Where to stay between cruises

jmlh

Next March we are cruising out of Miami and upon our return have 8 days before our next cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. The second cruise will begin on a Monday.

We would like to spend the majority of the days in South Beach but are wondering if we should move to Fort Lauderdale for a couple of days. What will the traffic be like on a Monday morning?

Also, what type of transportation would folks suggest? We will not have a car so should we try to find a shuttle company? Or do the shuttle companies pick up from South Beach or just the POM?

Thanks for any help.

Jan

Edited by jmlh

If you are spending a couple of days in Fort Lauderdale, I wouldn't look for a hotel in the 17th Street area; rather look for something at the beach or on/near Las Olas Blvd. 17th Street is 1 1/2 miles of strip malls with a hotel every block or so. It looks like any other area of strip malls in the US (well it does have palm trees :) so maybe not any other area). Fort Lauderdale beach, on the other hand, is beautiful and Las Olas Blvd is one of the nicest shopping/strolling/dining streets in Florida.

There is lots of info online in addition to this forum:

Seeing you have several days to spare I suggest staying at a suite hotel like GalleryOne in FLL. The rooms have full kitchenettes so you have the option of doing in room dining for breakfast or whenever you want.

The location is great also. If you book a water way view room you can sit on your balcony on an evening with a glass of wine and watch the yachts and super yachts going up and down the water way. (If you like that kind of thing and wine :confused:)

There is a publix grocery 5 minutes walk so you can get your stocks.

There is the Galleraia Mall 3 minutes walk with some great restaurants.

To top it off the GalleryOne is a water Taxi stop. So you can catch the water taxi from the hotel and go to Las Olas or many other great locations around FLL.

Seeing you have several days to spare I suggest staying at a suite hotel like GalleryOne in FLL. The rooms have full kitchenettes so you have the option of doing in room dining for breakfast or whenever you want.

The location is great also. If you book a water way view room you can sit on your balcony on an evening with a glass of wine and watch the yachts and super yachts going up and down the water way. (If you like that kind of thing and wine :confused:)

There is a publix grocery 5 minutes walk so you can get your stocks.

There is the Galleraia Mall 3 minutes walk with some great restaurants.

To top it off the GalleryOne is a water Taxi stop. So you can catch the water taxi from the hotel and go to Las Olas or many other great locations around FLL.

A very good suggestion. I might add that the beach is just a few blocks away (easily walkable) and the terminus for the sun trolley beach link is at the Galleria Mall. That route goes all along the beach or you can switch to the Las Olas link.

Many thanks for your suggestions and various links. Just have to make up our minds as to how to spend our days!

Still not clear how to get from South Beach to Fort Lauderdale. Perhaps a taxi is best?

Jan

Many thanks for your suggestions and various links. Just have to make up our minds as to how to spend our days!

Still not clear how to get from South Beach to Fort Lauderdale. Perhaps a taxi is best?

Jan

I would uber between the two.

I would stay on South Beach for four nights and Fort Lauderdale Beach for three nights.

Do not stay on 17th Street between your cruise, stay on the beach.

My suggestion would be the Courtyard Marriott in Fort Lauderdale and the South Seas in South Beach. Both are very well located moderate hotels.