Celebrity Moving Down Market??

vancojo

Try finding a sommelier in an NCL main dining room! I sure couldn't on my recent Breakaway voyage!

Had them every night on Sun in April (20 days) and Star last month (14 days). In fact, much more visable than on any Celebrity cruise in the last 5 or 6 years.

Edited by ECCruise

Oh yeah, I can agree with the children thing, our med cruise was still a great holiday, but there were just too many kids for the ship to properly handle really. They started hanging around in massive (20+) groups as well, and messing around, leaving rubbish everywhere, knocking on peoples cabin doors late at night.. it just went on and on. There were a great deal of people on the ship (The indy) who were in inside cabins, which they had got a very cheap last minute deal on, so the cruse unfortunately attracted the sort of people who it normally wouldn't, especially as it included drinks packages.

It was particularly irritating, because for them, the holiday was a cheap boozy one, whereas for some of us, it still cost full price of 8000+ for the family.

Kids are great, you expect them on a cruise of course, but the ones on the ship I sailed to Norway with were all well behaved and nice. The ones on the indy to the med were just the opposite.

And I didn't frequent the bars after 10pm particularly, but the drinking is definitely more of a problem with many British people, especially when the drinks are included.

And you don't have to tell me about the horrible habit of British people wearing football shirts on holiday- Im a massive football fan and a season ticket holder, but those shirts have no place on adults outside of the matches themselves.

I would never travel carnival, maybe some folks love it, but its definitely not the line for us! So we are trying celebrity, not from the UK, for those reasons. Definitely no more Southampton for us.

I think you're okay if going north, but going to the Med is a different matter. We sailed to Iceland and Norway from Harwich and had a wonderful cruise; a fabulous roll call with a nice mix of nationalities :). Do we ever book from Southampton to the Med: no, not for us and we do travel with teens ;). We'd rather fly to Venice, Rome, Barcelona etc. and embark there :).

Yes lets keep Celebrity as kid free as possible. I get flamed every time I say this. Yet I still say it. Good to see someone who was on Royal Carib, which has all kinds of stuff for kids, say that there are too many kids so they have returned to Celeb. Hope they dont bring their kids with them.

I have a personal policy: I will not cruise on any ship that has water slides, rock climbing wall, or wave making machines. I have been on Celebrity ships with a few children aboard and for the most part they were very well behaved. Celebrity has limited facilities for children, which is good, I just don't want to see Celebrity overtly marketing to families with children. If they do, I will move on to one of the higher end lines and only cruise once a year :( rather than cruising 3 times a year on Celebrity :).

Edited by El Crucero

I have a personal policy: I will not cruise on any ship that has water slides, rock climbing wall, or wave making machines. I have been on Celebrity ships with a few children aboard and for the most part they were very well behaved. Celebrity has limited facilities for children, which is good, I just don't want to see Celebrity overtly marketing to families with children. If they do, I will move on to one of the higher end lines and only cruise once a year :( rather than cruising 3 times a year on Celebrity :).

I hate to disappoint you, but I'd definitely say this email I received was marketing to families:

image.jpg1_zpsibacnfu7.jpg

I see Crystal in your future :rolleyes: :D.

Edited by villauk

I think you're okay if going north, but going to the Med is a different matter. We sailed to Iceland and Norway from Harwich and had a wonderful cruise; a fabulous roll call with a nice mix of nationalities :). Do we ever book from Southampton to the Med: no, not for us and we do travel with teens ;). We'd rather fly to Venice, Rome, Barcelona etc. and embark there :).

We've done the Celebrity Eclipse ex Southampton for the last two years to the Med

- No noticeable drunkenness,

- Hardly any kids on board (early September cruise)

Thats exactly it, our norway cruise on the indy was wonderful, quite a few kids as it was may school holiday, but you didnt even notice, it was a great cruise.

The med in summer from southampton... never again haha.

We've done the Celebrity Eclipse ex Southampton for the last two years to the Med

- No noticeable drunkenness,

- Hardly any kids on board (early September cruise)

Well you've just explained why it was okay yourself, you went in early September.

UK schools go back early September, so you wouldn't get many families aboard in comparison, hence why it would be okay. I mainly mean during school holidays, thats when the ships can become hellish with the unpleasant, unruly families (i dont just mean because they have kids- kids are fine- i mean the not so nice variety).

I hate to disappoint you, but I'd definitely say this email I received was marketing to families:

I see Crystal in your future :rolleyes: :D.

I guess what I mean by "marketing to families" is by adding water slides, rock climbing wall, and wave making machines to the existing Celebrity ships. I find the current level of families with children on Celebrity to be acceptable......at least on the itineraries and time of year I select. I love the adults only pool on Celebrity ships!

• 1 month later...

Completely agree with the OP. We were on Reflection 12 months ago and just off Equinox. An entirely different experience whereby we have decided never again. The positives of the cruise last year was the service and food quality. Now these have become negatives.

- the quality of the food in the ocean view in particular has markedly decreased. Dry food. Poor variety. Recycling food from previous services. Poor quality ingredients. Preferred having lunches off the ship.

- the drinks service was generally crappy. Everyone on packages so no incentive for better service. Tips are seemingly shared equally so no incentive for good service. Unless of course you tipped in advance.

- the wine waiters in the MDR were run off their feet. Brusquely asked for preferences without even having the chance to see a menu.

- they will stop the ability to get water with alcoholic drinks. A few servers were already instructed on this.

- premium drinks like Perrier not available in many outlets.

- public bathrooms not cleaned as frequently. No towels and paper towels on a number of occasions.

- also felt like there was less security staff. They were visible last year and far less so this year.

The new all inclusive packages have attracted a different type of crowd. Also, the lack of a formal night has changed the vibe on the ship.

The supporters and apologists for Celebrity will no doubt argue against this but "modern luxury" is not a pleasant experience. Hard earned money and time wasted. Lesson learned.

Edited by Pavovsky

Completely agree with the OP. We were on Reflection 12 months ago and just off Equinox. An entirely different experience whereby we have decided never again. The positives of the cruise last year was the service and food quality. Now these have become negatives.

- the quality of the food in the ocean view in particular has markedly decreased. Dry food. Poor variety. Recycling food from previous services. Poor quality ingredients. Preferred having lunches off the ship.

- the drinks service was generally crappy. Everyone on packages so no incentive for better service. Tips are seemingly shared equally so no incentive for good service. Unless of course you tipped in advance.

- the wine waiters in the MDR were run off their feet. Brusquely asked for preferences without even having the chance to see a menu.

- they will stop the ability to get water with alcoholic drinks. A few servers were already instructed on this.

- public bathrooms not cleaned as frequently. No towels and paper towels on a number of occasions.

- also felt like there was less security staff. They were visible last year and far less so this year.

The new all inclusive packages have attracted a different type of crowd. Also, the lack of a formal night has changed the vibe on the ship.

The supporters and apologists for Celebrity will no doubt argue against this but "modern luxury" is not a pleasant experience. Hard earned money and time wasted. Lesson learned.

We did in Solstice to Alaska in June and had the complete opposite experience you had. But each ship could offer a completely different experience based on officers and crew I guess.

Sometimes a call or note to the Hotel Director or Housekeeping Director would resolve the public bathroom issues.

I'm not negating your experiences, but each cruise takes on a different atmosphere. The demographics make a huge difference. We usually sail b2b cruises, primarily in Europe, and a TA. Each cruise is always quite different. And Modern Luxury is open to perception.

I had a reference point of 12 months. I accept that ships are different but corporate decisions such as reducing costs, going all inclusive and removing formal nights have in our experience made a big difference. I will post a comprehensive and balanced review - it was not all bad but the dis improvements in key areas mean we are unlikely to go again. On another cruise in December with another line.

Before we took our first cruise with Celebrity on the Constellation in February. I read the reviews and reluctantly booked but in the back of my mind wondered if it was going to be a train wreck of a cruise based on everyones reviews,

such as yours with bad food, slow drink service, dirty public bathrooms and so on.

We had the exact opposite experience. We have been on other cruises on different cruise lines such as Princess and HAL.

I understand cruise lines must make a dollar but I felt on Connie, service was excellent the interaction between guests (meaning myself) and workers was great too. 99% of the time we were always greeted with a smile and a how are you. Drink service was very good too. Never really had to wait much at all. Food service in MDR was excellent never was an issue. Customer service where we went to with a couple questions, we were always treated nicely, no rude CS people. Public bathrooms were spotless and always seen a worker in thier cleaning.I was totally imprssed.

I beleive the food quantitys are small that I did notice but asked for more if i felt i did not get enough. Buffet was good too, try to not go to buffets just based on too much food and I eat too much.

I guess like others posted on this thread every ship is different. I truly enjoy my vacations cruisng.

Edited by cheeseheads4ever

That is very sad... I hope you expressed your opinion on your comments email. The saddest part X don't care, they got the money and they are moving on to the next pax. Their booking are strong with perks, so they don't have to consider if you are coming back. Going on equinox in December and hoping for a good experience as I had before. And if it is not - there are other cruise lines................

Sometimes a call or note to the Hotel Director or Housekeeping Director would resolve the public bathroom issues.

I'm not negating your experiences, but each cruise takes on a different atmosphere. The demographics make a huge difference. We usually sail b2b cruises, primarily in Europe, and a TA. Each cruise is always quite different. And Modern Luxury is open to perception.

We hear what you say, but when we have to start asking the hotel department to please clean and restock rest rooms, it might be time to look elsewhere. That being said, we have not had a bad rest room experience on X....yet! But when we see the recent negative comments we are wondering how much worse it has gotten since our last X cruise in Nov. We have another Nov cruise this year...so we shall see.

But as we posted after our 14 days on the Eclipse (late last year)....when CEO Lisa decided that X could no longer afford to provide bottled water in Aqua Class (which must have cost X about $1 a day) we saw the writing on the wall. When a CEO decides to impose major price increases coupled with lots of nickle and dime cut-backs....this is not good. Fortunately, for us, there are many players in the cruise line industry and we tend to gravitate towards the lines on their way up....not on the ones trying to sink (pun intended).

Hank

well....we all have differing opinions it seems...

we were on Eclipse April TA in 2015 and Reflection April TA in 2016....they were both excellent cruises and we did not find the cutbacks that some are mentioning here.

Our food service was excellent in all the venues we tried...we DO try to avoid the buffet on all ships as much as possible but when we were there the only real difference I found was the lack of the shrimp salad I used to really enjoy...

we've been cruising on X for over 17 years and while the product is different now than what it was then we still find it superior to Princess and Royal(both of which we have cruised fairly recently)

We enjoyed the Reflection and Eclipse so much that we are now booked on the Equinox TA from Barcelona in October.....so they are still making some of us happy.....:)

Yes I agree everyone has an opinion. Some people are easy to please and others hard to please. I guess it depends what your expectations are. I feel for the price its not a bad vacation. I also realize there are 2000 people on a cruise and everyone has different tastes. Just hard to please everyone.

I feel if Celebrity would read these reviews and take into account what people are not liking, change somethings for the better they would have happier cruisers.

Yes I agree everyone has an opinion. Some people are easy to please and others hard to please. I guess it depends what your expectations are. I feel for the price its not a bad vacation. I also realize there are 2000 people on a cruise and everyone has different tastes. Just hard to please everyone.

I feel if Celebrity would read these reviews and take into account what people are not liking, change somethings for the better they would have happier cruisers.

No doubt you're right!! You said your cruise was on Connie....we've been on her twice and thought the service was great and the staff very friendly.

I love your CC name!!! I was born in Wisconsin.... GO PACK GO!!!

Edited by Gracie115

Thanks! Been a life long packer fan. 25 years of attending games at Lambeau never missing one.

But anyway we loved Connie and enjoyed every minute on it. What is your next cruise?

We go on Equinox in November, then Summit in January and Silly in April for my birthday.

Have a good one.

Have been to a few games there....lucky you being able to go to all of them!!!

We are on Equinox TA bringing her back to Florida for you...arrive in Ft Lauderdale on Nov 6!!!

If you haven't been on the "S" class before you will love the Equinox!!!:) and Silhouette!:)

How was it to get drinks on Equinox? we like the Martini Bar.. Some people say its difficult. When on Connie i never had a problem.

Hi all, I am on the Equinox leaving on the 25th Aug. I have never had a bad experience yet on one of the ships, from the service at that bars to the cleanliness of the public toilets. I will keep an open mind and post my comments when I return. We were on the Equinox last Aug 15, so this could be interesting to see what differences a year makes.

I have to say, i'm not sure about the chic nights, they could've just changed them to cocktail nights and kept everyone reasonably well dressed! :rolleyes:

How was it to get drinks on Equinox? we like the Martini Bar.. Some people say its difficult. When on Connie i never had a problem.

I've never had a problem getting drinks on any of the Celebrity ships. We don't often cruise with a beverage package but we did both times we were on Connie and never had a problem. We usually wind up finding a particular lounge we like more than others and the staff gets to know us and service has always been good. We also occasionally tip a few $$ during the cruise, whether that makes a difference or not I don't know and don't do it to try to get better service, just because I've worked for tips before and they are always welcome!!! The martini bar is always busy but have never had an issue getting drinks there.

Our experience on the Equinox in March was just the opposite. Based on our most recent experience, I would go on the Equinox again without hesitation.