HAL Vancouver Transfers from Pier to YVR

bobchico

I am contemplating buying the HAL transfer from the pier to YVR after our NA cruise in August. I know it is more expensive than a cab or the Skytrain, but I am more concerned about the convenience. I don't want to fight to get a taxi or have to drag luggage to the train station.

Has anyone use the HAL transfers to the airport? Comments?

I have done the HAL transfer, but it has been several years and the procedure may have changed.

When I took that transfer it went fine. I am pleased with HAL transfers, and have used them in most disembarkation ports. Except for Ft. Lauderdale and San Diego, I have no reason not to use them. The transfer people are disembarked, busses loaded steadily, and off you go.

Anyway, the only thing I found difficult was the claiming of luggage. Our luggage was trucked to the airport separately from the bus. It was then lined up in a secure area there.

When the bus arrived we were allowed into the secure area in small groups. Then we had to proceed to check-in, line up for security, line up for US Immigration and Customs. Since the busses were all arriving one after another, that made for huge crowds, and long lines. There was no opportunity to get ahead of the pack.

If you go on your own you can either attempt to go early, and beat the crowd, or (assuming your flight time allows), wait until the crowds have thinned (if they ever do).

We used transfers many years ago, but only because we had 3 people and didn't think all of us with our luggage would fit in cab. We generally think cabs are quicker/easier, and usually cheaper for 2 people. We have never had to "fight" for a cab ... just line up and wait our turn.

I have done the HAL transfer, but it has been several years and the procedure may have changed.

When I took that transfer it went fine. I am pleased with HAL transfers, and have used them in most disembarkation ports. Except for Ft. Lauderdale and San Diego, I have no reason not to use them. The transfer people are disembarked, busses loaded steadily, and off you go.

Anyway, the only thing I found difficult was the claiming of luggage. Our luggage was trucked to the airport separately from the bus. It was then lined up in a secure area there.

When the bus arrived we were allowed into the secure area in small groups. Then we had to proceed to check-in, line up for security, line up for US Immigration and Customs. Since the busses were all arriving one after another, that made for huge crowds, and long lines. There was no opportunity to get ahead of the pack.

If you go on your own you can either attempt to go early, and beat the crowd, or (assuming your flight time allows), wait until the crowds have thinned (if they ever do).

Good point about the crowds at the airport when the cruise buses arrive. I always try to beat them (at any airport) as the lines tend to get to be longer when they arrive. Plus YVR is a bit of a long walk and hassle if returning to US.

I am contemplating buying the HAL transfer from the pier to YVR after our NA cruise in August. I know it is more expensive than a cab or the Skytrain, but I am more concerned about the convenience. I don't want to fight to get a taxi or have to drag luggage to the train station.

Has anyone use the HAL transfers to the airport? Comments?

There's a third option.... drag luggage to Fairmont Waterfront across the street or Fairmont Pacific Rim a block away for a shorter taxi line. Both closer than dragging to the subway.

We used the HAL transfer one week ago. Things have changed a wee bit from what Ruth describes above.

We claimed our luggage right after disembarking the ship. There were free luggage carts and porters if one was required. We loaded our luggage onto a cart and pushed it to the bus area. There are six lanes and we were directed into one of the six. There didn't seem to be any logic to which lane was used first - people in front of us were told lane 6, we were told lane 5 and a subsequent group of people were directed to lane 4. They tried to load lane 6 first but people in lane 4 got angry. At that point, we were near the front so it seems that they allowed people from each line depending on how large their party was. I think it would have been quite efficient had the lane 4 people not thrown a hissy fit but I digress.

Once we were through the line, we pushed the cart to the bus to which we were directed. We boarded the bus; they took care of loading the luggage and removing the cart.

At the airport, there is no longer a mass of buses at once. We first went to a holding area in which everyone stayed on the bus. It was like a temporary parking lot away from the terminal. They only allow two buses at a time at the terminal. The first passengers who were let off were the US and international passengers; their terminal was first. Their luggage was offloaded; those of us who were flying domestically had to look to make sure our luggage was not offloaded there. If they were accidentally offloaded, we were to tell the driver who would then load them again. Then we were driven to the domestic terminal and our luggage was offloaded.

It was very easy and fairly well organized. Yes, it did cost a little more. Taxis to/from YVR cost around C$40 with tip; the HAL transfers costs US$25. However, we were advised that there was an issue with the taxis no longer being able to come down to the terminal level of Canada Place. Two couples that I spoke with at the airport did not have an issue with getting a taxi but they were able to schlep their luggage.

I would probably do it again. It's difficult to handle our luggage (two large bags, and two carry-ons plus our purses. This time we had three small bags in addition to the two large ones; we checked one of the normal carry-ons. My mother only has one hand available for a bag as she uses a cane while travelling and she can't stand in a lineup for long periods of time.

I personally wouldn't use the train unless I had only one suitcase and a backpack per person.

The convenience of the HAL transfer outweighed the extra cost, IMO. I was much more relaxed (until the lane 4 hissy fit) because I knew we would not miss our flight due to long taxi waits.

I hope that helps in your decision.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I have not used HAL transfers in Vancouver. My taxi experience there is very good. There is a taxi dispatcher who you line up behind - about 4 taxis back in to the area and they systematically fill them. I don't think one has to fight for a taxi. I suppose a lot depends on how much luggage you have in determining a HAL transfer or a taxi. Another factor is how many ships are in that day. Also we normally have expedited embarkation and walk off with our luggage. The sooner one can leave the ship, the easier the whole process is IMO.

I have not used HAL transfers in Vancouver. My taxi experience there is very good. There is a taxi dispatcher who you line up behind - about 4 taxis back in to the area and they systematically fill them. I don't think one has to fight for a taxi. I suppose a lot depends on how much luggage you have in determining a HAL transfer or a taxi. Another factor is how many ships are in that day. Also we normally have expedited embarkation and walk off with our luggage. The sooner one can leave the ship, the easier the whole process is IMO.

It definitely depends on the ships in port. Disembarked on 5/5 and waited about 25 minutes for a taxi. Disembarked on 5/14 (3 ships in port) and waited an hour and half for a taxi (which cost $34.40 Canadian) to the airport. I wished I had done the HAL transfer.

We used the transfer two weeks ago, and we would never again consider anything else. It worked incredibly smoothly. We found our bags inside the terminal and pushed them out to where six buses were lined up. Our bags were loaded onto a bus, and we took our seats. Our driver was hilarious -- could have been a stand-up comedian. He took us on a route that avoided most heavy traffic (even though it was on a Saturday). When we got to the airport, our bus was the first one to arrive, so the driver was able to pull out of the waiting area immediately. Our bags were pulled out from under the bus right in front of the International Terminal, and we were on our way.

The cost for using the transfer is very little above that of a taxi, there's literally no waiting. It's way easier than using a cab, which we've done a number of times. I would definitely recommend using the transfer.

Did you purchase the transfers after you boarded the ship?

We did. We purchased them the day before disembarkation. Just watch the shorex office hours because, on our cruise, they were limited hours. They were only open for two hours in the morning of the final full sea day. They were open again for one hour, in the morning of the last full day of the cruise, in Victoria, which is when we purchased them.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

It's a good idea to do it that way.

If you purchase the transfers before your cruise, you pay for them then, as they are added to the fare. But if you purchase them on board, the charge goes on your on-board account. It counts toward the next $300 for a Mariner "Bonus" day.

That may or may not make a difference in accumulating Days, but it can't hurt.

On the disembarkation questionnaire, I checked that I wanted to purchase the transfer and then turned it in. It showed up on my statement (I check every few days).

I just thought of something: I didn't receive a "ticket" so how did the shuttle know that I had paid? I just went to the shuttle area, gave them my luggage, and got on the shuttle. I must have an honest face. :)

Edited by dobiemom

On the disembarkation questionnaire, I checked that I wanted to purchase the transfer and then turned it in. It showed up on my statement (I check every few days).

I just thought of something: I didn't receive a "ticket" so how did the shuttle know that I had paid? I just went to the shuttle area, gave them my luggage, and got on the shuttle. I must have an honest face. :)

We didn't receive a ticket either probably because it's too much to juggle with the luggage (that's my story and I'm sticking with it!). I believe we had to give our names to the shoreside staff before boarding the bus. I recall she had a clipboard but little more than that. I must have a bad memory since it was only a week ago!

This is how we did it, too. No tickets, but we did have the luggage tags that showed we had purchased the transfer.

A comment for anyone finding this thread who is considering Skytrain. It's of course less expensive than the other options, but I'd also say that it's fairly simple. While you do have to roll/carry your bags about a quarter mile, including the hill out of the terminal (Canada Place), it's pretty easy physically, unless you have so much baggage that toting it 20 minutes is out of the question.

Just be sure to find the Skytrain as opposed to the set of track which service other routes (we did not realize this until we got to the platform for those other routes - should have just asked someone). We'll definitely use the Skytrain again if ever going to YVR.

A comment for anyone finding this thread who is considering Skytrain. It's of course less expensive than the other options, but I'd also say that it's fairly simple. While you do have to roll/carry your bags about a quarter mile, including the hill out of the terminal (Canada Place), it's pretty easy physically, unless you have so much baggage that toting it 20 minutes is out of the question.

Just be sure to find the Skytrain as opposed to the set of track which service other routes (we did not realize this until we got to the platform for those other routes - should have just asked someone). We'll definitely use the Skytrain again if ever going to YVR.

There is an entrance to the Skytrain about 30 metres from Canada Place. But this goes to a platform that serves the Expo and Millennium lines. As I mentioned in a previous thread, there is no down escalator to platform level, although there is one going up. Those Skytrain lines will take you to the railway station (VIA Rail and Amtrak). The line that goes to the airport is the Canada line.

As indicated above it is best to walk around to the Waterfront Station. If it was belting down with rain I might go through the closer entrance and struggle a bit to get down to platform level. From the platform there is an escalator and elevator up to the main station. That will lead you to the Canada line.

On our cruise last year we took the HAL bus connection to the airport although we were going to take the Skytrain. We had a fair bit of OBC and, with the Explore 4 goodies, we had some left over. It was a convenient service which in reality didn't cost us anything. I doubt we would have paid US$28 per person, though.

We have since been to Vancouver (in by air, out by train) and stayed at the Pan Pacific. We used the Sytrain frequently over the two days, not just getting in and out of downtown.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo

We disembarked 4/15, same day as Alberta Quilter. We self disembarked, rolled bags to new taxi staging area directly in front of Canada Place, walked through the ques got into cab, directly to airport international (US) terminal, checked bags. Our longest wait was the TSA line, but it was twice as long when we cleared the area. We then completed customs into US, stopped at Starbucks and was at our gate before 9:30. There was no waiting for taxi, $35 plus tip. Two ships were disembarking at that time, with another on the way.

The taxi option worked perfectly for us. The new taxi que (since the last time we disembarked in Vancouver) was so much better.