Waking up when the ship docks?

snoopy5386

It's been quite a few years, but I remember from past cruises waking up when the ship docks due to the change in movement from moving to stopping. We are cruising Alaska this summer and we have some very early port times. Should I expect myself and my kids to be up when the ship docks? Or can you and do you sleep through the docking? We are in a midship balcony and will have a white noise machine going if that matters.

I've sometimes slept right through it. When I had an aft-facing balcony the thrusters would wake me but I didn't mind at all. Where you are located you may not even notice until you wake up and look outside. However, you might want to have your drapes closed. :)

We usually sleep through it even on our Alaskan voyages. Whether it is a port day or sea day you may want to keep the drapes closed if you're wanting sleep. Sunrise is early, early, early and sunset is late, late, late in Alaska.

I don't think that I have ever woke up while docking. Most of the time, the boats are so smooth that I don't feel a lot. But to be fair, we haven't done an Alaskan cruise yet. :)

Have fun.

First: It's a ship- not a boat. Don't let the officers hear you call it a boat!

Second: While I agree with your statement about smooth sailing I do have to point out that you did say "most of the time". :) Sometimes they really rock and roll. Our first cruise I woke up in the middle of the night as the ship was moving in multiple directions at the same time. It was an interesting introduction to cruising. The next morning people were staggering all over the ship and bouncing off of walls as the ship plunged and boomed through the stormy seas. Last fall we also had to skirt a tropical storm where the outer decks were closed to people because the wind was so high and the ship was lurching around so much. We was the most fantastic lightning storm at sea. It was really very cool. :)

Of course if there is that sort of weather the ship wouldn't be docking anywhere. I do completely agree with you that the docking process is pretty darn smooth.

Edited by Thrak

It's been quite a few years, but I remember from past cruises waking up when the ship docks due to the change in movement from moving to stopping. We are cruising Alaska this summer and we have some very early port times. Should I expect myself and my kids to be up when the ship docks? Or can you and do you sleep through the docking? We are in a midship balcony and will have a white noise machine going if that matters.

Should I expect myself and my kids to be up when the ship docks?

This up to you a lot of people love to watch the ship dock from their balcony.

Or can you and do you sleep through the docking?

Everybody is different however, my wife and I get the cheers package and a lot of times get back late so we (or at least me:o) never feel us docking...haha.

will have a white noise machine going if that matters.

I have no idea what this is??????????:eek:

First: It's a ship- not a boat. Don't let the officers hear you call it a boat!

Second: While I agree with your statement about smooth sailing I do have to point out that you did say "most of the time". :) Sometimes they really rock and roll.

Don't let the officers hear you say that.

Ships roll, pitch and heave.

Musicians rock 'n roll.

Dick Van Dyke stops, drops and rolls.

If you are trying to sleep, whether you wake or not when the ship docks, uses the thrusters to dock, etc. is totally an individual issue. Many people sleep right thru it. Some intentionally wake up to watch the docking. We call them "newbies." Some people wake up either to the thruster noise (particularly in aft cabins) or to the cessation of motion. No way to predict, white noise machine or no.

If you are worried about sleeping through it .. you can either request a wake up call (automated) or you can order room service via that card that hangs on the doorknob the night before. They will call you when they are ready to bring the food to your room ... so that should wake you up.

They really slow down when pulling into the ports ... sometimes, I will sleep right through it. I have been know to wake up only to pop my head out onto the balcony to check on the weather and exclaim -- we're already here!! People are oftentimes getting off the ship (notice how I didn't call it a boat? :D) -- so it is quite possible to sleep through it.

Personally!, I'm generally awake by 5-ish in the A.M. so I will be on my 2nd or so cup of non-Starbucks coffee, waiting for the sun to make its appearance, and docking to occur.

How well do you sleep at home?

We'd stay asleep. We've slept through large earthquakes. Only woken once to thrusters in about 40+ cruises.

Edited by SadieN

Everyone is different, I can sleep right through a docking, others will wake up the moment the motion stops. We always travel with a small alarm clock each, but you can request a wake up call from the PSD or set the alarm

on your phone.

How can anyone answer that without knowing you.

Asking because I very much want to sleep through it and more importantly want my kids to sleep through it!! Just looking to see what percentage of people sleep through vs wake up.

Even with a white noise machine, I always wake up due to the change in the motion of the ship. If you have before, good chances you will again. I'd be surprised if kids did though. Unless you are near where they are tying up to the dock, there isn't that much noise. But it is a definite change in the motion of the ship which my brain recognizes and wakes me up eager to start the day.

If you are ever sailing into Stockholm I strongly recommend setting your alarm to around an hour before the ship is due in and go up on deck...... the sail in is spectacular.

I would never rely on room service to wake me up for an important port..... I use the automated alarm. They sometimes have 'glitches' in the kitchen that can push everything back.

I have friends on an Eastbound TA with Disney at the moment. They are in extremely rough seas for a couple of days now and are really sick :( :eek:

They can't wait to be on dry land again and for the cessation of the motion of the ocean.