Murano High Tea

leehal

We are currently looking at the Speciality Dinners Package and have notice that high tea is available in Murano, has anyone had this before? Is it worth taking as part of the package or maybe paying for as a one off?

The 'Champagne Afternoon Tea' in Murano is fantastic. I love it.

The cover charge is usually $25 each. So I don't think it would be worthwhile to set this off against a dinner package.

I usually make a reservation for this when I get on board. On the last few trips however, Celebrity have cancelled the event citing lack of interest. The lack of interest doesn't surprise me because I have never seen this event promoted anywhere.

High Tea = supper (there is a savory first course such as ham and salad, or Welsh rarebit or similar

Afternoon Tea = what you are expecting - scones, pastries, cakes

Rule of thumb for me is that you would need a fork to eat High Tea :)

Celebrity mention a High Tea, I assumed it was a mistake.

Yes I would prefer the afternoon tea option, it is very popular in the UK at the moment.

High Tea in Scotland is usually a choice of cold meat salad, steak pie or fish then a selection of scones and cakes. Afternoon tea is sandwiches, scones and cakes. so very confusing if you turn up for High Tea and get Afternoon Tea. :)

Edited by Elaine0138

Agreed.

Afternoon Tea is the stuff the upper-class aristocrats used to eat sitting on low sofa/lounge chair mid-late afternoon (as they ate their main meal later this snack was to keep them going as it were). Usually cakes/sandwiches etc.

High Tea was the working mans main meal after work - usually eaten at a table, sitting on a proper chair (hence high - as opposed to sitting on a low chair/lounger/sofa). Typically now shortened to Tea.... hence teatime etc

So I suspect Celebrity mean Afternoon Tea.

High Tea in Scotland is usually a choice of cold meat salad, steak pie or fish then a selection of scones and cakes. Afternoon tea is sandwiches, scones and cakes. so very confusing if you turn up for High Tea and get Afternoon Tea. :)

Perfect description of a High Tea :)

Afternoon tea - delicate finger sandwiches, dainty sweet cakes, scones - clotted cream & Strawberry Jam oooooooh dream on lol! And now of course we have Gin Afternoon Teas and Champagne Afternoon Teas...

High Tea - different completely.

• 2 months later...

Went on my first Celebrity cruise in the spring on the Reflection. I was really looking forward to the tea and champagne. I made my reservation for tea at Blu and was very disappointed. Comparing notes with friends who are regulars on Celebrity and recently were on a cruise. I found multiple discrepancies. First, there was no champagne or music for our afternoon tea. There was no cart with finger sandwiches and pastries rolled around. Instead the waiters strolled through the restaurant carrying trays of goodies. That is not a problem except they seemed to stay clear of my table. I found myself staring at everyone else's plate wondering why I wasn't offered what they had. I was not impressed. Has anyone had a similar experience?

What you've described sounds more like the Captain's Club 'Elegant Tea' event. I have been to this in various venues (Tuscan, MDR and Blu). I think this is now an invitation event to Elites and above (I recall previously it was also open to classic or select members too).

In my view the quality of this experience has deteriorated. This is not due to lack of effort; but organisation of delivery. There's always plenty of food and a decent number of servers. The current format however, just does not lend itself to sorting out a couple of dozen people promptly with a pot of tea and a sandwich. This would allow the sweets to follow at a pace.

The last of these events I attended (at Blu) my table had yet to receive hot water (never mind a sandwich) whilst I could see that cakes were already being circulated elsewhere in the room.

As far as I know the 'Champagne Tea' is always held in Murano and it is usually excellent; with live music also. This comes at a $25 cover charge, but worth it.

We used to attend the complimentary Elite Elegant Tea (as it was billed) ....most recently in Tuscan

It was held towards the end of the cruise, no music and they switched to the little trays. Have found it boring so we stopped going. Nothing to compare with how they do the tea on Cunard!

Sounds like the Champagne Tea may be a bit nicer...not sure if I'd pay $25 pp

Agreed.

Afternoon Tea is the stuff the upper-class aristocrats used to eat sitting on low sofa/lounge chair mid-late afternoon (as they ate their main meal later this snack was to keep them going as it were). Usually cakes/sandwiches etc.

High Tea was the working mans main meal after work - usually eaten at a table, sitting on a proper chair (hence high - as opposed to sitting on a low chair/lounger/sofa). Typically now shortened to Tea.... hence teatime etc

I grew up in England in a working class family and our meals were breakfast, dinner, tea. Moved to Canada to breakfast, lunch and dinner - quite confusing for a young child at the beginning....

I grew up in England in a working class family and our meals were breakfast, dinner, tea. Moved to Canada to breakfast, lunch and dinner - quite confusing for a young child at the beginning....

oh it's no better if you're born and brought up in the uk :)

we have:

breakfast, dinner and tea. With dinner ladies to help out with the midday meal at school.

You get lunch breaks at work, take a packed lunch for midday.

There are 'ladies that lunch', staff have dinner breaks.

Lets not forget that 'Tea' is also the national drink of the uk and can be nothing to do with food at all. :)

oh it's no better if you're born and brought up in the uk :)

we have:

breakfast, dinner and tea. With dinner ladies to help out with the midday meal at school.

You get lunch breaks at work, take a packed lunch for midday.

There are 'ladies that lunch', staff have dinner breaks.

Lets not forget that 'Tea' is also the national drink of the uk and can be nothing to do with food at all. :)

Lol - forgot about dinner ladies - I was one of those odd kids who LOVED school dinners as for me it was considered a treat as "me mammy" stayed home so I had to walk home and eat

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agreed.

Thank you for such a good and easy to remember explanation!

Do you mean pasties?! My family have been looking for a good meat pastie for 60 yrs at best. Never did find what my Dad said they should be, like his Grandy made! Has anyone seen pasties on an X cruise before. If they have I'll bite!:D

We are currently looking at the Speciality Dinners Package and have notice that high tea is available in Murano, has anyone had this before? Is it worth taking as part of the package or maybe paying for as a one off?

I certainly hope it's offered on our Jan. cruise on the Eclipse. We loved Cunard's Tea & hoped there was something similar on Celebrity. We never saw it in 2014/2015. We hope it will take place. The Regal Princess offered tea daily in one of the rest. Usually less than 50 showed. It was OK, but paled in comparison to daily tea service on Cunard. Princess did offer a more elegant Tea(about $20/a couple)once a cruise. Much better, but still not nearly as good as the Champagne tea on Cunard for about $25/pp.

• 3 weeks later...