Another Tablecloth debate

lele100

The two cruise elegant nights are somewhat more upscale (even table cloths!). It is certainly not Cunard....

It's certainly not, but some who cruise Cunard have other issues that even a tablecloth can't resolve. Like, money can't buy sense of humor and how to get that pesky broomstick out of...............well, you get the idea. ;)

Edited by Thorncroft

The two cruise elegant nights are somewhat more upscale (even table cloths!). It is certainly not Cunard....

Bigger is not better and why mention Cunard or did you forget who you were having a dig at and get us mixed up?

That's for certain! On Cunard, you count the gents without tuxes on formal nights, not those with!

However, let's face it, while Carnival Corp owns Cunard, CCL is not Cunard. They are in entirely different leagues and, I expect, most loyal CCL cruisers would hate Cunard!

No it's not Cunard nor will it ever be (by choice by the way). We have toured the QM2 as it Elias embarking. Certainly different, in many ways.

Bigger is not better and why mention Cunard or did you forget who you were having a dig at and get us mixed up?

Hardly, just making the reference to emphasize my point. Did I say better? Certainly more formal.

Edited by jimbo5544

Another horn-tooter poo-poo’ing everything about a cruiseline before they’ve even stepped foot on board.

You would do well to team up with the other Alfalfas, Spankys, Butchs and Stymies that make up the Carnival board’s Little Rascals and create your own “He-Man Woman Haters Club” but geared toward despising everything Carnival. Don’t expect the resident feminist to sign up though – she’s too busy posting everywhere about everything to be distracted by such frivolity.

I can't believe you're even considering "slumming it" with the common folk. Hopefully they won't react negatively should you display such disdain once on board.

Bless. Someone so upset at criticism he has a database on the go! Veiled threats too!

PS I don't hate all things carnival, though its difficult not to draw conclusions about some if its common folk.

Bless. Someone so upset at criticism he has a database on the go! Veiled threats too!

PS I don't hate all things carnival, though its difficult not to draw conclusions about some if its common folk.

Funny how some people get so bent out of shape about a circus that they don't even have any monkeys performing in.

Are you saying all ships have just gone through refurbishments, had tables replaced to have table clothes removed? I haven't followed whats happened, but I would be surprised if that's the case?

You may be right when you refer to the demographics of "its" cruisers though. I doubt that the table clothes on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea will be removed anytime soon.

The ships that have had the tablecloths removed did have the table tops replaced because the tops of the old ones were white/off white, padded, and had a texture to them. There's no way they could be presented without a cover.

I have no idea about the other lines as I haven't sailed them.

A more "modern experience". Would you care to describe that? Trust me, the long term use of table cloths ("clothes" for those that prefer that word), costs more!

Carnival seems to be alone in this table maneuver among the cruise lines. Perhaps they are giving a hint as to the level of their product- Denny's, Applebee's, Golden Corral, etc.?

An otherwise elegant dining room with no table cloths? Aw, c'mon!

Modern as in not old fashioned, more clean lines, minimalist. Like "Modern or Contemporary Decor".

As far as what other cruise lines will do, I don't know. But let's face it. Carnival is NOT elegant or upscale in any way, shape, or fashion. They are a family oriented cruise line that provides a decent experience for a pretty reasonable price. Although the price part is starting to be not so attractive any more.

Their cruisers have said for quite a while that they wish a more relaxed, casual vacation. Including but not limited to the dress code. People cry and moan about dressing up and many wish to do away with Elegant Night all together. Sounds like they are responding to their customer's wants.

I wasn't sure what that meant, so I googled.

It looks very basic and down market.

There are times and places where its ok, I just think it's nice to dress up and would like my surroundings to be dressed up too. And I will be honest and admit I'm surprised I did enjoy it.

Wrong American Table.

In relation to Carnival, it refers to the name of their new menus. American Table for cruise casual nights, American Feast for Elegant Evenings.

The ships that have had the tablecloths removed did have the table tops replaced because the tops of the old ones were white/off white, padded, and had a texture to them. There's no way they could be presented without a cover.

I have no idea about the other lines as I haven't sailed them.

OK thanks for that.

I was under the impression the message quoted was no tablecloths on any ships

Do you think the removal of table clothes is because guests have requested it (as suggested), or because Carnival wants to save money?

Next you'll be telling me my butler serving our breakfast in our suite on our last cruise after making the table (with table cloth and all the trimmings) was an awful experience and self serve would have been so much more preferable.

What? Please re-read my post. I said " you don't have to have a tablecloth to set a nice table". However, you can also set a nice table (with or without the butler ) using a tablecloth. BTW, I suggest you don't go out in the rain...with your nose that far up in the air , you might drown.

Edited by Rala

I would like to purchase the Cheerios Tablecloth package but I'm told everyone in my cabin who will be eating must also purchase the package and I'll be danged if I'm paying for 2 packages when only one of us is sophisticated enough to use a tablecloth properly.

This LITERALLY made me laugh out loud. Made my day!

What? Please re-read my post. I said " you don't have to have a tablecloth to set a nice table". However, you can also set a nice table (with or without the butler ) using a tablecloth. BTW, I suggest you don't go out in the rain...with your nose that far up in the air , you might drown.

Thanks for your concern I might drown with your edited after thought.

Have no fear. My butler will be holding my umbrella aloft. Don't you worry your pretty little self

PS. It doesnt matter what you wrote. I asked a question related to it. I suppose I can safely assume you agree it is to save money. They'll be cutting out the butler next...... oh wait! :D

I really liked the tablecloths!!! I don't get to eat out but maybe once a year, and it is usually just to a Chilis.

To me the tablecloths gave the illusion of grandeur and "fine dining". While I know the fare was buffet quality, I still found the tablecloths added a bit of an elegant feel which made the experience seem more than what it was.

I do like that it is better for the environment to not have all that washing, but will miss the little bit of the "old days" elegance the tablecloths provided.

I really liked the tablecloths!!! I don't get to eat out but maybe once a year, and it is usually just to a Chilis.

To me the tablecloths gave the illusion of grandeur and "fine dining". While I know the fare was buffet quality, I still found the tablecloths added a bit of an elegant feel which made the experience seem more than what it was.

I do like that it is better for the environment to not have all that washing, but will miss the little bit of the "old days" elegance the tablecloths provided.

Environmentalists shouldn't be on a cruise ship in the first place. Nothing says environmental waste like a ship consuming nearly 50 gallons of fuel per mile.

Thank goodness! I do not want to sail a cruise line that will determine where I can eat based on the grade of stateroom I book. I can do without a tablecloth on occasion. I own plenty myself.

I guess I'm in the minority in this post. I like to have a tablecloth when in the dining room, especially on elegant night. Will it stop me from cruising with carnival? No. Do I think about it when I book a cruise? No. I do prefer to having one when I am dining. I feel like it gives that separation from the dining experiences of the Lido and the dining room. Not gonna ruin my cruise though.

I guess I'm in the minority in this post. I like to have a tablecloth when in the dining room, especially on elegant night. Will it stop me from cruising with carnival? No. Do I think about it when I book a cruise? No. I do prefer to having one when I am dining. I feel like it gives that separation from the dining experiences of the Lido and the dining room. Not gonna ruin my cruise though.

Your reply is completely sensible, so what is it doing on this board? :) It seems people are not allowed to prefer to have tablecloths. The same voices chime in with the same bashing responses. They are supposedly tired of the topic yet respond ad nauseam.

Did you notice that the hugely overwhelming majority of the whining is from

those defending their obviously correct opinion, according to them, that having an opinion contrary to a Carnival decision is an attack on their first born?

I don't care about tablecloths one way or the other. The hypocrisy about what is whining and what isn't gets my attention.

Watch the whining begin about this opinion.

Love your screen name; enjoy your cruises.

Your reply is completely sensible, so what is it doing on this board? :) It seems people are not allowed to prefer to have tablecloths. The same voices chime in with the same bashing responses. They are supposedly tired of the topic yet respond ad nauseam.

Did you notice that the hugely overwhelming majority of the whining is from

those defending their obviously correct opinion, according to them, that having an opinion contrary to a Carnival decision is an attack on their first born?

I don't care about tablecloths one way or the other. The hypocrisy about what is whining and what isn't gets my attention.

Watch the whining begin about this opinion.

Love your screen name; enjoy your cruises.

No whining from me. I 100% agree with what you've said.

You are not allowed to have a viewpoint if it counters something their messiah puts on his blog. If he said water isn't wet and you argued against that, you get labelled a troll, or by same, a name caller even though you haven't called that person a name. Plus of course, calling you a troll doesn't, count. (Yes hypocrisy once more.)

I thought Apple "fans" we're bad, but........

Edited by les37b

Just got back from a Magic cruise. NO TABLE CLOTHS! ................... NO PROBLEM! We survived. We talked at the table. We ate our food. We even talked about the lack of table cloths. Then we laughed and continued our cruise. Then formal night came along with the table clothes. We talked at the table. We ate our food. We commented about there being table cloths. Then we laughed and continued our cruise. Conclusion made. It really doesn't matter. With that said, I am running to my cabin as the flak begins.

I would like to purchase the Cheerios Tablecloth package but I'm told everyone in my cabin who will be eating must also purchase the package and I'll be danged if I'm paying for 2 packages when only one of us is sophisticated enough to use a tablecloth properly.

Very funny:D

Thanks for your concern I might drown with your edited after thought.

Have no fear. My butler will be holding my umbrella aloft. Don't you worry your pretty little self

PS. It doesnt matter what you wrote. I asked a question related to it. I suppose I can safely assume you agree it is to save money. They'll be cutting out the butler next...... oh wait! :D

It probably was a cost-cutting measure. My point was that a table without a tablecloth does not necessarily indicate a lack of "class". Your last sentence shows you do have a sense of humor and that's a good thing! Happy Cruising to you! :D

It probably was a cost-cutting measure. My point was that a table without a tablecloth does not necessarily indicate a lack of "class". Your last sentence shows you do have a sense of humor and that's a good thing! Happy Cruising to you! :D

And your last reply shows you do understand why this "argument" is rolling on.

Good or bad decision in respect of the table is a personal opinion.... but people are arguing that it's been done by public request and nothing to do with saving money.

And happy cruising to you too.