Back to Alaska, WOW!

framer

I just got back from an inside passage w/GB. It started out slow for good images, more like zippo 1st couple of days. GB was OK but it rain a bit too much with a heavy overcast. I got some nice pano's but not spectacular and zero wildlife. Did a whale watching in Juneau and had a grand time with perfect weather and good finds. Ketchikan was clear and unlimited viability, almost too bright, no clouds. Got some real nice eagle photos there.

I'll post a few images here over the next few days, anyone having new stuff from Alaska this year feel free to post and share.

big-2a.jpg

100% of the head area...

big-2b.jpg

Nikon D810 w/70-200mm f/2.8 AFS II @ f/5.6 1/6400 ISO 1250

framer

We were passing a channel marker and a couple of seals got into a brief fight.

seal-sml-3a.jpg

seal-sml-1a.jpg

seal-sml-2a.jpg

D3s w/400mm f/2.8 AFS f5.6 1/750 - 1/1000 ISO 1250

framer

Edited by framer

IMHO the hardest thing to get a good photo of is a breaching whale. I had a 400mm f/2.8 on a D3s and it didn't allow enough time to align up and get the image focused. I switched to a 70-200 f/2.8 on a D810 and got better success but missed a lot before the switch. You never know where the whale will breach...

The 1st two images were using the 400mm.

I was told this was a rare spinner breach.

a-spinner.jpg

b1-whale.jpg

From a 70-200mm, It gives a easier time to point the camera to the subject.

b2-whale.jpg

Mr. Click, it's about speed, you need to buy fast gear.

framer

A couple more eagle's, click on the link for full size then you may need to click on the displayed image to make it full size, they are big.

sml-3.jpg

http://www.fastpictureframing.com/ak/big-3.jpg

sml-4.jpg

http://www.fastpictureframing.com/ak/big-4.jpg

Looks like he's got a fish in his talons.

This trip was a blast, got way more images than I will ever print.

framer

Got to show one Glacier. Margerie Glacier GBNP

nr-1st-glacier-margerie-2c.jpg

Click on image for full size @ 72 DPI

D810 70-200 @70mm f/2.8 AFS vr II 1/2000, f/5.6 ISO 320 10 frames merged in CS6

framer

Edited by framer

Thanks for sharing framer! We got off the ship (Carnival Legend) from Alaska a week ago, but none of my pictures compare to yours. I took some decent pictures and co-workers/family will say how wonderful they are, but yours are much better. We did 2 whale watch trips in Juneau and only saw blows, backs, and a few tails. Here are a few of my better shots.

Small%20black%20bear_zpsiuz9qzxz.jpg

A%20final%20view_zpsqammbvwt.jpg

DSC03656_zpshvvn57tp.jpg

This one is at 1000mm equivalent with an FZ-300 bridge camera and 1.7x tele-convertor, don't be too harsh. The A6000 with a 55-210 couldn't even approach this picture; I tried.

f25617408_zpsbq6jsn4l.jpg

Wow, great pictures & weather!! Will be headed up there in the next 17 days, an I sure can't wait!! Every time I've gone to Alaska, its been in Sept an of course it's cold & wet, but I didn't care, this time am hopin for sunny weather!!

Wow, great pictures & weather!! Will be headed up there in the next 17 days, an I sure can't wait!! Every time I've gone to Alaska, its been in Sept an of course it's cold & wet, but I didn't care, this time am hopin for sunny weather!!

Good luck to you. Our weather was very good. It did not rain on us when we were outside on the Alaskan cruise (8 nights) or during the 4.5 days we were in Seattle after the cruise.

To be fair, the cruise ship did rock-n-roll for 24 hours in rough water on the 2nd day and it rained like crazy, but that was a sea day and didn't count toward the weather record. :)

To keep this on topic, another Alaska picture, Emerald Lake at noon on May 20:

DSC04552_zpsim8osr7n.jpg

Nice bear image. I've never seen a bear in three trips. I love clear weather day's but IMHO a light full overcast makes most photos much better. Sunrise and sunset images need some clouds to be interesting.

You never know what conditions you get, luck & timing plays a big roll.

Thanks for posting your pictures.

framer

I agree on getting a whale out of water shot, they don't stay in the air long, LOL! All I got was a huge splash shot, the splash was impressive because there was a boat partially behind the splash so you could see just how big of a splash it was, LOL!

Good luck to you. Our weather was very good. It did not rain on us when we were outside on the Alaskan cruise (8 nights) or during the 4.5 days we were in Seattle after the cruise.

To be fair, the cruise ship did rock-n-roll for 24 hours in rough water on the 2nd day and it rained like crazy, but that was a sea day and didn't count toward the weather record. :)

DSC04552_zpsim8osr7n.jpg

Have been in May (2008) and August (2013) and am going back soon (June 11)... In 2013, we drove the Klondike from Skagway to Emerald Lake; so worth the drive. Here's my pic

EmeraldLake.jpg.aa29cb8ac9cdc4657e6dca9903e42a3c.jpg

Hey, will be seein that lake in a couple of weeks, I do hope the weather is nice & sunny.

Emerald lake is on the West side of the Klondike Highway. It would be better to get there before noon to have the sun at your back. We intentionally skipped several turn-outs just to get to Emerald lake slightly before noon. Unfortuneately, I forgot to stop at the tiny desert on the way back to Skagway. We did take a great deal of good pictures on this day trip.

I would recommend reserving/renting a car in Skagway and driving the Klondike highway to others. You can go at your own pace. We used Avis with a reservation and no issues. If you do, I recommend you search for and purchase ($5) Murray's road guide then print it for your cruise trip. It is a mile-by-mile description of anything important or interesting on the Klondike highway from Skagway to Whitehorse.

Emerald lake is on the West side of the Klondike Highway. It would be better to get there before noon to have the sun at your back. We intentionally skipped several turn-outs just to get to Emerald lake slightly before noon. Unfortuneately, I forgot to stop at the tiny desert on the way back to Skagway. We did take a great deal of good pictures on this day trip.

I would recommend reserving/renting a car in Skagway and driving the Klondike highway to others. You can go at your own pace. We used Avis with a reservation and no issues. If you do, I recommend you search for and purchase ($5) Murray's road guide then print it for your cruise trip. It is a mile-by-mile description of anything important or interesting on the Klondike highway from Skagway to Whitehorse.

We made the drive and day leisurely when we drove to Emerald Lake, so noon was well behind us. Rented a (much cheaper) van from Sourdough for the eight of us. Wasn't fancy, but it got us there and back.

Also visited Caribou Crossing, went through the Wildlife Museum (unbelievable), met the sled dogs/pups at Husky Village and panned for a little gold :-}

Murray's Guide is a must and worth more than its price.

The drive to Emerald Lake doesn't provide Alaska's prettiest scenery (in my opinion) -- that honor, I think, goes to Tracy Arm (photo included). Our large group split up to do different things in Ketchikan and one brave soul snorkeled. Might be worth it to see the colorful starfish of Alaska (photo).

tracyarm.jpg.7a923a5109f85722e29e4272ecd2fe2a.jpg

starfish.jpg.0a38dfe95ef42ca94e1f359cae71e832.jpg

We were scheduled for Tracy Arm on the afternoon of May 18, but did the small boat excursion at Endicott Arm Fjord instead due to ice in Tracy Arm.

The ship came within 2 miles of the Dawes glacier. Look for the not-so-small boat in the first picture for scale.

Look%20for%20the%20not%20so%20small%20boat_zpsvbclkkyl.jpg

DSC03261_zps73fkrnd3.jpg

Nice bear image. I've never seen a bear in three trips. I love clear weather day's but IMHO a light full overcast makes most photos much better. Sunrise and sunset images need some clouds to be interesting.

You never know what conditions you get, luck & timing plays a big roll.

Thanks for posting your pictures.

framer

We saw 2 on the side of the Klondike highway that day plus quite a few stuffed ones in the taxidermy museum at Caribou Crossing near carcross.

Bigger%20black%20bear_zpswby9enkm.jpg

DSC04684_zpsfxexahzx.jpg

Largest%20mounted%20polar%20bear_zpszkfsikjx.jpg

DSC04552_zpsim8osr7n.jpg

Hey thanks Flatlander, but I ain't gonna hold my breath for sunny weather!! Anybody see the video on the Celebrity Infinity plowin in at Ketchikan? I thought maybe in two weeks, the Nieuw Amsterdam would be docked at pier 3, but now I'm not sure where the ship will dock.

Hey thanks Flatlander, but I ain't gonna hold my breath for sunny weather!! Anybody see the video on the Celebrity Infinity plowin in at Ketchikan? I thought maybe in two weeks, the Nieuw Amsterdam would be docked at pier 3, but now I'm not sure where the ship will dock.

A friend of mine sent me the video, knowing I'll be there in 11 days :-0

If I remember, I'll return and let you know about dockings in Ketchikan when I get back.

A friend of mine sent me the video, knowing I'll be there in 11 days :-0

If I remember, I'll return and let you know about dockings in Ketchikan when I get back.

Oh that would be good to know. Thanks. One question, who lives in the house off to the right of the picture?

Edited by gottagoacruzn