Mt. Roberts Tramway

Moriah

Does anyone have the hours of operation for the tram in September? I've been to Juneau many times but am going this time with a first-timer and she'll be doing shore excursions during the day. We don't dock until 1 PM but we don't sail away until 10 PM so I'm wondering if we can go up Mt. Roberts together in the evening? Anyone know if it will still be open at around 7 or 8 PM? I seem to recall being up there fairly late in the evening, but I realize mid-summer hours may be different than September...

I tried to find the info on their website but the hours aren't listed. I suggest you send them an email using their contact us info on the homepage: http://mountrobertstramway.com/

Good Luck!

I thought someone on CC might have personal experience being there in September who could jump in but you are right -Good idea - I will try to contact them. :)

I thought someone on CC might have personal experience being there in September who could jump in but you are right -Good idea - I will try to contact them. :)
We were there in Sep once - but didn't ride the tram that time. Besides, it was 9 years ago so any info I might have had wouldn't have been of much use. ;) Edited by catl331

Yes we have the experience of Juneau in early September, but we can only make an educated guess about what they will be doing this year.

The Mt. Roberts tramway gets maybe 98% of their customers from the cruise ships, so their hours of operation are influenced by the cruises ships in port.

The only way to be certain is ask them.:D Bon Voyage!

Edited by BumperII

I just did a google search "mt robert's tram hours" and found the following:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mount-roberts-tramway-juneau

Hours

Mon 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Tue 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Wed 8:00 am - 9:00 pm Closed now Thu 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Fri 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Sat 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Sun 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Hope this helps

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I just did a google search "mt robert's tram hours" and found the following:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mount-roberts-tramway-juneau

Hours

Mon 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Tue 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Wed 8:00 am - 9:00 pm Closed now Thu 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Fri 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Sat 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Sun 8:00 am - 9:00 pm

Yes, I saw that as well on yelp, but it doesn't seem to be up to date - I appreciate you doing the search though! I do think the chances are we'll be able to go up late in the evening even though it will be later in the season, since as was mentioned, there will be cruisers in port and presumably I'm not the only one wanting to do it...

Sunset, however, is 7 PM in Juneau on September 12... so it's possible they will close the tram then...

Edited by Moriah

Does anyone have the hours of operation for the tram in September? I've been to Juneau many times but am going this time with a first-timer and she'll be doing shore excursions during the day. We don't dock until 1 PM but we don't sail away until 10 PM so I'm wondering if we can go up Mt. Roberts together in the evening? Anyone know if it will still be open at around 7 or 8 PM? I seem to recall being up there fairly late in the evening, but I realize mid-summer hours may be different than September...

Assuming that you are from the US and have a telephone - call them.

GOLDBELT MOUNT ROBERTS TRAMWAY

(888) 461–8726

Tramway Information

490 S Franklin Street

Juneau, AK 99801

I can't figure out why people use the internet when calling would be easier and faster.

DON

Assuming that you are from the US and have a telephone - call them.

GOLDBELT MOUNT ROBERTS TRAMWAY

(888) 461–8726

Tramway Information

490 S Franklin Street

Juneau, AK 99801

I can't figure out why people use the internet when calling would be easier and faster.

DON

Because usually the internet is easier and faster. IF they had their hours listed on their web site, you could have found that information just as quickly as finding their phone number. It is odd that they don't list their hours.

As for other reasons - time zone differences, long distance charges, the time/ability to call from work, etc. could all be factors, especially from non-US residents.

Personally, I HATE making phone calls, so always try the internet first.

Because usually the internet is easier and faster. IF they had their hours listed on their web site, you could have found that information just as quickly as finding their phone number. It is odd that they don't list their hours.

As for other reasons - time zone differences, long distance charges, the time/ability to call from work, etc. could all be factors, especially from non-US residents.

Wow. Literally everything you just said could have come from me. Thanks for expressing that!!!

And you would miss the likely "pleasure" of wading through a voice mail system that may not be correct either.

On our last AK cruise we purchased tickets to the tramway from the shore excursion desk onboard. The price was about the same (maybe even less) and they offered to completely refund the tickets if you decided not to use them for any reason. Very convenient this way plus we were able to use our OBC.

On our last AK cruise we purchased tickets to the tramway from the shore excursion desk onboard. The price was about the same (maybe even less) and they offered to completely refund the tickets if you decided not to use them for any reason. Very convenient this way plus we were able to use our OBC.

Yes, and if weather is not great you can change your mind. Meanwhile, I did inquire using the form on their website, but no answer...

Agree 100%! For me the phone is the last resort since there's always a chance of talking to someone who doesn't know the correct answer ... especially when it's HAL! Edited by jtl513

But in this case as in most other cases on CC, the internet was not faster as the OP had to go into CC, type their message and then check CC occasionally to see if they got an answer. As long as you have a cell phone and live in the US, there are no long distance charges. If you need to know what the time is in your target city, just type "what is the current time in XX" and you will have solved your time zone problem. I even got the phone number for Mt.Roberts tramway by typing "phone number for mt. roberts tranway" into Google.

Whenever I need to find information on almost anything, Google and not some board is always the first place I go to. I honestly feel that going to CC or any other board to get information that you could get quickly using Google is just being lazy.

With regard to the previous post from JTI15 about the fact that if you telephone you may get someone one the phone who does not know the answer or gives you an incorrect one, we all know that many answers from CC respondents are also incorrect or incomplete.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

But in this case as in most other cases on CC, the internet was not faster as the OP had to go into CC, type their message and then check CC occasionally to see if they got an answer. As long as you have a cell phone and live in the US, there are no long distance charges. If you need to know what the time is in your target city, just type "what is the current time in XX" and you will have solved your time zone problem. I even got the phone number for Mt.Roberts tramway by typing "phone number for mt. roberts tranway" into Google.

Whenever I need to find information on almost anything, Google and not some board is always the first place I go to. I honestly feel that going to CC or any other board to get information that you could get quickly using Google is just being lazy.

With regard to the previous post from JTI15 about the fact that if you telephone you may get someone one the phone who does not know the answer or gives you an incorrect one, we all know that many answers from CC respondents are also incorrect or incomplete.

DON

Don, Don, I'm the OP and I hear you! I really do. :) The funny (if you see it) thing is I actually make my living doing information searches and internet research. To be honest, my reason for coming to CC isn't so much to get the hard data as it is to hear people's experiences! I was hoping to get some comments from those who had done it (or tried to) whether going up the tram in the evening in September was worth it, there was time to enjoy, whatever their experiences may have been... I just enjoy that kind of interaction on the boards. Also, because of my profession, I know that there is a lot of misinformation and dysinformation out there. I could call Mt. Roberts and get the official hours for the tram for the day I'll be there, and yes, that would be data (not necessarily reliable, as has been pointed out), BUT, I wouldn't get the extra fun of hearing the real life experiences of other CC'ers who went up there at night in September! Just sayin'! The boards are more than an information suppository. They are a place to "talk it out.". But all that said, your point was well taken. :)

Don, Don, I'm the OP and I hear you! I really do. :) The funny (if you see it) thing is I actually make my living doing information searches and internet research. To be honest, my reason for coming to CC isn't so much to get the hard data as it is to hear people's experiences! I was hoping to get some comments from those who had done it (or tried to) whether going up the tram in the evening in September was worth it, there was time to enjoy, whatever their experiences may have been... I just enjoy that kind of interaction on the boards. Also, because of my profession, I know that there is a lot of misinformation and dysinformation out there. I could call Mt. Roberts and get the official hours for the tram for the day I'll be there, and yes, that would be data (not necessarily reliable, as has been pointed out), BUT, I wouldn't get the extra fun of hearing the real life experiences of other CC'ers who went up there at night in September! Just sayin'! The boards are more than an information suppository. They are a place to "talk it out.". But all that said, your point was well taken. :)

So I guess that we basically agree. What does tick me off is that some people (I am not pointing at you at all here) go onto CC and ask a question such as "what will the average temperature in Anchorage be in August" or something just as simple. They could get the answer to this question and others of its ilk by just going onto Google directly and just typing "what will etc" which is exactly what they did CC except that they do not have to log into CC. I think that we both agree that this is shear laziness or an unwillingness to do any of their own research.

DON

So I guess that we basically agree. What does tick me off is that some people (I am not pointing at you at all here) go onto CC and ask a question such as "what will the average temperature in Anchorage be in August" or something just as simple. They could get the answer to this question and others of its ilk by just going onto Google directly and just typing "what will etc" which is exactly what they did CC except that they do not have to log into CC. I think that we both agree that this is shear laziness or an unwillingness to do any of their own research.

DON

Don, when I see the basic questions, such as you reference re, temps etc., I think of it as a question such as I, once a newbie, would have asked. In fact I may have asked that back in 2009 when I joined CC. I think a lot of us, when new, are more likely to believe someone here on CC, with more experience than anywhere else. Though nowadays I tend to do a google search first then ask here.

What I'm trying to say is that when I first joined CC, I had no idea that I could do a google search for average temps in the various cruising areas. I did know I could ask on CC and get an answer or directions to where and how to find it:)

Joanie