Marina's Drydock

rheasue38

The number of ports that have land based connections is very limited. NCL has had this feature for awhile. Basically it the major Caribbean ports and some of the large Med ports.

Edited by PaulMCO

The number of ports that have land based connections is very limited. NCL has had this feature for awhile. Basically it the major Caribbean ports and some of the large Med ports.

Today we are in Bilbao.

Not much else noticed for the interior except a new food service counter in the concierge lounge.

The exterior hull has a new coat of paint and according to crew members they did some work on the props and thrusters.

As I understand the way the new systems work, when in port they use land based Internet connection for the ship's Wifi. When at sea they have quadrupled the bandwidth (not to be confused with speed), but the speed is still via satellite, so slow. Where this will be a marginal improvement (when at sea), is when everyone is online (4-6 PM on a sea day) and it used to take 2 minutes for a page to load, now it will take 30 seconds. Not great, but still an improvement and in line with Norwegian's press release.

So when at sea we now have a 8 lane highway where we used to have a 2 lane highway, but the speed limit is still 35 mph. When in port we also now have a 8 lane highway where we used to have a 2 lane highway, but the speed limit has increased to 300 mph. Speed amounts I used are strictly for illustration purposes and does not reflect the actual differences between at sea and land based speed. I thought this example might give those who are less tech savvy a better idea of how things work.

Thank you for your very knowledgable comment! Makes total sense.

We were onboard the Marina before and after the dry dock. In addition to new carpeting, they also reupholstered all the furniture, wallpaper is new, curtains are either new or cleaned. Our pillows are new, don't know if that is true of all the staterooms. Don't notice much change with the wifi since there are so many people online due to OLife.

You're never going to have fast internet service, especially at sea, when you have 200+ cruisers simultaneously trying to upload hundreds of 10+ megapixel pictures to the cloud. All this while the ship has to maintain its regular communications.

This doesn't seem a difficult concept for me, I just don't understand the expectations of some! Perhaps Oceania launching its own fleet of dedicated satellites so Grandma can send that important picture of her with the camel to the grandchildren immediately! :rolleyes:

Correction to my prior post about Marina's wifi.

Had dinner with the GM Damien Lacroix tonight who specifically said that Marina's bandwith was increased 4 fold during the dry dock.

As if to prove his point, I was able to stream a previously recorded Warriors game - not something I expected I could do. Did this in late evening (9-ish).