Grand Cayman

laginog

We have cruised a lot, but we haven't had a stop in Grand Cayman for quite a while. Years ago, we had to miss that port because of rough water & tendering. I believe that we only were able to go ashore twice in 5 stops. Have things changed? Some friends are planning one of their main big excursions there & I want them to be prepared if there's a good chance they won't be able to go ashore. I know it all depends on the water but.....I thought maybe tendering or anchoring had changed.

Thanks for the help!!

The odds are good for tendering over there. Weather sometimes prevent it but not very often. We've been there about 15 times and only once did we have to go to the other side of the island.

To me it is not what it was back in the 1990's. I thought it was a more classy island back then including the shops near the tender pier.

But it does have some nice activities such as snorkeling with the stingrays.

The other item that did change is that many years ago you might have three or four ships anchored and nowadays we have been there with seven ships.

Keith

Yes, I know, just by pass it. But, is there a usual replacement? Another side to the island?

I just want to be able to research other options that could be presented based on docking/tendering ability

Thanks

There is an alternate tendering site on the south shore of the island at Spotts. That site can only handle up to three ships, so some ships might have to pass by even though some can use the alternate site. And it is possible for both the normal location and the alternate to be blown out on the same day.

There are no alternate islands nearby to divert to. If the Cayman stop is cancelled due to weather then you will have an extra day at sea.