Cruise days in Maui - Road to Hana??

astridwilson

Is the Road to Hana doable on the second cruise day? Knowing the car needs to be turned in and the boat boarded at 5:30PM.

Seems that it is 41/2 hours of driving round trip and with frequent stops, an all day trip with an over night stay recommended?

I ask about the second day versus the first day as the first day is our very first day in paradise and I do not want to spend it in a car driving but in the water snorkeling or diving.

I do want to see Maui and this road trip seems like a must do. So what is a good turn around point? Waikani Falls? Nahiku?

So the plan is first day beach hopping to most likely snorkel and the second day on Road to Hana (kinda)

I wouldn't do the RTH on a day when I have to turn my rented car and be back on ship, after waiting for the shuttle to pier at the airport, and going through the security line.

When "timing" our stay in Maui, I took a lot of spare time into consideration. And, still, I didn't know that one rental company can team with another and send only ONE shuttle to pier, that a shuttle holds only 17 pax (twice the shuttle was filled before we got in and we had to wait for the next one - 20-30 min), the time u spend in line renting the car with others at the airport, the paperwork involved until you're out with the rented car, managing the GPS, parking at Maui Mall and walking back to ship ~20 min, even refueling...

The RTH is a one lane road, with narrow bridges and sharp turns, you really cannot "time" it like a regular road/highway.

On the other hand, u can time your snorkeling/diving activity and decide, let's say, that 3 hours in the water is enough :)

We did a leisurely RTH on day one and then went scuba diving day two - it worked out much better that way. You can be in the water at the falls and on the beach - it is still paradise.

Car rentals are popular on hawaii islands . I remember many years ago being on a ship to aussie . Car rental company didnt have enough drivers to get everyone back to ship on time Ship left eighteen people who had rented cars and left for pago pago

Since then have always been cautious about car rental in hawaii on day of departure

The Road to Hana is a fine way to "kill" an entire day. Yes...some scenery is great, some is barren...it's a LONG day in the car. There are plenty of other things to do on Maui....I'd save Hana for a land vacation, when you have ample time, and want a day of driving.

I wouldn't tempt this on short day due to the unknown's just as an accident can block traffic.

For us in all the cruises we've done to Hawaii we've only on Road to Hana once, we enjoyed it but have no need to do it again.