get 1 premium package and a non alcoholic for my 14 year old.

I don't understand why celebrity wouldn't let us put the two boys in the cabin across from us on the same reservation. We booked 1 AQ class, 2 CC, 1 interior all on one credit card and I find it kind of cheap of them.

You can put the teenage boys in their own cabin providing it's connected, adjacent or across the hall from your cabin ;). We do this often but it has to be in the same hall. We take the alcoholic beverage packages and the boys either have the OBC if it's a balcony or just the TA OBC if it's an inside. Booking this way ensures both adults get the drink packages. If you book onboard, you may have to explain this to the Celebrity reps as they often are unaware of the rules when booking minors in another cabin ;).

Below is an official X reply that was posted on another thread regarding children in separate cabins (notice the exception ;) ):

'No guest under the age of 21 can be booked in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult 21 years or older.

EXCEPTION: The only situation where minors can be berthed without an adult in the stateroom is when at least one parent/legal guardian is sailing and the staterooms are physically adjacent (directly next door or directly across the hall - the doors to the staterooms have to be in the same hallway) to one another.'

Edited by villauk

After our first cruise in one room with our 12 and 14 kids we always took a balcony or aqua class room for ourselves and an intererior room for the kids. On the first trip my son and I had to shower and change each night in the gym so the girls had space to get dressed. By the way the kids loved RCL rooms that were interior but had bay windows to the mall. Great to watch nightly parades, only a problem if you forget to close the curtain when you get changed!

Keep in mind that with Aqua Class rooms the main benefit is eating in Blu which is a Specialty restaurant for AQ patrons. If you book an AQ room and an inside for the kids they will not be able to eat in Blu and Celebrity is very strict about.

I would go with 2 cabins. You have 3 options. 2 Aqua cabins side by side. 2 balcony cabins side by side. Or balcony with a inside cabin across the hall. If you want all four perks just get the Go Best package for the 2 of you. You will have 2 unlimited internet packages to share between the 4 of you. Only one devise on a package at a time.

My family we are all adults and get 3 cabins together on the Solstice class ship. We open up the dividers. It is great for sitting and having drinks and talking.

As was said to eat in Blu all must be in a Aqua cabins or Suite.

You can put the teenage boys in their own cabin providing it's connected, adjacent or across the hall from your cabin ;). We do this often but it has to be in the same hall. We take the alcoholic beverage packages and the boys either have the OBC if it's a balcony or just the TA OBC if it's an inside. Booking this way ensures both adults get the drink packages. If you book onboard, you may have to explain this to the Celebrity reps as they often are unaware of the rules when booking minors in another cabin ;).

Below is an official X reply that was posted on another thread regarding children in separate cabins (notice the exception ;) ):

'No guest under the age of 21 can be booked in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult 21 years or older.

EXCEPTION: The only situation where minors can be berthed without an adult in the stateroom is when at least one parent/legal guardian is sailing and the staterooms are physically adjacent (directly next door or directly across the hall - the doors to the staterooms have to be in the same hallway) to one another.'

Is the room for the boys perhaps not across the hall. I booked my kids in a separate cabin 20 years ago on Celebrity ships, that is how long they have had this policy. If you booked through a travel agency, they very often do not know Celebrity's written policy which is above. If you booked through Celebrity I would complain and ask for a supervisor. Quote them their own website because they screw up also.

We've sailed with our two children many times and agree that two cabins are a must! We've had side-by-side balcony cabins and opened the partition between the two which creates one nice sized balcony. We've also had a balcony cabin for us and an interior cabin directly across the hall for the children. Two side-by-side balconies is my preferred set up. Just me, but I wouldn't waste a wonderful suite experience by sharing the room with my children--I'd save that for just DH and myself. :D

This is why I love cruise critic. Thank you so much! I called in and we got 2 of the concierge class cabins rebooked with the 4 adults and put our teenage boys directly across from us in the inside. We will switch keys for each adult to stay with one of the boys but all the adults now have the Go Best drink perks which is what matters!!

Edited by duchesslt

• 1 month later...
We're looking at either the Equinox or Silhouette to the Caribbean for our daughters' spring break. I'm curious what folks would recommend as the best cabin type or types. (Our daughters will be 12 and 14.) So far I'm considering these options:

1. A Sky Suite (S1 or S2) for all 4 of us. Seems like the pros are the included perks and very reasonable price. Only big con I see is the girls sharing a pullout sofa. (The 14 year old will not be a fan.)

2. A Celebrity Suite for all 4 of us. More square footage and some privacy for mom & dad, but it looks like it would still be a pullout sofa for the girls. Is that right? This would be the most expensive option by a fair amount.

3. Two connecting balcony staterooms. Pros seem to be separate beds for the girls and a second bathroom (which means dad might even get to use one on occasion). Price seems reasonable, but obviously no suite perks. I've also had an impossible time finding two available connecting rooms in almost any balcony class cabin on either X's site or Costco's. Do they not display the full inventory? I ask because I am looking at 2018 and it seems odd that these would already be sold out.

4. Some combination of a Sky Suite and a balcony room that either connects or is adjacent. This seems like a decent option for the price and gets us a second bathroom, but I'm curious what would be the deal with the Suite Perks, specifically the access to Luminae. It also doesn't look like there are many possible combinations since the Sky Suites tend to be clustered together.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice!

We have always looked into very similar cabin configurations that you are considering. We always like space and privacy for dressing. My boys are 14 and 16 and we've always done either a suite such as a Celebrity Suite (sofa bed and rollaway + bedroom for adults), or 2 adjoining cabins. Our last cruise on Celebrity Reflection (also S class like you are looking at, we had the best set-up ever. We booked an aft Sky Suite with adjoining regular cabin for the boys. Since it was in the corner aft, the two cabins entrances were connected with a private alcove that allowed for even more space.

I have pictures of all of these cabin configurations to help you visualize better: http://www.myvirtualvacations.net/celebrity-cabins.html

We've already booked our next year's cruise and picked the same type of corner adjoining cabin layout on the Solstice.

Enjoy!!